5/2 Games

royoung

How serious of a prospect is Nick Delmonico? I know he had been busted once for PEDs a couple years ago, but he seems to be a dangerous hitter. He is nowhere to be seen on the White Sox Top 30 Prospect list and doesn't get a whole lot of publicity. Thanks in advance for any insight on him.

Brennan was replaced by Nolan Sanburn just before gametime. Not sure why yet.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 2, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
How serious of a prospect is Nick Delmonico? I know he had been busted once for PEDs a couple years ago, but he seems to be a dangerous hitter. He is nowhere to be seen on the White Sox Top 30 Prospect list and doesn't get a whole lot of publicity. Thanks in advance for any insight on him.

He was actually on the very back end of our T30 midseason last year on Future Sox. He was once a highly touted prospect. He had defensive problems that forced him to move around the diamond, he's currently at 1B but still plays some 3B. His hitting was on and off. There were rumors of attitude issues, and what's really interesting is how he came to the Sox. When we interviewed him, we got a story that he hadn't told anyone else yet - basically, it wasn't that the Brewers couldn't find him as they reported. It's that Nick intentionally avoided them because he wanted to leave. So then they released him, and the Sox grabbed him.

Here's our profile on him. Includes a link to that interview I mentioned.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Brennan was replaced by Nolan Sanburn just before gametime. Not sure why yet.

He was actually on the very back end of our T30 midseason last year on Future Sox. He was once a highly touted prospect. He had defensive problems that forced him to move around the diamond, he's currently at 1B but still plays some 3B. His hitting was on and off. There were rumors of attitude issues, and what's really interesting is how he came to the Sox. When we interviewed him, we got a story that he hadn't told anyone else yet - basically, it wasn't that the Brewers couldn't find him as they reported. It's that Nick intentionally avoided them because he wanted to leave. So then they released him, and the Sox grabbed him.

Here's our profile on him. Includes a link to that interview I mentioned.

Wow, that's interesting stuff. The fact that he failed to report to Brewers camp hoping to be released rubs me the wrong way. That's such an immature act. Between that and the positive test for amphetamines, he's not the most likable prospect, but I hope he finds his way with the White Sox.

Thanks again for the info, NorthSideSox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 2, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I could see you taking exception to what he did in camp with Milwaukee but I am not sure, and I am a probably in the minority, you should pin the amphetamines suspension against him without context.

I'm much more forgiving of amphetamines than steroid-type substances. Amphetamines are out of your system in a hurry and the benefits are mostly mental and go away as soon you cease use. While you can't stay massive for too long after you quit steroids, your body is very much changed by it in a way that for most pro athletes wouldn't be possible without the substance. It's also more believable that you could be fooled into having amphetamines in your system without knowing exactly what it was or that it was illegal. For instance, does every ~20 year old kid know that Adderall is a mixture of amphetamines? I suspect not all of them do–not to say there shouldn't be punishment.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 3, 2016 -> 05:13 AM)
time to promote basto

Kind of a 1B logjam in the minors.

Basto needs promotion (although he hasn't been in productive in high A ball for long)....to take Delmonico's spot.

Delmonico really needs a promotion... but that would be to take Hayes' spot, who doesn't need a demotion.

Try Delmonico in the OF.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Kind of a 1B logjam in the minors.

Basto needs promotion (although he hasn't been in productive in high A ball for long)....to take Delmonico's spot.

Delmonico really needs a promotion... but that would be to take Hayes' spot, who doesn't need a demotion.

Try Delmonico in the OF.

Just let em stay, no where to move up to. Let them build their stats and make better trade bait.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Just let em stay, no where to move up to. Let them build their stats and make better trade bait.

No one is trading for Nick Basto. Or Danny Hayes. Or even Delmonico. At best, they could be throw-ins or minor for minor pieces.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)

It would be nice if we could start pulling some of these guys up to the Whitesox and they produce.

The only one I think has the possibility is Delmonico, but he needs AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
No one is trading for Nick Basto. Or Danny Hayes. Or even Delmonico. At best, they could be throw-ins or minor for minor pieces.

Exactly. never said they were going to get us anything.