Santana will start TUE

southsider2k5

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because in this day and age it is a determining factor in a pitcher's performance. 

No it is not. Plenty of pitchers who don't throw 94+ that are good pitchers. If you have enough control, movement, and different set of pitches you can do just fine.

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

No it is not. Plenty of pitchers who don't throw 94+ that are good pitchers. If you have enough control, movement, and different set of pitches you can do just fine.

There are certain pitchers who can pitch with lower velocities and those who can't 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are certain pitchers who can pitch with lower velocities and those who can't 

True.  But if a pitcher throws in the mid-90s but straight as an arrow, they'll get pounded.  A mix of speed, good off-speed, and movement is needed.  However, if a pitcher lacks speed but has good movement and location, they can be successful.

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

This comment aged about as well as Santana and his velocity.  He was at 90-91 today but I’m sure it didn’t factor in.  🤣

I didn't say anywhere that Santana was going to be good but you don't need to throw 95 to be good.

Joey Lucchesi throws 91-92 and hasn't let up a run in 10+ innings this year. But I guess you can't be successful if you don't throw hard enough.

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I didn't say anywhere that Santana was going to be good but you don't need to throw 95 to be good.

Joey Lucchesi throws 91-92 and hasn't let up a run in 10+ innings this year. But I guess you can't be successful if you don't throw hard enough.

Do you remember what type of pitcher Santana was and what his velocity was at when he was pitching well in prior years?

The guy isn’t Greg Maddux.

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am not talking about Santana specifically, I am talking about pitchers in general. I don't give a shit about Santana, I am just tired of people complaining about velocity all the time

I agree with your premise.  Guys can be successful with a 90-91 mph fastball, a variety of pitches, and really good control.  However, you posted your complaint in a thread about Santana the same day gets shelled throwing 90-91 mph after not showing his usual velocity in Spring Training.  In this situation, the velocity concerns were warranted and are likely part of the reason he was terrible today.

Edited by Harper2Sox