Religion and Gun Attacks

jasonxctf

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I just think people want to be respectful of other religions and cultures. No one is trying to make everyone the same or stop Christmas.

Such an overreaction.

Yeah, I don't think it's "caving" over some expected blowback from the PC POLICE! It's just choosing to not be exclusive.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I love Christmas despite my modern beliefs...because it's pretty...and makes s***ty drab winters look and feel a lot better...and I like being nice to people and buying them things, and it gives me a great excuse to do so.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Google "the war on Christmas". Yes people get upset when things are renamed to be "holiday" parties, parades, plays, etc... instead of "Christmas".

No, I think people understand that adults get upset about this. I think people struggle with WHY they get upset about it. What about me telling someone Happy Holidays drives them to such rage?

Recognizing that there might be kids from other cultural and religious backgrounds in a public school seems pretty harmless to me. In fact, NSS' experience seems pretty ideal to me.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
No, I think people understand that adults get upset about this. I think people struggle with WHY they get upset about it. What about me telling someone Happy Holidays drives them to such rage?

Recognizing that there might be kids from other cultural and religious backgrounds in a public school seems pretty harmless to me. In fact, NSS' experience seems pretty ideal to me.

Because they have this mistaken belief that they are no longer allowed to say Merry Christmas. I'm questioning where that's coming from and why it would be any more harmful than any other greeting.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
Because they have this mistaken belief that they are no longer allowed to say Merry Christmas. I'm questioning where that's coming from and why it would be any more harmful than any other greeting.

They are the same people who think there is a war on Christianity in this country. Why do they think there is a war on Christianity? Because they can't discriminate against LGBT folks. Because they have to acknowledge that they live and work with people of other cultures and faiths. Because they have to acknowledge that there is a separation of church and state.

Crimson hit the nail on the head. It's a persecution complex.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)

Have your read your HR handbooks? People are told to NOT say Merry Christmas. You are not supposed to do it. It's Happy Holidays. If Donald Trump wins, at least it's a victory over the PC police. Also what about all the comments from people who have said their kids are in Winter Plays not Christmas plays. You will NOT see mangers and the story of the nativity in any public school I've been around the last 10 years. WE CANNOT OFFEND ANYBODY nowadays. That's why it's cool Trump is going after Muslims. Somebody has to acknowledge all these DEATHS. Of course not all are bad. Of course we shouldn't be beating up people because they are different from us. BUT WE MUST PROTECT THE USA. Trump is right about that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
Have your read your HR handbooks? People are told to NOT say Merry Christmas. You are not supposed to do it. It's Happy Holidays. If Donald Trump wins, at least it's a victory over the PC police. Also what about all the comments from people who have said their kids are in Winter Plays not Christmas plays. You will NOT see mangers and the story of the nativity in any public school I've been around the last 10 years. WE CANNOT OFFEND ANYBODY nowadays. That's why it's cool Trump is going after Muslims. Somebody has to acknowledge all these DEATHS. Of course not all are bad. Of course we shouldn't be beating up people because they are different from us. BUT WE MUST PROTECT THE USA. Trump is right about that.

I'm going on the el tomorrow and telling everyone merry XMAS. I guarantee not one person gets offended.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)

so much crap in this post it's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
Give them their safe space and some diapers and maybe some free tuition and they can move along with their sorry ass lives...

How is that even related to the topic?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Why should public schools have nativity scenes? You want to indoctrinate kids, Greg?

To me, Christmas and weddings are pretty similar arguments. Christmas has a religious component (the nativity scene, etc.), and a secular component (basically anything involving Santa and the tree). Just like there is the religious sacrament of matrimony and there's the secular government's recognition of marriage.

If I had a kid in school, I'd have no issue with the secular presentation of Christmas, nor of the secular presentation of Hanukah. But I'd have a pretty hard time with the manger scene and other depictions of the baby Jesus...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
To me, Christmas and weddings are pretty similar arguments. Christmas has a religious component (the nativity scene, etc.), and a secular component (basically anything involving Santa and the tree). Just like there is the religious sacrament of matrimony and there's the secular government's recognition of marriage.

If I had a kid in school, I'd have no issue with the secular presentation of Christmas, nor of the secular presentation of Hanukah. But I'd have a pretty hard time with the manger scene and other depictions of the baby Jesus...

Neither of those are secular.

The first christmas trees were created by devout Christians in Germany, and Santa Clause is a legend created off of St. Nicholas...saints are usually connected to religion quite closely.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Neither of those are secular.

The first christmas trees were created by devout Christians in Germany, and Santa Clause is a legend created off of St. Nicholas...saints are usually connected to religion quite closely.

They may not have secular origins, but at the very least they have been co-opted as secular symbols now.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
They may not have secular origins, but at the very least they have been co-opted as secular symbols now.

I'd allow this argument if this was my court. ;)

The tree was a co-option of pagan winter celebrations and so is the whole gift-giving Santa Claus. Hell, it wasn't until the Victorian era that Christmas really became a big deal at all (thanks, Dickens!), and again it was a co-option of pagan winter solstice festivals.

Regardless of the roots, though, Christmas decorations and Santa Claus are still pretty much straight-up secular these days.