Do you believe the Sox will make the playoffs in 2016?

caulfield12

Do you still have faith in Ventura/Hahn/KW/JR?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still believe the White Sox will make the playoffs in 2016?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
Oh I agree. But we cannot stand pat this season considering this is year 2 of 3. Last year sucked but I understood it. Trading Anderson for someone would've been awful. Reddick has been the guy I wanted. Wonder about a Reddick and Rzcepczynski package.

That's where you have to decide if you want to risk trading Fulmer...as it's highly unlikely Reddick wouldn't go for the big FA riches in the offseason, so odds on him agreeing to an extension would be pretty minimal.

Guys like Engel, Trey, Jacob May or Jordan Stephens aren't going to be enough to pry Reddick away. And neither will Adams with his reduced velocity. Beane will want a player who can contribute next year at some point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
That's where you have to decide if you want to risk trading Fulmer...as it's highly unlikely Reddick wouldn't go for the big FA riches in the offseason, so odds on him agreeing to an extension would be pretty minimal.

Guys like Engel, Trey, Jacob May or Jordan Stephens aren't going to be enough to pry Reddick away. And neither will Adams with his reduced velocity. Beane will want a player who can contribute next year at some point.

Beane gets a comp pick if he holds onto him, so I don't think a package built around Adams is a bad alternative. All depends on how many bats are available on the market.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Beane gets a comp pick if he holds onto him, so I don't think a package built around Adams is a bad alternative. All depends on how many bats are available on the market.

There'll be enough to choose fro, but the sox are gona have to part with at least Adams maybe Fumler depending on the bat. If I have to give up Fulmer, I'd rather do it for a guy like Myers because you control him through 2019.

Edited by SouthSideSale

I'm not sure that we really have any position prospects the Brewers would want...if you were Milwaukee's GM, what position prospect other than Zack Collins looks like a sure-fire big league starter?

If you're willing to trade Fulmer + Adams...but Hahn probably doesn't want to risk destroying his pitching depth that he just attempted to replenish with the recently-completed draft.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
What would it take to Lucroy? Fulmer + ???

He has another year left on his deal he will probably be the most sought after guy on the trade market after Cargo. Any package to get him would have to include Fulmer, Saladino, and more don't think it would be enough.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
He has another year left on his deal he will probably be the most sought after guy on the trade market after Cargo. Any package to get him would have to include Fulmer, Saladino, and more don't think it would be enough.

Why would they want Saladino when they got Segura for virtually nothing?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
Trading for a controllable bat is ideal. Wonder what SD would want for Myers?

I'm for Beltran he's a vet with a lot of playoff experience and is a rental that won't require giving up Fulmer. He'd arguably have a bigger impact than anyone else besides Cargo since he won't have to spend months figuring out AL pitching. He has a career .332 postseason BA in 223 PA's.

Edited by soxforlife05

It's just a matter of which teams are willing to give up the best prospect/s for Beltran....as the Yankees never have needed to make a pure salary relief play.

They could choose to go in the same direction with Gardner, McCann, ARod, Tex, Headley, Ellsbury, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
Avi needs to be gone, a 650 OPS at DH is embarrassing, it would be pretty bad for a middle infielder even.

Second point, that LaRoche money is free and HAS to be spent, at least for the remainder of this season. If they find the right fit for a player whose deal goes through 2017, great, because the offseason FA market is crap and will force more overpays.

Finally, you're probably right about the Sox not wanting to give up top talent for a veteran RH reliever.

They'll monitor Burdi, Danish, Jordan Stephens, Alec Hansen (that's a very low probability event) and Fulmer and hopefully one or two of those guys really click in the next month or so. Maybe, just maybe, Ynoa takes the next step but that's asking for a lot.

Albers is almost at the end of his rope. His last 20 or so appearances have been terrible, and Ventura pulled him after just one batter today. His patience is now at zero to turn things around for Matty.

Morneau is about a week away from taking Avi's job.

I think we're all being a bit overly optimistic about Morneau.

There's a reason he signed for only $1 million. Let's not forget what happened to Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales in 2014 when they were both forced to wait until June to sign because of QO's being attached.

Maybe he can fight both Father Time and the concussion syndrome simultaneously, but it's far from a sure thing.

That said, while at least the financial risk is quite low, but they STILL need another bat to be honest.