The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

Soxtalk's favorite Chicago baseball source, the intelligble, Bruce Levine is reporting the White Sox and Marlins are getting very close to making a Brandon McCarthy + Damaso Marte for AJ Burnett trade sometime within the next 24 hours.

This has now become a real possibility as both the ESPN Radio Chicago Sportscenter and the ESPN Radio national Sportscenter-updates have picked this up.

Your thoughts? Is this the move to make? Do you consider taking on Lowell with Frank on the shelf?

Post it here.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I havnt heard this yet, maybe cuz I am not listening to the radio...lol. But to get to the point of my post, I would love this trade ONLY if the sox pick you another lefty for the pen. As for Lowell, I would only think about taking him if Flordia picks up most of the contract.

I know we are up 10.5 games, but it just seems like this team needs a kick in the ass to get the back on track, and if this trade happends, hopefully that would be the kick start they needed.

Posted in the other thread that I really want Lowell as part of this deal at this point, and I think Levine is saying it's still possible he's added.

Has anyone heard how the deal changes is Lowell is added, ie what extra do the Sox have to give up, etc... I think if the Sox are willing to eat some of that contract they would probably only have to give up another prospect, but if Marlins eat a good deal of money it would be a high prospect

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Joe Crede @ $400,000 - .253/.307/.441

Mike Lowell @ $7,500,000 - .236/.285/.366

I think they would both still be here right? Even if the Sox take on Lowell I haven't heard Crede's going.

Also, I would add to Mike Lowell's column World Series Champion. Not a bad bench insurance policy IMO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Joe Crede @ $400,000 - .253/.307/.441

Mike Lowell @ $7,500,000 - .236/.285/.366

Lowell would be decent insurance, however.

Wow, its amazing how quickly I can go from hating Crede to loving him, but he's been hitting lately... one of the few.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Posted in the other thread that I really want Lowell as part of this deal at this point, and I think Levine is saying it's still possible he's added.

Has anyone heard how the deal changes is Lowell is added, ie what extra do the Sox have to give up, etc... I think if the Sox are willing to eat some of that contract they would probably only have to give up another prospect, but if Marlins eat a good deal of money it would be a high prospect

I, too, would be very interested in Lowell for a varity of reasons; the first of which, deals with adding a veteran bat while Frank is on the DL. Also, keep in mind that if the Sox consider taking Lowell in the deal, that may result in keeping Marte on the Southside. Natrually, this is all complete speculation, but if the Sox are willing to take on Lowell and take on a good portion of his contract, the Marlins may see that as a bigger piece to their success than adding Marte.

Lowell is a veteran bat that may just need a chance of scenary and a reuniting of sorts with Ozzie to get back on track. Adding a veteran bat that can spell Crede at 3B while taking some at-bats at the DH position with Frank on the DL is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER a bad thing--contract and all.

Also, just a few things I wanted to toss out for discussion:

-Those worried about chemistry: does the fact that Ozzie worked hands-on with these guys during a WS run help put those worries aside?

-How do you feel about adding Contreras to the bullpen to fill-in a set-up role, but also provide the best long-man in all of baseball?

-If the Sox aquire a very capable LHP for the pen, have you already pulled the trigger?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
I think they would both still be here right?  Even if the Sox take on Lowell I haven't heard Crede's going. 

Also, I would add to Mike Lowell's column World Series Champion.  Not a bad bench insurance policy IMO.

Excellent posts made by you in both threads this morning. Excellent. :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)

Wow, its amazing how quickly I can go from hating Crede to loving him, but he's been hitting lately... one of the few.

Crede's a very streaky guy, and he's in one of his hot streaks at the moment. He seems to usually have better 2nd halfs too. So maybe this is the start of a really solid stretch for Crede.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)

Not for $7,500,000 or even half of that, and then of course he's under contract for another season. If anything, this lineup needs a good lefty hitter, Lowell doesn't give you that.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
I think that is what a lot of folks are hinging on. (present company included)

100% agree, you can NOT make this deal, say it improves your club and then call Kevin Walker up, he f***ing sucks

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I think that is what a lot of folks are hinging on. (present company included)

how could you not be happy with that?

Adding a better starter, plus a solid BP arm, just for marte + bmac? That's an amazing deal

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Not for $7,500,000 or even half of that, and then of course he's under contract for another season. If anything, this lineup needs a good lefty hitter, Lowell doesn't give you that.

It's possible with the attendance upswing and the new TV deal that the Sox are finally in a position to be a team that can have a bad contract or two on it and still be OK. If Marlins take 1/2 of the contract it's only 3.75, which isn't horrible, hell 5 wouldn't be bad at this point.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)

Yeah, but, D, if the Sox are willing to increase the payroll and have the luxury of keeping a $7.5M insurance resource on the roster, why worry?

If money is really the only thing holding you back, and the Sox are willing to absorb that sort of hit, why worry?

I think Lowell could be a god-send. Seriously. He's a veteran hitter having a BIG down year, but getting thrown into the fierce competition of a pennant chase may be all he needs to rekindle that thumping bat of his.

I'm not sure if I'd like that deal yet. All I know is that Levine (heh), said that he'd be traded today, most likely.

The only thing I know for sure is that I want Burnett traded ASAP, even if it's to another team, because then we could stop hearing every day how he's going to be moved on said day.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Excellent posts made by you in both threads this morning.  Excellent. :cheers  :cheers

Thanks! I know I have been one of the posters that have been getting a little slag for some negative posts lately. It's just that I think this team is very good, and a move or two can push them over the top, and the Boston series has been frustrating. (also I'm taking the Bar on Tuesday, so I'm also going insane)

But I love Soxtalk.com, the banter about the haters and lovers the last two days has been fun!