Religion and Gun Attacks

jasonxctf

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
Nobody is prevented from saying "merry Christmas" that's what is annoying

Go visit a school and watch their Christmas, I mean Winter Season, play. They have colleges with Diversity Departments warning people that even a Christmas tree would be bad form and not 'inclusive'.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
Go visit a school and watch their Christmas, I mean Winter Season, play. They have colleges with Diversity Departments warning people that even a Christmas tree would be bad form and not 'inclusive'.

I have, public school district 300. My daughter sang Christmas songs, draedel song, and happy holidays. It wasn't nearly as bleached horrifying as you suggest

The elementary school my kid goes to does a "Winter Sing", but it is more than half Christmas songs, along with a lot of Jewish holiday tunes (our district does have a large Jewish population), and a couple secular wintery things. There are christmas trees and menorahs, and the usual decorations. Nothing sanitized about it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
I have, public school district 300. My daughter sang Christmas songs, draedel song, and happy holidays. It wasn't nearly as bleached horrifying as you suggest

A rare district indeed. Hope the show was good!

It's a solution to a "problem" that never existed.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)

My wife's a public school teacher. They can't do anything anymore. This year their Halloween parties were cancelled as well because a parent complained beforehand that they might be detrimental to their child's state of mind.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
I went to school with a Jehovah's Witness and we had "holiday parties" instead of "Christmas parties" and none of the kids actually cared. Do grown adults actually get upset if it's not called a "Christmas" party?

I'm a Christian and I don't give two s***s that people say Happy Holidays instead of Christmas anymore. However, in general, the politically correct police have grown completely out of control in recent years. Everyone is offended or bothered by something. Everything is always someone or something else's fault. And someone is always waiting with baited breath to file a lawsuit.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
My wife's a public school teacher. They can't do anything anymore. This year their Halloween parties were cancelled as well because a parent complained beforehand that they might be detrimental to their child's state of mind.

Again with my kid's elementary school, they had a huge Halloween parade and everything. All the kids, and the teachers and even the principal, all dressed up for it.

Maybe I'm just not seeing these things.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)

My son's school literally handed out Bibles last year. Trust me, schools not having enough Christianity in them isn't an issue in this country.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7056

UT-Knoxville’s set of guidelines suggests holiday parties should have no emphasis on religion or culture, but rather “build upon workplace relationships and team morale.” The school says these parties should never include religious or cultural games such as “Dreidel.”

Additionally, if a gift exchange is planned, the university says calling it “Secret Santa” is inappropriate. Instead, the exchange should be referred to in a more general way, such as “practical joke gift exchange” or “secret gift exchange.”

While specific recommendations were not given at the University of Illinois-Springfield, the school’s Holiday Resources page suggests employers should ensure their Holiday party is not a “Christmas party in disguise” and keep all decoration and food general and nonspecific to religion.

When holding holiday parties, food should be general and not privilege any religion. Groups should strive for consensus and seek decisions on party themes that “everyone can live with.”

Colleges are the worst, local schools, it pretty much depends on the neighborhood.

"Cornell is fortunate to have members from diverse religions on campus. According to the Cornell United

Religious Works, there are more than 25 religious organizations represented at Cornell. While there are many

religions that have no religious holiday between November and January, and while many members of Cornell’s

community do not practice a religion, the university encourages its members to respect differences in religious practices during this holiday season, and always. In an effort to create an inclusive environment".

Respect differences in religious practices!!!!!!! How dare they respect other people!

I guess I don't understand the problem with large public institutions with diverse staff and students not tailoring their official functions to one specific religion.

Nothing will beat when our regional office had a "cultural diversity food day" a few years back during Ramadan, though.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
"Cornell is fortunate to have members from diverse religions on campus. According to the Cornell United

Religious Works, there are more than 25 religious organizations represented at Cornell. While there are many

religions that have no religious holiday between November and January, and while many members of Cornell’s

community do not practice a religion, the university encourages its members to respect differences in religious practices during this holiday season, and always. In an effort to create an inclusive environment".

Respect differences in religious practices!!!!!!! How dare they respect other people!

You can respect it without having to include everything in every party. Do the Muslim students include Jews or crosses in their after-Ramadan celebrations?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
I guess I don't understand the problem with large public institutions with diverse staff and students not tailoring their official functions to one specific religion.

Nothing will beat when our regional office had a "cultural diversity food day" a few years back during Ramadan, though.

I think people tire of bending to a very small minority. I'm usually with them. It's great to be different. We all don't have to be the exact same in every way. This country is predominately Christian. The vast majority of people celebrate Christmas. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be inclusive to other peoples/religions as well, but it also doesn't mean we have to sanitize that tradition away.

I also think big public institutions like schools cave based on some expected blow back that may never arise. The "PC" culture has made people ASSUME things will cause an uproar, so they react before anything happens.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

I think people tire of bending to a very small minority. I'm usually with them. It's great to be different. We all don't have to be the exact same in every way. This country is predominately Christian. The vast majority of people celebrate Christmas. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be inclusive to other peoples/religions as well, but it also doesn't mean we have to sanitize that tradition away.

I also think big public institutions like schools cave based on some expected blow back that may never arise. The "PC" culture has made people ASSUME things will cause an uproar, so they react before anything happens.

I'm not really seeing it either. From my experience it seems people are just looking for a reason to get offended for no reason. I still don't understand the starbucks cup fiasco and I consider myself a relatively intelligent person. If you go looking for the trouble, you're bound to find it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
I went to school with a Jehovah's Witness and we had "holiday parties" instead of "Christmas parties" and none of the kids actually cared.

I went to school with a Jehovah's Witness and we had Christmas parties, Valentine's Day parties, Halloween parties and he go to go home early on the day of the party. He didn't care, his family never made a big fuss about it and the rest of us got to enjoy ourselves. Now the kids don't get any classroom parties at all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
Do grown adults actually get upset if it's not called a "Christmas" party?

Google "the war on Christmas". Yes people get upset when things are renamed to be "holiday" parties, parades, plays, etc... instead of "Christmas".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)

This.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
Google "the war on Christmas". Yes people get upset when things are renamed to be "holiday" parties, parades, plays, etc... instead of "Christmas".

The "grown adults" line was supposed to be the giveaway.

I can't believe what Christmas has come to today

All these atheists and judges trying to take it away

No carols in our public schools, no trees in City Hall

And they wish you Season's Greetings at the shopping mall

Ain't you sick of it all?

Well, there's a war on Christmas, it's under attack

But this year America's taking it back

Separate church and state, that's what some lawyer said

I say it's time we separated him from his head

You can call me unchristian but that's not true

'Cause have I got a present for you

It's the though that counts

Christmas is as American as apple pie

It's a late December version of the Fourth of July

And they may go by a different name

But Uncle Sam and Santa Claus are one and the same

So boys take aim

Well, there's a war on Christmas, it's under attack

But this year America's taking it back

Separate church and state, that's what some liberal said

I say it's time we separated him from his head

You can call me unchristian but that's not true

Buddy I got a present for you

I hope it's the right size

Oh say can you see this Christmas

Baby Jesus 'tis of thee

I'm placing 50 shining stars atop

The Statue of Liber-Tree

Then I'll go and jingle the Liberty Bell

Post Old Glory with an elf

And if you say I can't deck my halls

Then I'll deck you myself

Well, there's a war on Christmas it's under attack

Hey, this year Old Saint Nicholas is taking it back

He's firing guns from his reindeer, dropping bombs from his sled

This year if you were naughty, you're as good as dead

He wears red and white, and you can throw in blue

And has he got a present for you

And St. Toby has got one too

Yeah, we got a present for you

As in the aclu

Easy Rudolph, down boy

colbertchristmas-02.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

I'm not a big follower of written religion anymore, by personal choice, and I really don't care what you follow or celebrate...if you're giving me free food and drinks, I'll still show up...regardless of the lies religion you choose to believe in. :)