O's and Sox "getaway day" game thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
Who would have ever thought the Sox could win 3 of 4 from Baltimore in June? And only be seven under .500. I'll never be convinced we needed a rebuild in this age of parity. The Sox are trotting out there some of the worst starting pitchers imaginable and are only 7 under .500. They could easily have upgraded 2-3 positions in the offseason via free agency. We could have still had Sale and Eaton with this team that is featuring a rejuvenated Avi, a rejuvenated bullpen (for the most part; yes it's reeked at times) and a live bat in Davidson. Abreu is still good and Melky is having his best year as a White Sox. Catching also is acceptable with this current guy hitting about .250 and having a decent arm.

You all can say what you want, but there's no reason to completely rebuild when you have as many veterans as the Sox. This division blows and it wouldn't have taken much of an effort to win it.

That's my take. I'm sure El Rockin agrees at least. Or El Rockin likes the rebuild and likes this team as well, lol. I say it lovingly El Rockin. You like whatever the Sox do at all times. Go El Rockin!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. First off Baltimore is a .500 mediocre team with major pitching issues right now...we aren't talking about taking say three of four from Houston or Colorado or Los Angeles are we?

Regarding your other points all I can offer in response is what history shows concerning the "stars and s***" approach to building a team...seven losing seasons out of the last 10, zero playoff appearances since 2008, haven't even had consecutive winning seasons since 2003-2006.

The fact is this organization wasn't going to spend the amount of money needed to sign the 'two or three' players needed and frankly there were very few game changers available.

It wasn't going to work...not with all the holes this team had / has on the roster right now.

Let's simply accept the reality of things, embrace the rebuild, hope for better days in the future and stop wasting time and energy lamenting over 'what if.'

Just my opinion.

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:08 AM)
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. First off Baltimore is a .500 mediocre team with major pitching issues right now...we aren't talking about taking say three of four from Houston or Colorado or Los Angeles are we?

Regarding your other points all I can offer in response is what history shows concerning the "stars and s***" approach to building a team...seven losing seasons out of the last 10, zero playoff appearances since 2008, haven't even had consecutive winning seasons since 2003-2006.

The fact is this organization wasn't going to spend the amount of money needed to sign the 'two or three' players needed and frankly there were very few game changers available.

It wasn't going to work...not with all the holes this team had / has on the roster right now.

Let's simply accept the reality of things, embrace the rebuild, hope for better days in the future and stop wasting time and energy lamenting over 'what if.'

Just my opinion.

paragraph 1.) Yes, but Baltimore was expected to win this year just as we were expected to suck as the supposed (slow) rebuild begins. My point is with conventional changes and the improvement of said players and presence of Sale/Eaton hmmmm it gets you to thinking division title. We never gave it a shot with a decent manager (even though Rick is a bunting fool).

2.) Horrific manager deserves lot of the blame in my world. Remember he wasn't close to competent as a skipper. Great player; his teams reeked in all facets.

3.) I dunno. I don't see that many holes in my world had they tinkered.

4.) What if is my way of questioning a questionable front office. Burger? OK he might be great but on paper he's a Missouri State baseball player who also could be Josh Fields. I want proven players thru free agency baby.