Marcus Stroman as a trade & extend target (don't laugh)

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow.

Lol, there is a large difference between controlling a player for 6 seasons, and controlling a player for 1.5 seasons of non-competing baseball.  Stroman is a fine SP, but he's not worth giving up 3 top 10-15 types prospects for, as you proposed, IMO.    

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, there is a large difference between controlling a player for 6 seasons, and controlling a player for 1.5 seasons of non-competing baseball.  Stroman is a fine SP, but he's not worth giving up 3 top 10-15 types prospects for, as you proposed, IMO.    

I agree (since I would not do the deal), but Stroman at the deadline will likely be attractive to more team than the white sox, so we don't get to create his market. I don't think bundling together some crap prospects will do it despite his injury history. If he had .5 years remaining it might, though this assumes he keeps pitching well.

That said, I would not be opposed to getting an upgraded pitcher with 1.5 years control, and offering an extension that bought out their final year and provided 2-3 years additional control. As OP said, the FA markets are going to be garbage. So either we are going to be spending $140 millions for a pop up guy like patrick corbin each year or we try to split the cost in prospects and money for a guy before he hits the market.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think the Sox do or should treat 2020 as non-competing baseball. 3 top ten guys is probably too much, but the goal should be to provide enough support for more breakouts to carry a team to contention in 2020. You have to start taking chances at some point, and imo, that starts after this season(or during)

Edited by mqr

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree (since I would not do the deal), but Stroman at the deadline will likely be attractive to more team than the white sox, so we don't get to create his market. I don't think bundling together some crap prospects will do it despite his injury history. If he had .5 years remaining it might, though this assumes he keeps pitching well.

That said, I would not be opposed to getting an upgraded pitcher with 1.5 years control, and offering an extension that bought out their final year and provided 2-3 years additional control. As OP said, the FA markets are going to be garbage. So either we are going to be spending $140 millions for a pop up guy like patrick corbin each year or we try to split the cost in prospects and money for a guy before he hits the market.

Totally agree with the bolded.