white sox have big advantage in free agent market

Whisox05

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
A good read. Thanks for posting.

I didn't realize how close the Sox came to being in the position to have to give up such a high pick if they were to sign a qualified free agent.

Yeah and with all of the games on the last day of the season starting at the same time, it was pretty intense to get to that point too.

SP Wei-Yin Chen

SP Yovani Gallardo

SP Ian Kennedy

1B Chris Davis

2B Howie Kendrick

SS Ian Desmond

LF Alex Gordon

LF Justin Upton

CF Dexter Fowler

Uh, ya. Because the Sox have that kind of money to throw around. :lol:

Petriello has no clue of what he's talking about and really makes himself out to be a complete moron with this horrible write-up. I see far better ideas by the good Sox fans of this board. Petriello must be talking fantasy baseball or something.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
SP Wei-Yin Chen

SP Yovani Gallardo

SP Ian Kennedy

1B Chris Davis

2B Howie Kendrick

SS Ian Desmond

LF Alex Gordon

LF Justin Upton

CF Dexter Fowler

Uh, ya. Because the Sox have that kind of money to throw around. :lol:

Petriello has no clue of what he's talking about and really makes himself out to be a complete moron with this horrible write-up. I see far better ideas by the good Sox fans of this board. Petriello must be talking fantasy baseball or something.

Did you actually read the article? He suggested those guys above could have their value reduced to some extent due to the comps picked attached, which would benefit the Sox because their first round pick is protected. His article was well written and made a ton of sense. Not sure how anyone could actually read it and call the author a moron.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Did you actually read the article? He suggested those guys above could have their value reduced to some extent due to the comps picked attached, which would benefit the Sox because their first round pick is protected. His article was well written and made a ton of sense. Not sure how anyone could actually read it and call the author a moron.

The SOX payroll including committed contracts/arbitration players/league minimum players is at about 119M. Now add in the cost all those players Petriello suggests and get back to me. The guy knows nothing about the Sox front office or the Sox finances.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
The SOX payroll including committed contracts/arbitration players/league minimum players is at about 119M. Now add in the cost all those players Petriello suggests and get back to me. The guy knows nothing about the Sox front office or the Sox finances.

Dude, he did not suggest adding all those players. Is that honestly what you thought? If so, did you actually read the article, because I have no idea how you would of came to that conclusion.

He threw out the idea of adding Upton & Desmond to address our OF & SS holes. The logic of doing so makes perfect sense in the framework he put together. He wasn't saying this was likely either, but simply a quick way to make this team a playoff contender, which is hard to argue with. You seem obsessed with this idea the Sox can't add payroll, when in reality none of know the Sox's budget for 2016. What I can tell you there is clearly some wiggle room right now or else we wouldn't be actively involved in discussions with the premier OF free agents.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)

Right. There's a huge difference between giving up a pick in the low to mid teens and the 27th pick. Teams with those unprotected first round picks may pass on a qualified free agent, and that's going to reduce the number of teams interested and thereby possibly drop the price.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

Uh...no team would actually add all of those players. Adding one, let's say Upton, adds about $20 million to the payroll. A guy like Desmond would cost less. The author is simply stating that the Sox are in a good position to add ONE of those players...not all of them.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Uh...no team would actually add all of those players. Adding one, let's say Upton, adds about $20 million to the payroll. A guy like Desmond would cost less. The author is simply stating that the Sox are in a good position to add ONE of those players...not all of them.

I have no idea how much Desmond will get, but if he's willing to take a pillow contract, he could be a very interesting signing for the Sox. With a decent rebound in 2016 and a poor free agent class next offseason, he's likely to get a multi-year deal to his liking next year even with a comp pick attached. The Sox would give up a 2nd round pick this year, but would essentially get a late 1st rounder in 2017 (again, assuming a rebound) and buy themselves a much more proven stopgap until Anderson is ready to take over. I find it highly unlikely the Sox can add both an impact OF and Desmond, but definitely something I'd be open to if Hahn could make the financials work out.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
I have no idea how much Desmond will get, but if he's willing to take a pillow contract, he could be a very interesting signing for the Sox. With a decent rebound in 2016 and a poor free agent class next offseason, he's likely to get a multi-year deal to his liking next year even with a comp pick attached. The Sox would give up a 2nd round pick this year, but would essentially get a late 1st rounder in 2017 (again, assuming a rebound) and buy themselves a much more proven stopgap until Anderson is ready to take over. I find it highly unlikely the Sox can add both an impact OF and Desmond, but definitely something I'd be open to if Hahn could make the financials work out.

I would think these "pillow" guys would want something near the amount of the QO offer they turned down. I read that teams value the comp picks at between $5 million and $8 million. Losing a comp pick and signing Desmond to a 1 year contract anywhere near the $15 million + he turned down seems like a bad thing to do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
I would think these "pillow" guys would want something near the amount of the QO offer they turned down. I read that teams value the comp picks at between $5 million and $8 million. Losing a comp pick and signing Desmond to a 1 year contract anywhere near the $15 million + he turned down seems like a bad thing to do.

completely agree, Alexei would be a better option

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)

After further review, I'll take back my idea. His K rate has gotten real ugly the past two years and I'm not overly confident a rebound is in order.