Gammons on Sox trade talks

Guest JimH

um... Catalanotto is a lefty and not a power hitter, he's a slap hitter, he'd be exactly the type of hitter the sox would need, but finding a spot for him would be the problem.

What I was trying to say was we need to trade our righty power hitters for pitching, I didn't mean Cattalanoto was a powerful right hander. I didn't word it right.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Rupe and Webster in the Everett deal or Alomar deal? If he was in the Alomar deal, it didn't help us much. It could go both ways for the Everett deal as well although I would have taken Everett cause we were in a pennent race. And Wing (I said it before and I'll say it again) was really overrated when he was here. He is getting rocked at AAA as we speak and we passed on Blanton for this guy. Not good.

Frank Francisco was also part of the deal and the Rangers just called him up. Rogers was reporting that he was hitting 99 on the gun and the Rangers are really high on him. Personally I think he'll be around 94-95 which is what he always was with the Sox.

I think Rupe is hurt right now or something along those lines if I recall.

For the record, Gammons did not say KW wasgoing after Benson, nor even that there were any talks between the Sox and Bucs about him.  He simply said Benson was "out there".  So, if the Sox don't get Benson this is not "more bulls*** reporting from Gammons".

I think Benson is ok as a number 5.  I know Brando wants us to get a number 1 and push everyone else back a spot, but if we are looking for someone to step in the Wright/Diaz slot, then Benson should be more than adequate.  It all depends on KW's plan of attack, or what he would consider the most bang for the buck out of the options available to him. Any starting pitcher that can at least be effective in the number 5 slot would be an improvement for this team.

As for the Konerko part of his comments, KW definitely needs to do something in that regard.  In fact, that should have been done after the 2000 season when Seattle just shut down our offense in the playoffs.

I also would like to see Benson inserted into the fifth spot. I think he would come very cheaply, and he'd have a lot of upside IMO. He won't have a lot of pressure on him like there is in Pitt to be a number two guy, he'd just be able to relax and pitch. His ERA isn't the greatest, but neither is Loaiza's this year. I think he could come here and do very well.

He won't have a lot of pressure on him like there is in Pitt to be a number two guy, he'd just be able to relax and pitch.

Thats where your wrong my freind.. He's overpaid just like Valentin, Konerko, and Lee and we all know how rowdy this board gets when they suck.

Guys, remember it's Peter Gammons we're talking about ...

But I too was pleased that someone more on the "inside" than any of us is stating KW is burning up the phone lines.

He (KW) sees the needs just like we do.  In all likelihood, he's even less patient than some of us.

The reality is, it's not that easy to make a trade, there are so many variables involved, and not just $$$.

Apparently, the Sox braintrust is trying to get something done.

I'm ready - the team needs a spark.

Jimbo, if we trade now, we will be parting with what we would consider a top prospect. I for one like Borchard is gone.