*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois is doing a 'midday madness' thing because it's the 100th year celebration of Illini basketball. While i prefer midnight madness, the theory is they will be able to have more people come out to midday madness, especially the older folks and some alumni and such. Kinda blows, though, because i have a hockey game in bloomington after the football game so i won't be able to make it.

For whatever reason i wasn't on soxtalk at all last winter, shame i missed out on the college bball thread...but look forward to posting frequently in it this year.

If anyone is ever down at U of I for a game and wants to get into the Krush let me know and i can probly sneak you in.

If anyone is ever down at U of I for a game and wants to get into the Krush let me know and i can probly sneak you in.

Student ticket sales stopped here last Friday. We had to get our groups and all that stuff arranged. We won't get them until about a week or 2 before the season starts. I see we're at UI on 2/6/05, I might have to take you up on that. We'll see where things are at that point.

Does it cost anything to get into your Midnight Madness? We have to donate 1 canned good to get into ours.

Greasy, i'm going to try to grab a bunch of single game tickets for others, namely the Wake game, IU game, some other Big Ten games...then hope to get rid of them later. I'll try to swing as many IU tix as possible if i can get any, i know a ton of people at IU. You could always stay with me, i could probly get some of you into the Krush...but in all honesty, you would have to wear orange. You'd get booted pretty easily if you had IU stuff on and i snuck you down there to begin with. So it's up to you.

It's a shame we don't make it to IU this year, i've made the trip the past 2 years.

It hasn't costed us anything in the past to get into midnight madness. I like the can donation thing though.

Greasy, i'm going to try to grab a bunch of single game tickets for others, namely the Wake game, IU game, some other Big Ten games...then hope to get rid of them later.  I'll try to swing as many IU tix as possible if i can get any, i know a ton of people at IU. You could always stay with me, i could probly get some of you into the Krush...but in all honesty, you would have to wear orange. You'd get booted pretty easily if you had IU stuff on and i snuck you down there to begin with. So it's up to you.

It's a shame we don't make it to IU this year, i've made the trip the past 2 years.

It hasn't costed us anything in the past to get into midnight madness. I like the can donation thing though.

What does the krush do??? Besides cheer

Over the past 6 years, the Orange Krush has raised and donated over $600,000.

Founded in 1998, Orange Krush Foundation (formerly Team Krush Foundation) is a University of Illinois student run Foundation intent on improving the quality of life for the Champaign-Urbana and campus communities by providing financial support and contributing community service to area not-for-profit organizations.

All students interested in membership in the Orange Krush participate in the Orange Krush 3-point shot program, which raises money for local charities. These students solicit pledges from people in their community for every 3-pointer the Illini make in the upcoming Fighting Illini men's basketball season.

Proceeds raised by the Orange Krush Foundation 3-point program are allocated according to the following formula: 50% Rod Cardinal Sports Medicine Fund, 50% Local Charities.

The Rod Cardinal Sports Medicine Fund pays tribute to Rod Cardinal, who was the University of Illinois men's basketball athletic trainer for 30 years. This endowment benefits all student trainers at the University of Illinois, which in turn benefits all varsity athletic teams.

The Rod Cardinal Sports Medicine Fund is the second endowment formed by the Orange Krush Foundation. The first is the Matthew Heldman Scholarship fund, which honors Matthew Heldman, a point guard for the 1997-1998 Big Ten Championship Team, who was tragically killed in a car accident in 1999. The fund, in his name, endows a scholarship for a future Illini basketball player. After 5 years, the Orange Krush fulfilled the $250,000 commitment and the fund is fully endowed.

The Orange Krush 3-point program has been an overwhelming success in its first six years of existence, donating over $600,000 to charity. During the 2003-04 season, the Orange Krush raised over $250,000!

Is that good enough for you....

How does one get in, I want my sister to join.

Unfortunately it's too late to join, but here's how you'd do it:

The 2004-05 Fighting Illini Men's Basketball season is right around the corner, and it's time for the Orange Krush to aid the Illini to another Big Ten Championship! Join the Orange Krush and you'll have the opportunity to experience the speed of Dee Brown, the elevation of Luther Head, plus the flair of Deron Williams, all from the best seat in the house: courtside! As if standing five feet from the court wasn't enough, the excitement of being a Krush member extends beyond the Assembly Hall with recruiting events to attract future Illini, pre-game tailgates, away game watch parties and a roadtrip to a hostile Big Ten arena...

During the 2003-04 season, the Orange Krush attracted a frenzy of media attention by taking road trips to Iowa and Purdue. Following the Iowa game at Iowa City newspaper even read, "At times tonight I didn't know if I was sitting at Carver Hawkeye Arena or Assembly Hall." As the Orange Krush, we protect our house and invade theirs!

HOW TO JOIN THE NATION'S PREMIER BASKETBALL STUDENT SECTION:

ANY University of Illinois student can join the Orange Krush. All you have to do to join is raise money for charity!

Not only is the Orange Krush considered the most intimidating student section in the country, but it is a charity foundation as well. All students interested in membership in the Orange Krush must participate in the Orange Krush 3-point shot program, which raises money for local charities. Over the past 6 years, the Orange Krush has raised and donated over $600,000.

Orange Krush members raise money by soliciting pledges from the community. Members must find people that will make a pledge for every 3-pointer the Illini make in the upcoming 2004-05 season.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS: Your neighbor Bob agrees to pledge 10 cents for every 3-point shot the Illini will make during the 2004-05 season. Record Bob's information on the pledge sheet along with the rest of your donors, and turn the information in on the deadline.

After the season, the Orange Krush Foundation will take care of sending Bob and the rest of your donors a bill depending on how many 3-pointers the Illini make during the 2004-05 season. Last season, the Illini made 231 three-pointers, so if the Illini make 231 again this season, Bob's bill will be $23.10.

- It does not matter how many donors you have. In the example above, you would only need to find 9 more donors to pledge a dime in order to become a Scout member (Varsity for freshman/transfer students).

- Donors can make a flat donation instead of a pledge. Every $25 in cash you receive is considered a $0.10 pledge. So if you received a $50 cash donation, that would be considered a $0.20 pledge. We ask that all cash donations less than $25 are collected in advance and turned in on the deadlines listed below. You can reach your desired pledge level in any combination of pledges or flat donations.

Pledge information must be turned in on the following dates:

All-American

Varsity (Sophomores and older)

Varsity (Freshmen/Transfer)

ScoutSeptember 27

September 28

September 29

September 30

Pledge Levels:

ALL-AMERICAN TEAM MEMBER

$3 DONOR (per 3-pt shot)

FREE ORANGE KRUSH Basketball Season Ticket

FREE Ticket to Missouri Game (based on availability)

FREE Ticket to United Center Game (based on availability)

Reception with team and/or coaching staff

1st priority for NCAA tournament tickets (must purchase/ based on availability)

Guaranteed floor seating for every home game (must arrive no later than 30 minutes before tip-off)

Express check-in at all home basketball games (must arrive no later than 30 minutes before tip-off)

VARSITY TEAM MEMBER

$1.50 DONOR (per 3-pt shot) ($1 for freshman/ transfer students*)

FREE ORANGE KRUSH Basketball Season Ticket

2nd Priority Seating- Missouri & United Center Games (must purchase/ based on availability)

2nd Priority for NCAA tournament tickets (must purchase/ based on availability)

SCOUT TEAM MEMBER

$1.00 DONOR (per 3-pt shot)

Opportunity to PURCHASE any remaining ORANGE KRUSH Season Tickets

3rd Priority Seating- Missouri & United Center Games (must purchase/ based on availability)

3rd Priority for NCAA tournament tickets (must purchase/ based on availability)

COACH'S CIRCLE

In addition to the benefits you receive according to your donor level (All-American, Varsity, or Scout), the three Orange Krush members who raise the most money will also be awarded the following prizes:

First Prize - Travel with the team on a Big Ten conference game roadtrip (hotel accommodations, game ticket, pre-game meal

and travel expenses included)

Second Prize - Basketball signed by Coach Weber and a chance to be an Honorary Coach and sit on the bench at a home

game.

Third Prize - Illinois Basketball Jersey

Runners Up (10) - 8 x 10 team photo signed by player/coach of choice

Tips on raising pledges:

Ask family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

Approach local corporations and businesses.

Ask your professors and ANYONE affiliated with the U of I.

Approach fans at football tailgates, volleyball or soccer games.

START AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Do NOT give false pledges, or pledges you don't expect to pay. This will eliminate your chance of being in Orange Krush again.

JOINING THE ORANGE KRUSH DOES NOT GUARANTEE A SEAT ON THE FLOOR. FLOOR SEATS ARE ON A FIRST-COME GAME DAY BASIS. HOWEVER, ALL KRUSH MEMBERS ARE GUARANTEED A SEAT INSIDE THE ASSEMBLY HALL.

Frequently Asked Questions about the 3-Point Program

Is the donation tax-deductible?

Yes

How many three pointers do the Illini make?

Over the past 6 seasons, the team has averaged 231 three-pointers.

How much can an individual pledge?

The minimum amount a person can pledge per shot is $0.10. Based on the 6 year average, their end of the season total would be $23.10. If a person wishes to donate less, ask that they make a cash donation and submit at the beginning of the season with your pledge sheet.

Who should my donor make their check out to?

Orange Krush Foundation

How are pledges collected?

All funds are collected by the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.

When are donors notified?

A letter will be sent to every donor at the beginning of the basketball season thanking them for their donation. At the

conclusion of the basketball season another letter is sent out providing them with the total of the pledge and asked to remit payment in the envelope provided.

What charities benefit from the program?

Once all the money has been collected and deposited into a special account, the Orange Krush Foundation Board will distribute all profits using the following formula: 50% Orange Krush Rod Cardinal Sports Medicine Fund and 50% Local Charities/ Special Projects. Please visit www.illinipride.com for a list of the charities that have benefited from the Orange Krush 3-Point Program.

Can I accept cash donations?

Yes, but we ask that all cash donations less than $25.00 are collected in advance and submitted when you turn in your pledge sheet. Please include the donor's information on your pledge sheet so we can send them a thank you letter at the end of the season.

How do I know how much a cash donation is worth?

Every $25 in cash you receive is considered a $0.10 pledge. If you received a $50 cash donation, that would be considered a $0.20 pledge.

Do I have to get a certain number of pledges?

No, if you wish to be an All-American, you could get one person/ business to pledge you $3.00 or 30 people/ businesses to pledge you $0.10 each. You can reach your desired pledge level in any combination of pledges or flat donations.

Since Iowa State doesn't have a football team, I figured I'd start this now.

Despite what you say, they actually have a lgit shot at playing in the Big XII title game... The North is teh suxors...

Right now I would say Kansas and Missouri are the front-runners, and when you say that about football, you know it's up for grabs.

Despite what you say, they actually have a lgit shot at playing in the Big XII title game... The North is teh suxors...

Right now I would say Kansas and Missouri are the front-runners, and when you say that about football, you know it's up for grabs.

The North has been absolutely terrible...if only Texas played in the North, eh?

Greasy, i'm going to try to grab a bunch of single game tickets for others, namely the Wake game, IU game, some other Big Ten games...then hope to get rid of them later.  I'll try to swing as many IU tix as possible if i can get any, i know a ton of people at IU. You could always stay with me, i could probly get some of you into the Krush...but in all honesty, you would have to wear orange. You'd get booted pretty easily if you had IU stuff on and i snuck you down there to begin with. So it's up to you.

Awesome...I'll definitely have to talk to you about that when it gets a little closer. I totally understand about not wearing red. I had a friend from Purdue come down just for the IU-Mich State game, and told him to bring a red shirt or borrow one of mine. I saw some people walking around with a Purdue b-ball shirt on at the tailgaiting at the first game of the year, he got so disgraced. I'm planning on going to the IU-PU football game to close the season, and I definitely don't plan on wearing any red at the time. I know how it works.