*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois lands third 2005 recruit:

PG Chester Frazier from Baltimore, MD

All I know hes 6'1", 180; good defender who is up and coming on alot of people's rankings. Supposedly he was only recruited by smaller A10 schools until recently when UConn, Illinois and other schools took notice. Most expected him to wait until spring to declare. But when the Illini offered a scholarship he accepted immediately.

Illini Fans welcome Chester!!!!!!! :cheers

Illinois lands third 2005 recruit:

PG Chester Frazier from Baltimore, MD

All I know hes 6'1", 180; good defender who is up and coming on alot of people's rankings. Supposedly he was only recruited by smaller A10 schools until recently when UConn, Illinois and other schools took notice. Most expected him to wait until spring to declare. But when the Illini offered a scholarship he accepted immediately.

Illini Fans welcome Chester!!!!!!!  :cheers

wow, look at that list:

One of these is not like the other (or at least shouldn't be). . .

College of Charleston

Fordham

Illinois

La Salle

Binghamton

Drexel

Manhattan

Miami (Oh)

Siena

He cancelled a trip to LaSalle to go to Illinois.

Illinois is a top 5 team this year, this should not be a name associated with the Illini.

Who is Weber's head recruiter, maybe they should bring in a former player or big time assistant to do some recruiting, ala Danny Manning at Kansas.

Yea I heard Kansas fans were having a good time ripping on the Illini after picking up this recruit...

Although I dont know much about him I do know his stock was rising and I'm hoping we caught a diamond in the rough.

Better than some of those 1 and dones that Kansas keeps bringing in....Ok I'm bitter :P

Yea I heard Kansas fans were having a good time ripping on the Illini after picking up this recruit...

Although I dont know much about him I do know his stock was rising and I'm hoping we caught a diamond in the rough.

Better than some of those 1 and dones that Kansas keeps bringing in....Ok I'm bitter  :P

Few points.

1. Who is a Jayhawk who has been one and done??? I am waiting please.

2. There is nothing wrong wtih a low end recruit. KU is recruiting Martynas Pocious who is deciding between KU and DUke, but he is not high because he plays mostly in europe.

3. Most recruits do leave after a few years, but the good teams keep stockpiling taletnt. The best example of that is Mich STate, Izzo is wonderful recruiter.

4. This recruit is embarrasing for the Illini program, who is picked really high this year, I hope he does well for you guys.

1.  Who is a Jayhawk who has been one and done???  I am waiting please. 

Ok....Ok...Kansas has no history of one and dones...

2.  There is nothing wrong wtih a low end recruit.  KU is recruiting Martynas Pocious who is deciding between KU and DUke, but he is not high because he plays mostly in europe.

Agreed...I'm not embarrassed by the signing of Frazier because he is a low recruit. We need a young PG and he seems to have alot of raw talent, his shooting is the one thing that he lacked (from what I read) and it sounds like he lit it up when he visited last weekend. I'm hoping Weber who did well at SIU with middle of the road prospects found a sleeper in Frazier.

3.  Most recruits do leave after a few years, but the good teams keep stockpiling taletnt. The best example of that is Mich STate, Izzo is wonderful recruiter.

Good teams do reload, I hope in time the Illini can have a team like that but until they reach a final four or are ranked in the top 10 consistently that is NOT goin to happen...Self is a recruiter hopefully he can mold all that talent he has into a dominant force b/c right now his recruiting > coaching IMO. As for Izzo well Mich States past few seasons speak for themself.

4.  This recruit is embarrasing for the Illini program, who is picked really high this year, I hope he does well for you guys.

I disagree, I dont think its embarrasing. We missed out on a number of top recruits but I still dont see this as a desperation signing. I genuinely think the coaching staff saw something in Frazier and wanted to get him before some larger schools jumped in. The Illini basketball program is still strong and should be for at least the next two seasons, hopefully some of these new guys pan out. I think were saving our last scholarship until the spring hoping we can nab Jordan from Oak Hill or another big name.

Agreed...I'm not embarrassed by the signing of Frazier because he is a low recruit. We need a young PG and he seems to have alot of raw talent, his shooting is the one thing that he lacked (from what I read) and it sounds like he lit it up when he visited last weekend.  I'm hoping Weber who did well at SIU with middle of the road prospects found a sleeper in Frazier. 

Good teams do reload, I hope in time the Illini can have a team like that but until they reach a final four or are ranked in the top 10 consistently that is NOT goin to happen...Self is a recruiter hopefully he can mold all that talent he has into a dominant force b/c right now his recruiting > coaching IMO.  As for Izzo well Mich States past few seasons speak for themself.

I disagree, I dont think its embarrasing. We missed out on a number of top recruits but I still dont see this as a desperation signing. I genuinely think the coaching staff saw something in Frazier and wanted to get him before some larger schools jumped in. The Illini basketball program is still strong and should be for at least the next two seasons, hopefully some of these new guys pan out. I think were saving our last scholarship until the spring hoping we can nab Jordan from Oak Hill or another big name.

u make some good points.

I think were saving our last scholarship until the spring hoping we can nab Jordan from Oak Hill or another big name.

Its actually Jamont Gordon and we do have a shot at him if he waits to spring after Deron has a huge year and goes pro. Shuf I don't understand the embarrasment to the basketball program comment. That is one of the dumbest f***ing things I have ever heard. Whether he is an Illinois caliber player is up for debate but to say a guy who hasn't played a second of college basketball yet and is going to get college level coaching at a great prep school this year (Ryan Gomes is a former alum) is an embarrassment, is ludicrous. The only way I would be embarrased to be an Illini basketball fan is if we start catering to criminals on a consistent basis cough *cough Cinci cough* or the program should get the death penalty for repeated sanctions or paying recruit insane amounts of money to play for us *cough Michigan cough*. Those are the type of programs I could not be a fan of, personally I'll wait and see if he turns out to be a good player or not, but I highly doubt he ever does anything to embarrass the program

Its actually Jamont Gordon and we do have a shot at him if he waits to spring after Deron has a huge year and goes pro.  Shuf I don't understand the embarrasment to the basketball program comment.  That is one of the dumbest f***ing things I have ever heard.  Whether he is an Illinois caliber player is up for debate but to say a guy who hasn't played a second of college basketball yet and is going to get college level coaching at a great prep school this year (Ryan Gomes is a former alum) is an embarrassment, is ludicrous.  The only way I would be embarrased to be an Illini basketball fan is if we start catering to criminals on a consistent basis cough *cough Cinci cough* or the program should get the death penalty for repeated sanctions or paying recruit insane amounts of money to play for us *cough Michigan cough*.  Those are the type of programs I could not be a fan of, personally I'll wait and see if he turns out to be a good player or not, but I highly doubt he ever does anything to embarrass the program

ok embarrasing is not the right word of choice.

As an illini fan I expect the best recruits and its kind of a punch in the face when you get a 2 star recruit who chooses you over LaSalle and Binghamton. But, he may be a diamond in the rough, who knows.

Dont forget Mizzou as am embarassming program. Players and coaches's wives talking from a prison phone threatening the AD's Life.

Agreed...I'm not embarrassed by the signing of Frazier because he is a low recruit. We need a young PG and he seems to have alot of raw talent, his shooting is the one thing that he lacked (from what I read) and it sounds like he lit it up when he visited last weekend.  I'm hoping Weber who did well at SIU with middle of the road prospects found a sleeper in Frazier. 

Good teams do reload, I hope in time the Illini can have a team like that but until they reach a final four or are ranked in the top 10 consistently that is NOT goin to happen...Self is a recruiter hopefully he can mold all that talent he has into a dominant force b/c right now his recruiting > coaching IMO.  As for Izzo well Mich States past few seasons speak for themself.

You're right. I want no part in NCAA Championships or Final Fours. Let's compare the last few seasons....

You're right. I want no part in NCAA Championships or Final Fours. Let's compare the last few seasons....

How did I know u were gonna mistake what I meant...

Izzo's history precedes him...They have been an OUTSTANDING PROGRAM for the past few years...

I'm hoping Illinois can half half the success they have had in the NCAA tourney

There is no comparision

I've said it before and i'll say it again...Weber needs another year or two to establish himself at a big program before he will be a 'great' recruiter. He hasn't established himself at the premier school level, so right now the program has to sell itself. If Weber can put up a good showing this year and the Illini go far i think recruiting will take care of itself. Comparing Weber to Izzo is just ridiculous as far as recruiting expectations goes.

Oh and we still have McClain who is a pretty good recruiter...but i don't know if another change for a head recruiter is really necessary.

If you can develop players, its just as good as recruiting top players every year. Take a look at Gary Williams compared to coach K, they have had similar success lately and they do it completely different ways. K gets top players every year and doesn't really develop them, Gary gets lower rated players and molds them into very good players. Similar to what Roy Williams did at KU, Paul Hewitt at GT, and Tubby Smith before this year at UK. They got commitments from top 100 guys that left some people scratching their heads, then developed them into top players. Now Roy Williams, Tubby, and Hewitt for different reasons, have improved recruiting this year into top 5 classes.

The question is, which method will work for Weber? Will he develop these lower rated players until he get more accomplishments at Illinois, or will be stick with lower rated guys and turn them into good players? You sure don't want the alternative of recruiting lower rated guys and not developing them. I think Illinois program is good enough that it will recruit some guys on its own, Weber just has to help prod.

Either way, before you can claim someone as a bad recruiter, you have to see what they do with the talent that comes on campus.

How did I know u were gonna mistake what I meant...

Izzo's history precedes him...They have been an OUTSTANDING PROGRAM for the past few years...

I'm hoping Illinois can half half the success they have had in the NCAA tourney

There is no comparision

Ah, I get what you're saying. No problem here. Just too many people on here would rather completly tear teams down. :cheers

If I were in his shoes, I would do the same damn thing.

I wouldn't, but thats only because I've always thought it would be more fun and challenging to build a very good program into a great one then go to a prepackaged great program. Where is the challenge in coaching a Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc.

I wouldn't, but thats only because I've always thought it would be more fun and challenging to build a very good program into a great one then go to a prepackaged great program.  Where is the challenge in coaching a Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc.

That is a very EA Sports answer.

you know take a crappy team and recruit to be the best.

Crappy team to the best? Are you describing Illinois as s***ty when Self took them over? I think you need a history lesson.

I also agree it would be more fun/challenging to take a good team and bring it into the top 10 programs in the country, not bolt when you've laid the framework for such a program