Is tipping on the way out?

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
Yeah but like others have pointed out that fee is usually going into the owners pocket, not the delivery guy

OK. You're paying for a service. People scoff at a $4 delivery fee to get food delivered to their door in 45 minutes but have no problem giving UPS $25 to deliver a letter within a day or 2. It's just crazy to me. I also find it amazing how little empathy people have when we live in a service based economy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
I can empathize with the delivery drivers, not with the owner who is the one that actually pockets the delivery fee.

Ups is typically driving more than a dozen miles, too.

I guess the other option is for people to get their fat asses off the couch and pick up their own food. You pay for service in every part of life. $4 to have food delivered to your door seems pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

You're also paying for convenience. It's no different than paying more at 7-11 than the grocery store.

I used to deliver for Nancys pizza in college. Nancys charged $3 per delivery and the drivers never saw a cent.

I would definitely advise people to tip if you order consistently. Drivers will fight to deliver the good tippers food fast. Bad tippers food will sit and on the rare occasion guys would hold the pizzas out the window in the winter to send these customers a message

QUOTE (lord chas @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
I used to deliver for Nancys pizza in college. Nancys charged $3 per delivery and the drivers never saw a cent.

I would definitely advise people to tip if you order consistently. Drivers will fight to deliver the good tippers food fast. Bad tippers food will sit and on the rare occasion guys would hold the pizzas out the window in the winter to send these customers a message

That is part of the problem. I always grease the delivery guy, but have always assumed the delivery fee was going into his pocket as well.

If someone orders $15 worth of food and pays a $4 delivery fee they assume the driver is getting, it is easy to see why the driver would get a weak tip or even stiffed.

There is something else I've noticed as well. Dine-in pizza joints simply do not exist anymore. At least any around me. They are all carry-out/delivery only.

We used to have a Pizza Hut that had a nice dining room and we would go there all the time. It closed years ago and moved to a different location that is only carry-out/delivery. We also had a Godfather's pizza many years ago.

There are a few Italian restaurants around here that happen to serve pizza, but none of the old-school pizza joints anymore. All the chain restaurants are the same. Papa John's, Little Ceasars, Dominos... Carry out or delivery only.

We do have one local place that is a buffet style. That's about as close as we get.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
There is something else I've noticed as well. Dine-in pizza joints simply do not exist anymore. At least any around me. They are all carry-out/delivery only.

We used to have a Pizza Hut that had a nice dining room and we would go there all the time. It closed years ago and moved to a different location that is only carry-out/delivery. We also had a Godfather's pizza many years ago.

There are a few Italian restaurants around here that happen to serve pizza, but none of the old-school pizza joints anymore. All the chain restaurants are the same. Papa John's, Little Ceasars, Dominos... Carry out or delivery only.

We do have one local place that is a buffet style. That's about as close as we get.

We have a ton around us. Local pizza places and then specialty places that sell brick oven pizzas.