Projected Top 10 Prospects Post Draft/Pre July 2

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
I'm going to attempt a new top 30:

1. Zach Collins C

2. Carson Fulmer RHP

3. Spencer Adams RHP

4. Zack Burdi RHP

5. Alec Hansen RHP

6. Adam Engel CF

7. Trey Michalczewski 3B

8. Jordan Guerrero LHP

9. Jacob May OF

10. Micker Adolfo OF

11. Tyler Danish RHP

12. Corey Zangari 1B

13. Jordan Stephens RHP

14. Courtney Hawkins OF

15. Brian Clark LHP

16. Nick Delmonico 3B

17. Luis Curbelo SS

18. Jameson Fisher OF

19. Jhoandro Alfaro C

20. Amado Nunez SS

21. Johan Cruz SS

22. Jake Peter 2B/OF

23. Matt Davidson 3B

24. Alex Call OF

25. Franklin Reyes OF

26. Thad Lowry RHP

27. Blake Hickman RHP

28. Ian Hamilton RHP

29. Jace Fry LHP

30. Carlos Perez C

Zavela should be somewhere on that list, otherwise the names look right to me. Nunez & Call should probably be higher, I'd say in the back end of the top 15.

Some had Curbelo in their top 10's or even 6-7 after the draft (ahead of the Mays and Trey M.'s of the world).

Why such a disparity in how he's perceived?

6-15 to me is totally interchangeable. Engel at 6 just feels way too high. I can't imagine even the Reds accepting him as the centerpiece of a potential Jay Bruce deal, or the Rockies for Cargo.

Maybe for Beltran...but the Yankees are going to wait until the last possible moment with that bullpen. They're not in the rebuilding business, typically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
Some had Curbelo in their top 10's or even 6-7 after the draft (ahead of the Mays and Trey M.'s of the world).

Why such a disparity in how he's perceived?

6-15 to me is totally interchangeable. Engel at 6 just feels way too high. I can't imagine even the Reds accepting him as the centerpiece of a potential Jay Bruce deal, or the Rockies for Cargo.

Maybe for Beltran...but the Yankees are going to wait until the last possible moment with that bullpen. They're not in the rebuilding business, typically.

Curbelo is an overslot high school player and was ranked around #100 on most big boards I saw. I'm sure the Sox had a deal with him pre-draft, its basically like we got a 3rd-4th rounder in the sixth. Lots of room for projection and growth on a toolsy high schooler, so hope springs eternal as they say.

For perspective on Engel, he was #22 on the FutureSox mid-season rankings this time last year and vaulted up the rankings due to a strong 2nd half/Arizona Fall League. I think he earn a fringe top 10 ranking on our 2016 list.

As far as Engel goes, it would be nice to see him put up an OPS challenging 800 in AAA.

At the major league level, right now....he's more similar to Jackson stats-wise, but more reminiscent of Eaton in terms of physical tools.

In most organizations, that would be a 4th outfielder. As long as he can have a respectable OBP, though (let's say 315-325), he could make it as a regular. More confident in him than May, tbh.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
As far as Engel goes, it would be nice to see him put up an OPS challenging 800 in AAA.

At the major league level, right now....he's more similar to Jackson stats-wise, but more reminiscent of Eaton in terms of physical tools.

In most organizations, that would be a 4th outfielder. As long as he can have a respectable OBP, though (let's say 315-325), he could make it as a regular. More confident in him than May, tbh.

Engel can handle CF defensively though so it vaults him a bit higher than most guys. He doesn't "have to" hit much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)

You mean Mike Trout.

For those that might not get it, FanGraphs once said he was a Trout level athlete. Which he very well could be.