AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!&#

NUKE_CLEVELAND

I know people have gotten after Nuke about this, but I for one have defended him and will continue to until Jason makes a decision on whether his catch phrase should be outlawed.

I posted something in the thread on SL&P on this where Steff brought up that people from the Sox read the board and feel it is classless for stuff like this.

My point was if our own manager regularly uses obscenities when dealing with the media, what's wrong with Nuke saying EAT s***, when everyone knows its all in fun.

Alex, I completely understand where you're coming from and you have my respect as you know.

One difference, we don't see all the stuff that Ozzie says in print. Nor do we know if those subjected to Ozzie's, ummm, "saltiness" have expressed that he tone it down.

I don't have as much objection to the catch phrase as you or the originator might think. My main objection is ... several people have said they find it (pick your objectionable adjective here), and yet those several people are the ones being asked to adapt (put me on ignore if you don't like it). Adaptation should be a two way street, no? I have never been in the chat room, nor do I intend to ... so that's my form of "ignore". Sort of like not going into a bar or restaurant or party where you're out of your element so to speak. I choose not to go there, isn't that "ignore" enough? No one objects to it over there as I understand it, but people do object to it over here. Not sure why there cannot be a little bit of two way street adaptation.

Certainly not my call, just expressing an opinion here. Also, not trying to be the Politically Correct either. I am far from that as many here know.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I just wanna beat Nuke into the punch 1 time this season.  :P  :lol:

"Hedge" your bets tonight and start one in the 5th inning if the Sox are up :rolly .

Starting "..... White Sox Winner" threads before the 3rd out of the last inning of the opponents last AB is stupid and will, eventually, come back to bite someone regardless of what the situation on the field was.

I've seen too many 9th inning rally's w/no one on and 2 outs in my lifetime to cash anything in before that 3rd out is made.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
"Hedge" your bets tonight and start one in the 5th inning if the Sox are up  :rolly .

Starting "..... White Sox Winner" threads before the 3rd out of the last inning of the opponents last AB is stupid and will, eventually, come back to bite someone regardless of what the situation on the field was.

I've seen too many 9th inning rally's w/no one on and 2 outs in my lifetime to cash anything in before that 3rd out is made.

Agreed. I'm not seeing any great reasons for starting one before the final out of the game has been made.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Alex, I completely understand where you're coming from and you have my respect as you know.

One difference, we don't see all the stuff that Ozzie says in print.  Nor do we know if those subjected to Ozzie's, ummm, "saltiness" have expressed that he tone it down.

I don't have as much objection to the catch phrase as you or the originator might think.  My main objection is ... several people have said they find it (pick your objectionable adjective here), and yet those several people are the ones being asked to adapt (put me on ignore if you don't like it).  Adaptation should be a two way street, no?  I have never been in the chat room, nor do I intend to ... so that's my form of "ignore".  Sort of like not going into a bar or restaurant or party where you're out of your element so to speak.  I choose not to go there, isn't that "ignore" enough?  No one objects to it over there as I understand it, but people do object to it over here.  Not sure why there cannot be a little bit of two way street adaptation.

Certainly not my call, just expressing an opinion here.  Also, not trying to be the Politically Correct either.  I am far from that as many here know.

As usual, a classy post from Jim. Certainly expected, as always.

My main reaction was to the fact that people from the Sox organization don't like the EAT s*** phrase. If they don't, understandable. But at the same time, why not address that kind of language from the man who is the face of your organization who is saying much worse things than EAT s***.

I think Nuke is pretty tame on the boards compared to the chat. The same goes for myself and many others. The chat is certainly overboard at times in terms of what goes on. I am sure that if we got together and decided that for the best interest of the board we cut out the catch phrase, Nuke would have no problem eliminating it.

For now, I think its fine as long as it doesn't go any farther or include personal insults towards anybody.

It's a fine line around here trying to make things lenient for folks and not becoming another WSI. For the most part, I think we walk the line fairly well and try to keep discussion very open between mods and admins when things need to be cleaned up or taken care of.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I know we had a huge go around via PM and I am not trying to start anything here but I am curious about something.

Is there any reason why you can't leave your catch phrase in chat?  It's much looser over there from what I understand, and many of us don't go there for exactly that reason.  The mods and admins just told us to try and clean things up a bit.  While I understand some people think the eat s*** stuff is funny, quite a few people have also spoken up against it.

Not sure why people have to adapt to you by putting you on ignore.  Most of us have been here a long time and don't have anyone on ignore.  Any reason why you can't adapt a bit?

There's a lot of stuff that gets said around here that's worse than "eat s***" and nobody says anything. I mentioned it before that my little catch phrase falls well within the parameters of conduct the site has established so until the rules change I think it's still fair game. If such a rule change takes place I will adjust accordingly and not complain one bit.

I realize some people are bothered by it so I keep it confined to the "winner" threads on PHT. If in every other post I wrote I said eat s*** or something to that effect I would be somewhat more sympathetic.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
"Hedge" your bets tonight and start one in the 5th inning if the Sox are up  :rolly .

If it ever bites me in the ass I will refrain from EVER starting a winner thread again.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
As usual, a classy post from Jim.  Certainly expected, as always.

My main reaction was to the fact that people from the Sox organization don't like the EAT s*** phrase.  If they don't, understandable.  But at the same time, why not address that kind of language from the man who is the face of your organization who is saying much worse things than EAT s***.

I think Nuke is pretty tame on the boards compared to the chat.  The same goes for myself and many others.  The chat is certainly overboard at times in terms of what goes on.  I am sure that if we got together and decided that for the best interest of the board we cut out the catch phrase, Nuke would have no problem eliminating it.

For now, I think its fine as long as it doesn't go any farther or include personal insults towards anybody.

It's a fine line around here trying to make things lenient for folks and not becoming another WSI.  For the most part, I think we walk the line fairly well and try to keep discussion very open between mods and admins when things need to be cleaned up or taken care of.

Steff did not say people from the front office have lurked here. She said players have and they have commented about the amount of vulgarity. The players have no say about Ozzie's "saltiness" whatsoever. Considering those facts, your argument leaves something to be desired. Respectfully intended, of course.

There's a lot of stuff that gets said around here that's worse than "eat s***" and nobody says anything.  I mentioned it before that my little catch phrase falls well within the parameters of conduct the site has established so until the rules change I think it's still fair game.  If such a rule change takes place I will adjust accordingly and not complain one bit.

I realize some people are bothered by it so I keep it confined to the "winner" threads on PHT.  If in every other post I wrote I said eat s*** or something to that effect I would be somewhat more sympathetic.

Well, we just have a difference in opinion and that's fine.

As far as a lot of stuff being said worse than eat s*** and no one says anything ... a lot of people have indeed complained about those worse things, and people have complained about eat s*** too. So, it goes both ways. To say that nobody says anything is an untrue generalization. Again, not trying to pick at your words, but people here frequently voice objections if they feel someone is "over the top", for lack of a better phrase.

I also realize you have made an effort to tone things down and keep the catch phrase into one specific thread, that has been noticed and is appreciated. It is very easy for me to ignore those specific threads, which is exactly what I should do if I know it's going to be something that annoys me.

To summarize, I hope we don't have strict rules here like at WSI, I completely agree with Aboz that the mods and admins do a great job walking the fine line. To me it all comes down to each person's definition of what's acceptable within a moderated forum. Those definitions are different from person to person. Which, of course, is to be expected since this is a very diverse crowd. So, we will all try to do the best we can to coexist.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Steff did not say people from the front office have lurked here.  She said players have and they have commented about the amount of vulgarity.  The players have no say about Ozzie's "saltiness" whatsoever.  Considering those facts, your argument leaves something to be desired.  Respectfully intended, of course.

If they cannot take reading Nuke saying EAT s***, then perhaps a cup check is warranted. :P

And if its Kevin Walker, Vizcaino or some other turd who doesn't like the eat s***, well then...too bad.... :D

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Well, we just have a difference in opinion and that's fine.

As far as a lot of stuff being said worse than eat s*** and no one says anything ... a lot of people have indeed complained about those worse things, and people have complained about eat s*** too.  So, it goes both ways.  To say that nobody says anything is an untrue generalization.  Again, not trying to pick at your words, but people here frequently voice objections if they feel someone is "over the top", for lack of a better phrase.

You do have a point about that. I began to realize that as I was sifting through the Timo thread again. LOL! Still, as far as Soxtalk's problems go I think my winner threads are pretty far down the list.

In all seriousness, this has been a good thread to discuss things and I think Nuke has always given me the indication that he is willing to do what is needed to conform to the standards around here. That being said, until something comes down the pipes from Mr. Gage, I see nothing wrong with his comments in the winner threads.

In all seriousness, this has been a good thread to discuss things and I think Nuke has always given me the indication that he is willing to do what is needed to conform to the standards around here.  That being said, until something comes down the pipes from Mr. Gage, I see nothing wrong with his comments in the winner threads.

So are you saying that everyone should just calm down and eat a nice helping? :lol: ;)

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
NO

NO

AND NO

I will not use the PBR logo for an avatar.

You're not very loyal to our chat sponsor...Guess we'll have to start charging you by the minute to use the chat. :P