2 Catchers only?

cwsox

Josh Paul is a beastly irishman... and due to it being st. patricks day... i wanna give him the starting job... hes faster than olivo and alomar, and i think he hits better too..... plus hes got beastly side burns

It will be Paul and Alomar to start the season unless Olivo gets his swing figured out. He's looking lost at the plate, but he's showing that laser in the field. A couple months won't hurt him and I believe Alomar and Paul can hold up till then. Alomar is in real good shape and I'm not going to say he's going to go injury free, but it looks more and more like he's only going to catch for Buehrle and Colon and maybe one of the other guys, thats pretty much it. They are going to really limit his action.

It will be Paul and Alomar to start the season unless Olivo gets his swing figured out.  He's looking lost at the plate, but he's showing that laser in the field.  A couple months won't hurt him and I believe Alomar and Paul can hold up till then.  Alomar is in real good shape and I'm not going to say he's going to go injury free, but it looks more and more like he's only going to catch for Buehrle and Colon and maybe one of the other guys, thats pretty much it.  They are going to really limit his action.

I read that due to off-days, Buehrle and Colon are only scheduled to pitch on back-to-back days 1 time in the first 2 months of the season (it might have been 0 times, now that I think about it, but I can't say that for certain). So, basically what that means is Alomar will catch Buehrle say, on a Sunday, and then the Sox are off Monday, and he'll catch Colon on Tuesday. Of course, with it being early in the season, there will likely be a rainout that will f*** it up, but if not, we can have a healthy Sandy for the first couple of months of the season at least. That is going to be great for the Sox, as we're seeing what Sandy is capable of when healthy (he's hitting like .600 this Spring in limited action).

Paul? What the heck? Burke should get the backup job, hes earned it. Paul hasnt done anything to deserve that spot in his entire life...

The thing is, we know we have Burke, we don't know whether they have Paul, since someone like the Padres would claim him in a heart-beat. The Sox don't really know what Burke will do at the major league level and for those that rip Paul defensively, you definately won't like Burke.

The key is, use Paul early, see what he can do. He's always been solid back their as a backup, and you know if needed he can hold up over time if Olivo and Alomar really suck. I'm not saying Paul is great, as I'm waiting for Olivo and hoping Alomar stays healthy, but you can't cut Paul hoping Burke keeps it up at the major league level.

Plus, Burke has to adjust to the staff, while Paul is rather familiar with it. And if Alomar goes down and Olivo just isn't ready, do you really want Burke as your full time catcher, knowing you don't have any alternative if he fails. If you keep Paul then you know if he fails and Alomar is hurt and Olivo fails, you still have Burke, meaning more options.

Just my 2 cents.

if olivo is still hitting my 13 year old son's weight by the end of ST...its gotta be josh for the back up spot

Someone called this last November or December but nobody agreed with him. He started to believe the hype. I wonder who that could be :huh:

or better said the things we mention about miguel not able to hit without the cork. :lol:

where is that sassy girl when she needs to eat her words. hmmmm i wonder what is her name

oh yeah hsc. :headbang

Josh Paul is a beastly irishman... and due to it being st. patricks day... i wanna give him the starting job... hes faster than olivo and alomar, and i think he hits better too..... plus hes got beastly side burns

Josh Paul is NOT faster than Miguel Olivo....he's faster than Alomar, yes, but then again, who isn't? Olivo stole like 25 bases in AA ball last year and hit like 10-15 triples. Slow people normally don't steal 25 bases and hit 10-15 triples.

And baggs....how much DOES your son weigh? :D

Josh Paul is NOT faster than Miguel Olivo....he's faster than Alomar, yes, but then again, who isn't? Olivo stole like 25 bases in AA ball last year and hit like 10-15 triples. Slow people normally don't steal 25 bases and hit 10-15 triples.

Yeah, I was going to say, that doesn't sound right. Paul doesn't come close to Olivo in speed. Paul just isn't going to cut it this year. Olivo and Alomar will be playing almost the whole year. Poor Paul; enjoy the playing time on St. Patrcik's Day while you can.

Guest hotsoxchick1
if olivo is still hitting my 13 year old son's weight by the end of ST...its gotta be josh for the back up spot

Someone called this last November or December but nobody agreed with him. He started to believe the hype. I wonder who that could be :huh:

or better said the things we mention about miguel not able to hit without the cork. :lol:

where is that sassy girl when she needs to eat her words. hmmmm i wonder what is her name

you just leave my boy miguel alone.. he will be just fine, he out does anything paul can dream of doing .......... ;)

Yes, Great to see ya back on LDF. I got a feeling either you got a new internet connection or when they made the updates on the server it fixed things for ya.

Welcome back buddy :headbang

Yeah, I was going to say, that doesn't sound right. Paul doesn't come close to Olivo in speed. Paul just isn't going to cut it this year. Olivo and Alomar will be playing almost the whole year. Poor Paul; enjoy the playing time on St. Patrcik's Day while you can.

not enough to keep olivo on the team ..lol..about 135

a race between miguel and josh would be fun to watch..both guys run real well for catchers....i bet it would be a close race

Josh Paul f***ing sucks. I don't understand the organization's fascination with him. He's not a good hitter, is a moron on the bases (which negates all that speed), and he's absolutely HORRID behind the plate. There's no upside to keeping Josh around except for the fact that if we put him on waivers and someone else claims him, we're even thinner at catcher.

Damn you, Williams. WHY THE f*** WOULD YOU TRADE MARK JOHNSON!?!?

Guest hotsoxchick1

Damn you, Williams.  WHY THE f*** WOULD YOU TRADE MARK JOHNSON!?!?

thats the first thing that through my mind when i heard about that trade..

youre telling me bean wouldnt have done foulke / paul / valentin for just billy koch???

well you know how i felt about that one... overpaid once again..............

youre telling me bean wouldnt have done foulke / paul / valentin for just billy koch???

You would have traded away Jose?

Well so would I but never thought I'd read you posting that! :lol:

Because MJ was contributing nothing. His bat just went south and his defensive play was following.

And I agree with this assesment.

Mark johnson was a much better defensive catcher then JP will ever be. He never would hit more then .240 though... however he got on base fairly well. The one thing i really liked about MJ though was his the way he handled the pitchers...

Plus MJ still has a freaking option left.

You would have traded away Jose?

Well so would I but never thought I'd read you posting that! :lol:

lol..i meant valentinE..good catch