Healthy Podsednik

the People's Champ

When Pods comes back, if he is 100%, is this going to be enough to awaken our sleeping bats? I personally don't see how him being in the lineup makes the team start hitting. I see him as a threat that keeps the opposition on its toes, by forcing plays and causing pitchers fits but thats it. Am I wrong, what does everyone else think?

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
When Pods comes back, if he is 100%,  is this going to be enough to awaken our sleeping bats?  I personally don't see how him being in the lineup makes the team start hitting.  I see him as a threat that keeps the opposition on its toes, by forcing plays  and causing pitchers fits but thats it.  Am I wrong, what does everyone else think?

Pods is a spark. The offense was struggling as he was as well when he went down but the moment he went down the offense just went into an absolutely huge funk. When he's on base things just happen, he can run, pitchers start to worry about him, all the sudden Tad, Carl, and Pauly are getting better pitches to hit. He's not just going to magically make the offense score a ton of runs, but he's going to help.....a lot.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
You make it seem like he is going to hurt the team. While I don't think Podsednik is to jolt the O to score 6+ more runs a game, but Pods>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Timo/Anderson/Ozuna.

I also think it will provide a boost to the other players on the team, knowing an All-star at the top of the lineup back.

He definately doesn't hurt the team, thats not what Im saying. But all I hear is that we have gone into a slump since Pods went down, and I don't see how him being back in the lineup is going to miraculously make everyone start hitting again. I hope I am wrong. Maybe its a chemistry thing. who knows

Wasn't Pods supposed to start playing tonight in the minors?  All I know is that he wasn't playing tonight, and he's not supposed to join Charlotte until Saturday.

Nope, I think he was set to take batting practice today and tomorrow and play with Charlotte on Saturday and Sunday. Supposedly, he will be back with us on Monday.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Wasn't Pods supposed to start playing tonight in the minors?  All I know is that he wasn't playing tonight, and he's not supposed to join Charlotte until Saturday.

I heard he was on his way to charlotte today. He is supposed to play Sat. and Sun. then be back for the opener in Texas.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
When Pods comes back, if he is 100%,  is this going to be enough to awaken our sleeping bats?  I personally don't see how him being in the lineup makes the team start hitting.  I see him as a threat that keeps the opposition on its toes, by forcing plays  and causing pitchers fits but thats it.  Am I wrong, what does everyone else think?

That bad part is he won't be coming back 100%. That sucks, he can go on crazy base stealing streaks if hes ok but since hes not its going to be harder. I think he said hed probably be back around 90% because a strained or pulled muscle is not something that can heal right away.

He does add to our team wether hes 90% or 100%, hopefully he can get back to form and give us our good leadoff hitter back.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
That bad part is he won't be coming back 100%. That sucks, he can go on crazy base stealing streaks if hes ok but since hes not its going to be harder. I think he said hed probably be back around 90% because a strained or pulled muscle is not something that can heal right away.

He does add to our team wether hes 90% or 100%, hopefully he can get back to form and give us our good leadoff hitter back.

If that is the case why bring him back? Is this a smart move?? I say let him get healthy, why risk him totally blowing out a groin and then missing the playoffs completely.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
If that is the case why bring him back?  Is this a smart move??  I say let him get healthy, why risk him totally blowing out a groin and then missing the playoffs completely.

Well an aggrevated muscle is not something u wait a few weeks to heal, it takes a lot of time. Its not something u can fully heal during the season, its something that has to heal in the offseason when he isn't out in the field everyday and stealing bases. You can't rush something like that, it takes time.

Pods getting on helps Iguchi. Gives him more room to shoot those balls into right field.

It was no accident that we were scoring all those first inning runs the first half of the season and getting the lead in nearly every game.

If we can survive this weekend and get Pods back healthy, we should be more confident and potent with the sticks.

I know one guy doesn't make a team but when Scottie is healthy he is the catalyst to the offense. When he gets on base he disrupts the pitcher's concentration. He also seems to make Iguchi better. Is it just coincidence that Iguchi has somewhat struggled lately? Another thing Scottie is good at is making the pitcher throw some pitches. I know he strikes out a little too much but I'd rather have the pitcher throw 6 or 7 pitches to Scottie than have Timo swing at the first pitch most of the time.

Scott definitely adds value to the team.

The Sox offense averages 5.2 runs in games when Podsednik reaches base at least once. When Scott doesn't reach base, the Sox average 3.1 runs per game.

In games where Scott steals at least one base, the Sox average 5.6 runs. In games where he steals multiple bases, the Sox average 5.75 runs.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Scott definitely adds value to the team.

The Sox offense averages 5.2 runs in games when Podsednik reaches base at least once. When Scott doesn't reach base, the Sox average 3.1 runs per game.

In games where Scott steals at least one base, the Sox average 5.6 runs. In games where he steals multiple bases, the Sox average 5.75 runs.

wow, excellent first post, great info.

welcome :cheers :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Pods is a spark.  The offense was struggling as he was as well when he went down but the moment he went down the offense just went into an absolutely huge funk.  When he's on base things just happen, he can run, pitchers start to worry about him, all the sudden Tad, Carl, and Pauly are getting better pitches to hit.  He's not just going to magically make the offense score a ton of runs, but he's going to help.....a lot.

I agree. I just hope he's strong enough to resume running full tilt when he comes back. His type of injury can be stubborn. I want the country to see the real Pods doing his thing in October.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
wow, excellent first post, great info.

welcome :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

LOL! I just remembered my first post and how stupid I sounded. It was during that game vs Colorado where Ozuna was making a ton of mistakes. Now you know why I am the king of pessimism:

f*** you Ozuna! You should retire from the game mid-game.

Note to Admin/Moderator: This is a copy and paste of somehting that was posted a few months ago. I do not wish ill will towards any Sox player these days. :P

Spark, catalyst, chemistry... Next I'm going to be given a lecture on osmosis.

I agree w/ the op. Pods will help b/c his obp is higher than anyone's, save Konerko, and b/c it takes Timo out of the lineup and out of the leadoff spot (lowest obp of anyone with nearly the same amount of pt). That's no small thing, but it won't make anyone else hit. Pods hit well at the beginning of the year and our offense still had problems. Why would it be any different now? It'll help, but we still have problems.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Spark, catalyst, chemistry...  Next I'm going to be given a lecture on osmosis.

I agree w/ the op.  Pods will help b/c his obp is higher than anyone's, save Konerko, and b/c it takes Timo out of the lineup and out of the leadoff spot (lowest obp of anyone with nearly the same amount of pt).  That's no small thing, but it won't make anyone else hit.  Pods hit well at the beginning of the year and our offense still had problems.  Why would it be any different now?  It'll help, but we still have problems.

Actually having pods on base helps the guys behind him a lot, so I completely disagree with that statement. Also we were scoring a ton more runs at the beginning of the season, so your point is off base imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Actually having pods on base helps the guys behind him a lot, so I completely disagree with that statement.  Also we were scoring a ton more runs at the beginning of the season, so your point is off base imo.

Merely average, or somewhat below average, would be "a ton more runs" than now. This is abysmal, a joke. That doesn't mean our offense was good early in the season -- do you think it was?

I don't know how much Pods being on base helps other hitters, I'd guess the effect isn't so large as you think. Plus, even if it's as important as you say -- Pods has to get on base first, and he wasn't doing that before the injury, and if that effect depends on his speed, it will be muted b/c he won't be 100%. So I still say we have a problem with our offense.

I'm not trying to downplay a swing of 80 points or so in the leadoff obp, though, that will definitely help.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Actually having pods on base helps the guys behind him a lot, so I completely disagree with that statement.  Also we were scoring a ton more runs at the beginning of the season, so your point is off base imo

I kinda agree with Jackie on this about Pods not helping with everyone elses hitting. But you brought up a valid point in your earlier post about guys behind Pods in the order seeing better pitches when hes on base and wreaking havok. I guess we'll have to wait and see