Swisher's Boys

Great article. :headbang

Swisher's hard work and extra hitting paying dividends

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Nick Swisher entertains his teammates almost daily with original, spontaneous handshakes and wild jumps for joy.

"It takes some creativity," a grinning Swisher said, sitting in the Athletics' dugout before a recent game. "You've got to get in your right mind if you're going to do handshakes."

Swisher has had plenty of reason to break out the celebratory moves so far this season. Providing a major bright spot for Oakland's inconsistent offense, the 25-year-old also is playing first base and left field with equal flair for the slow-starting A's.

In his second big league season, Swisher headed into Oakland's off day Thursday with a team-best nine home runs -- tied for the second most in the American League. He homered for the third straight game Monday at Texas, a stretch that started with his first career grand slam in Saturday's home loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

Swisher credits his early season power surge to eating a power breakfast of two well-garnished bagels, heeding the advice of hitting coach Gerald Perry, his commitment to early hitting every day, a better bat, and just plain soaking up knowledge from new teammate Frank Thomas.

"I'm having more fun than I've ever had in my whole life playing this game," he said.

Swisher has been the most productive of Oakland's four players who were rookies together last year: Swisher, starting pitcher Joe Blanton, AL Rookie of the Year closer Huston Street and first baseman Dan Johnson.

Manager Ken Macha always insisted last season he had four legitimate candidates for Rookie of the Year.

"He's swinging the bat very well," Macha said. "It's very pleasing to see him get off to a great start like he is."

Swisher led AL rookies with 74 RBIs in 2005 and his 21 home runs tied for the lead with Tampa Bay's Jonny Gomes. The A's are thrilled to see Swisher hasn't slowed down.

"It's been nice," said Swisher, who traded a large-barreled bat for one with a smaller barrel and a skinny handle.

Perry, in his first season as the A's hitting coach, has the switch-hitting Swisher more focused on taking the same number of batting practice swings from both sides of the plate.

And Swisher is now using the same bat from both sides.

"I feel a lot more comfortable," he said. "Now I'm to the point there are no surprises. I know how it's going to be -- the travel, being away from family, going through the success and struggles. It's about keeping on an even keel. I've been hearing that my whole life."

No doubt from his dad.

His father, Steve Swisher, was a nine-year major league catcher with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals and San Diego Padres. So, Swisher was around baseball at a young age.

"He's matured a lot from spring training to now," said Perry, who played with Swisher's dad. "That's great to see. He's been awesome, working his tail off every single day. It's been paying off. He's a guy you want to see coming up when you have a chance to score."

Swisher's approach at the plate is about making every swing the same and not trying to do too much.

He and Milton Bradley hit it off early in spring training despite Bradley's checkered past, which included a run-in with former teammate Jeff Kent last year with the Dodgers. They have developed a special celebration they call "All aboard."

Swisher and Thomas have changed their handshake two or three times already. They are typically the first players in the clubhouse each day.

"Those guys are my boys," Swisher said. "Big Frank has been around the game for a long time and is a future Hall of Famer. Everyone said Milton has been a bad guy. He's one of my best buddies on the team."

Swisher has a daily routine from which he rarely strays: Sleep late, hit his favorite bagel shop for his regular breakfast -- an Asiago cheese bagel with egg, sausage and provolone cheese and also a strawberry bagel with strawberry cream cheese -- gulp a protein shake and arrive at the ballpark between 1 and 1:30 p.m. to start his work day.

That's a couple of hours before most of his teammates.

"I'm a baseball rat," he said. "I was a gym rat my whole life, one of those kids you had to kick out of the weight room, the batting cage. That's pretty much my life."

He and Thomas meet for a cup of clubhouse coffee before heading to the field to hit.

Last week, hours before fans were even allowed to enter the stadium, Swisher tossed one of his bats into the seats behind the A's dugout -- a surprise souvenir for somebody later.

"Swish is a real good kid and he likes to have fun," Thomas said. "He has a pleasant attitude and he's just a refreshing piece of energy. I tell him, 'Don't think, just react, and let your talent take over."'

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
It's too bad we have Thome at DH, he really sucks.  Bring back Frank!!!  We need him!!!  He's ON FIRE this year!!

And this needed to be posted because...?

Is it possible to have any Frank Thomas threads around here without some knucklehead trying to ruin them?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)

Is it possible to have any Frank Thomas threads around here without some knucklehead trying to ruin them?

Apparently, it's impossible.

I don't think any of the Frank backers are saying we want him over Thome or anything. I'm completely happy with Thome and PK. I just don't get why people feel the need to s*** on Frank everytime his name is mentioned around here.

It's pretty pathetic, IMO.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

Is it possible for the Frank fans to realize he was let go because we have a DH that's a lot better than Frank, who is a huge injury risk and as it is right now, isn't hitting despite being on the field?

Did Frank get a raw deal from Kenny on the way out? To be honest, probably. But at the same time it was the right move to let him go in terms of the team this year, and we are a better team without him and with Thome.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Is it possible for the Frank fans to realize he was let go because we have a DH that's a lot better than Frank, who is a huge injury risk and as it is right now, isn't hitting despite being on the field?

Did Frank get a raw deal from Kenny on the way out? To be honest, probably.  But at the same time it was the right move to let him go in terms of the team this year, and we are a better team without him and with Thome.

Read the post above. I think we're all fine with Thome, but what's the reasoning for s***ting on Frank at every opportunity? What's the need?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
Read the post above. I think we're all fine with Thome, but what's the reasoning for s***ting on Frank at every opportunity? What's the need?

I'm not s***ting on him at all, he's BY FAR the best player in the history of our franchise and while we had him, I was one of the big time Frank defenders. But at the same time, people talk like we made a huge mistake letting him go, which I really don't understand at all.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)

Did Frank get a raw deal from Kenny on the way out? To be honest, probably.  But at the same time it was the right move to let him go in terms of the team this year, and we are a better team without him and with Thome.

Wanna point me out where someone was comparing Frank to JT?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Nobody was, but everybody seems to think we made a mistake letting Frank go, which there is no evidence to prove is fact, or anywhere close to it.

I don't even think people are even saying it was a mistake. Frank's always going to be my favorite player, and I realize we're better off without him now.

We're just correcting some unnecessary and false acquisitions. It serves no purpose to continue bashing for Frank for no reason.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Nobody was, but everybody seems to think we made a mistake letting Frank go, which there is no evidence to prove is fact, or anywhere close to it.

Not one person in this thread said it was a mistake to let Frank go. You basically tried to start an argument up for no reason. There aren't many(there's a few) who think letting Frank wasn't the right move and that wasn't even being discussed in here. Not every thread about Frank has to turn into a fight.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:52 AM)

Are you going to prove this -- that "everybody" said it was a mistake to let Frank go -- or are you just going to keep on making these same lame-ass generalizations?

Well if it's not an issue we let Frank go, why must a few of the Frank fans come into a thread such as this and make snide remarks about KW and how Frank is a clubhouse cancer? And then after I wonder why such things need to be said, all of a sudden I'm starting an argument? Ok.....whatever you guys say.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Well if it's not an issue we let Frank go, why must a few of the Frank fans come into a thread such as this and make snide remarks about KW and how Frank is a clubhouse cancer?  And then after I wonder why such things need to be said, all of a sudden I'm starting an argument?  Ok.....whatever you guys say.

Apparently the article is yellow journalism if KW is a saint and an honest man. I mean Frank's a clubhouse cancer and a horrible teammate, remember?

All our posts were tongue-in-cheek, and then you came in to just s*** on Frank and bring up Thome. None of that was really necessary. Frank and Thome are not peanut-butter and jelly (lame, I know). They both don't need to be brought up everytime the other is mentioned.