Uribe

Jim Fainter

Great article in today's (Sunday) Denver Post on Uribe/Miles, written by Mike Klis.  I don't have the link.  Talked about Uribe's great defensive skills  and his tendency for mental mistakes.  And they like Aaron Miles.  Maybe one of you computer guys can find the link.

What would it look like if they said they didn't like the guy they just traded for? I think both teams didn't get as much as they though, but I'd rather have Uribe than Miles.

Ok here's the article Jim Fainter was talkin bout from the Denver Post and an article bout Clayton. Enjoy.

Clayton Article

Before saying goodbye to Juan Uribe, his trade to the Chicago White Sox last week deserves closer inspection.

Initially, the deal seemed to make little sense for the Rockies. Uribe is 24 with two full seasons of big-league playing time and has top-shelf defensive talent. The player the Rockies got in return, second baseman Aaron Miles, will turn 27 next week and has four hits on his big-league résumé. The deal wasn't front-page news here and it was barely noticed by a baseball nation that has been captivated by the Yankees-Red Sox transaction tilt. Inside the baseball industry, however, the Uribe deal raised eyebrows.

By the Rockies' scouting reports, Miles is a tough out and a smart player, but Uribe's cushion-soft, blink-quick hands rival Florida's Alex Gonzalez and free-agent Pokey Reese for the best in baseball. Uribe's powerful throws unloaded from a flick of a wrist were something to behold. At the plate, Uribe was an easy out when pitchers bothered to pay attention, but his free-swinging ways could produce occasional power. When a team is in a payroll crunch and preaching the importance of developing home-grown talent, it usually doesn't deal away a player such as Uribe without getting a more dynamic young player in return.

"I was surprised," one NL general manager said. "I think Uribe's a good player. There must be something there with him that I don't know about."

There was something there. Uribe's bosses became increasingly exasperated by his inability to improve. Although the Rockies would have lived with Uribe's tendency to chase pitches out of the strike zone, it was his defensive miscues, despite incredulous skills, that too often caused manager Clint Hurdle to yank on his shortly cropped hair.

It was the little stuff, but the type of little stuff that can make a difference between winning and losing. Runners on first and third, one out, slow roller in the hole. Uribe might have thrown home or to second in that situation, when the play was at first. He too often missed his relay spots, threw to the wrong base, covered the wrong base on a bunt play.

There was also Uribe's habit of trying to squeeze flair from the mundane. The wrist flick that sometimes brought gasps of wonder could at other times bring tailing sinkers in the dirt. And so the Rockies traded a young guy with impressive talent for an older guy with limited ability but who understands those limitations.

"Juan has special tools," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "But eventually at the big-league level, you have to apply those skills. With Miles, the one thing that was on everybody's reports was that he was a winning player. He's the kind of player that makes the team play better around him. And we have to start getting more of those kind of players."

Uribe Article

Ok here's the article Jim Fainter was talkin bout from the Denver Post and an article bout Clayton. Enjoy.

Clayton Article

Before saying goodbye to Juan Uribe, his trade to the Chicago White Sox last week deserves closer inspection.

Initially, the deal seemed to make little sense for the Rockies. Uribe is 24 with two full seasons of big-league playing time and has top-shelf defensive talent. The player the Rockies got in return, second baseman Aaron Miles, will turn 27 next week and has four hits on his big-league résumé. The deal wasn't front-page news here and it was barely noticed by a baseball nation that has been captivated by the Yankees-Red Sox transaction tilt. Inside the baseball industry, however, the Uribe deal raised eyebrows.

By the Rockies' scouting reports, Miles is a tough out and a smart player, but Uribe's cushion-soft, blink-quick hands rival Florida's Alex Gonzalez and free-agent Pokey Reese for the best in baseball. Uribe's powerful throws unloaded from a flick of a wrist were something to behold. At the plate, Uribe was an easy out when pitchers bothered to pay attention, but his free-swinging ways could produce occasional power. When a team is in a payroll crunch and preaching the importance of developing home-grown talent, it usually doesn't deal away a player such as Uribe without getting a more dynamic young player in return.

"I was surprised," one NL general manager said. "I think Uribe's a good player. There must be something there with him that I don't know about."

There was something there. Uribe's bosses became increasingly exasperated by his inability to improve. Although the Rockies would have lived with Uribe's tendency to chase pitches out of the strike zone, it was his defensive miscues, despite incredulous skills, that too often caused manager Clint Hurdle to yank on his shortly cropped hair.

It was the little stuff, but the type of little stuff that can make a difference between winning and losing. Runners on first and third, one out, slow roller in the hole. Uribe might have thrown home or to second in that situation, when the play was at first. He too often missed his relay spots, threw to the wrong base, covered the wrong base on a bunt play.

There was also Uribe's habit of trying to squeeze flair from the mundane. The wrist flick that sometimes brought gasps of wonder could at other times bring tailing sinkers in the dirt. And so the Rockies traded a young guy with impressive talent for an older guy with limited ability but who understands those limitations.

"Juan has special tools," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "But eventually at the big-league level, you have to apply those skills. With Miles, the one thing that was on everybody's reports was that he was a winning player. He's the kind of player that makes the team play better around him. And we have to start getting more of those kind of players."

Uribe Article

:rolleyes: So Juan Uribe= D'Angelo Jimenez.... great