Internal alternatives to Avisail Garcia

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
So you're giving a 24-year-old exactly one month of regular-season ABs in cold weather to improve over a disappointing season? That's insane.

The trade deadline is much more realistic.

Why do people keep pretending Garcia's career started a week ago? He's been very bad for quite a long time. And now so far this year, he looks just as bad.

I don't think you replace him TODAY, but I think as we get into May, if he's still the same old Avi, you make a change.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
If the Sox agreed with this, he wouldn't be in the lineup five days a week. Ishikawa or Davidson would be on the 25-man roster instead.

I agree that Avi needs to take a big step forward this year, and that's what the Sox are giving him the opportunity to do. If he doesn't show them something this year, he'll probably be dealt for an inconsequential player in the offseason. But I have no problem with the Sox giving a 24-year-old more time to prove himself, particularly when their options are limited.

Avi has 1126 PA in his career, his age is irrelevant, he's shown nothing positive so far except for a good outfield arm, which is worthless when the rest of your fielding sucks. Avi thus far has been worse than Viciedo, that's how bad it's been. He doesn't deserve any more time, he should be replaced ASAP, we're wasting AB with him out there right now. He should be below Sands on the depth chart.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Why do people keep pretending Garcia's career started a week ago? He's been very bad for quite a long time. And now so far this year, he looks just as bad.

He looked really good in ST and has been relatively bad for the past two weeks. It's difficult to draw a conclusion from that data set.

I don't think you replace him TODAY, but I think as we get into May, if he's still the same old Avi, you make a change.

Given that productive veterans such as Eaton can slump for multiple months, I'd say that May is still too early. The trade deadline makes a lot more sense to me, particularly because a solid replacement is unlikely to be available until July anyway.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Avi has 1126 PA in his career, his age is irrelevant, he's shown nothing positive so far except for a good outfield arm, which is worthless when the rest of your fielding sucks. Avi thus far has been worse than Viciedo, that's how bad it's been. He doesn't deserve any more time, he should be replaced ASAP, we're wasting AB with him out there right now. He should be below Sands on the depth chart.

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
He looked really good in ST and has been relatively bad for the past two weeks. It's difficult to draw a conclusion from that data set.

Given that productive veterans such as Eaton can slump for multiple months, I'd say that May is still too early. The trade deadline makes a lot more sense to me, particularly because a solid replacement is unlikely to be available until July anyway.

I dont see how Eaton is relevant because A: he isnt slumping, and B: his history, while brief, is still a lot better than Garcia has ever shown.

I want Garcia to succeed, but sometimes it is time to call a spade a spade, and we are getting very close to that time with Avi.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
I dont see how Eaton is relevant because A: he isnt slumping, and B: his history, while brief, is still a lot better than Garcia has ever shown.

I want Garcia to succeed, but sometimes it is time to call a spade a spade, and we are getting very close to that time with Avi.

Recall that Eaton was awful in April and May last season.

I agree that this is probably Avi's make-or-break season in Chicago. But calling for the guy to get DFA'd two weeks into the season is incredibly silly.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)

No one is drawing a conclusion from that data set. They are drawing a conclusion from 1100+ MLB PA's, all those innings of terrible defense and the TOOTBLAN machine on the bases. And that at the moment - stats aside, he LOOKS like the same old Avi, other than a different stance.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

How is that hyperbole? Viciedo hit .254/.298/.424 with a 96 wRC+ in his time here, and was worth -0.7 WAR in 1800 PA.

Garcia has a line of .261/.310/.382 with an 89 wRC+ and has been worth -2.0 WAR in less than 2/3 of the PA. It's pretty much undeniable that he's been worse than Viciedo.

And yes, age is irrelevant when you've shown literally nothing positive in 1000 PA. And he's turning 25 in June, it's not like he just turned 20 or something, he's really not THAT young.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
No one is drawing a conclusion from that data set. They are drawing a conclusion from 1100+ MLB PA's, all those innings of terrible defense and the TOOTBLAN machine on the bases. And that at the moment - stats aside, he LOOKS like the same old Avi, other than a different stance.

So, do we agree that there's nothing that can be done about Avi right now? And that maybe waiting until the trade deadline, when a replacement player might actually be available, is the better option?

That's pretty much where I stand, though I'm apparently a little more optimistic about Avi getting over the .700 OPS hump by then.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
It's maybe not relevant, but it's certainly not hyperbole to say Avi has been worse than what we had with Viciedo. It's the truth.

Offensively, Avi is a little worse. Defensively, Viciedo is way worse. Avi is not good in RF, but Viciedo was an outright liability in LF.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
lets not play devils advocate because this is nonsense

and why not, they have history on their side to show how they never finished what they started. the sox owners always went to the cheapest route to finish the team. there times the sox could have won more than 1Ws if they would have invested.

the same thing now, this season. they could have gotten that extra hitter. but they didn't they instead went with the reclamation or the other prospect who needed a chance.

instead, the sox will need to roll the dice with this weak link to this team. and still all for the savings of money and lining their pockets.

all the b/s the owners spouted about wanting a championship team is all b/s.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
That's what they were telling me last year. Now those same guys have switched their feelings on Garcia. In time, you will too.

and how many yrs is the faithful fans will hear that ....

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
So, do we agree that there's nothing that can be done about Avi right now? And that maybe waiting until the trade deadline, when a replacement player might actually be available, is the better option?

That's pretty much where I stand, though I'm apparently a little more optimistic about Avi getting over the .700 OPS hump by then.

well for me, at least you have faith.

remember all those yrs when the rally call was, - wait til next yr.

well that next yr is now, and i have no faith in the owners.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
and why not, they have history on their side to show how they never finished what they started. the sox owners always went to the cheapest route to finish the team. there times the sox could have won more than 1Ws if they would have invested.

the same thing now, this season. they could have gotten that extra hitter. but they didn't they instead went with the reclamation or the other prospect who needed a chance.

instead, the sox will need to roll the dice with this weak link to this team. and still all for the savings of money and lining their pockets.

My god you are a broken record.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)

dont let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

and yes, you are wrong

wite

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)
dont let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

and yes, you are wrong

wite

ok lets talk about those facts, a dh, who the sox tried to trade, a player who was suppose to be hurt.

a player in avi, who was going to be a sub, if anything to backup a dh, who happens to quit.

time to address the situation when this dh quit and they could have signed any other player, and to boot, they had an additional salary to use. another hitter who could have been the 25th man.

so tell me, why wasn't any thing done????

show me where i am wrong!

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
ok lets talk about those facts, a dh, who the sox tried to trade, a player who was suppose to be hurt.

a player in avi, who was going to be a sub, if anything to backup a dh, who happens to quit.

time to address the situation when this dh quit and they could have signed any other player, and to boot, they had an additional salary to use. another hitter who could have been the 25th man.

so tell me, why wasn't any thing done????

show me where i am wrong!

Who was out there they could have gotten in the middle of March that was actually a good hitter, and not a potential marginal upgrade that would have been worth trading something for? I didn't see anyone out there who didn't have their own gigantic flaws in their game. Who did you see that was available?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
Who was out there they could have gotten in the middle of March that was actually a good hitter, and not a potential marginal upgrade that would have been worth trading something for? I didn't see anyone out there who didn't have their own gigantic flaws in their game. Who did you see that was available?

there were players and even if they were marginal upgrades, they are still an upgrade of what the sox have as dh now