Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

So once again the World Cup comes around and our press go mad.

Apparently anything short of us winning the thing and the whole team might as well give up football and get day jobs. We are going into the competition with a manager on his way out, his second in command takes his job after the final whistle and our squad contains only three forwards. One just back from injury, one currently with his foot in a pot, broken metatarsal and one who is 17 years old and never even played for his clubs first team never mind England.

That been said, I reckon we're good enough for the semi finals and then who knows? Just no penalties please!

Are you guys putting out a team this year?

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rooney AND Owen could both get fit, then yeah England could actually win it.

But my tip is Argentina. Quiet build up, everyone thinks Brazil is the favorite, but the Argentinians have a lot of quality in their side.

Aussies beat Greece 1-0 last night, so a good warm up though, certainly better than the Yanks (although their FIFA ranking will probably be top 4 now). :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)

But my tip is Argentina. Quiet build up, everyone thinks Brazil is the favorite, but the Argentinians have a lot of quality in their side.

A lot of teams are capable of winning it, but I don't see anyone but Brazil or Germany winning. I know that's rather boring, but the last 3 World Cups have gone to Brazil and a host. Brazil lost to host France in the final in 98. I don't know how they can be beat if it's not by a strong, hosting Germany.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)

Aussies beat Greece 1-0 last night, so a good warm up though, certainly better than the Yanks (although their FIFA ranking will probably be top 4 now). :P

Oh My God! USA are at number 5! How can that be right?

1 Brazil

2 Czech Republic

3 The Netherlands

4 Mexico

5 USA

5 Spain

7 Portugal

8 France

9 Argentina

10 England

11 Nigeria

11 Denmark

13 Italy

14 Turkey

15 Cameroon

16 Sweden

17 Egypt

18 Japan

19 Germany

20 Greece

They're above France, Italy, Spain.............everyone! Hell you fella's are almost favourites and we're the underdogs.

I agree, aside from my heart wanting England, Argentina are my choice to win as long as they can all get on with each other and enough referees look the wriong way.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2006 -> 04:52 AM)
I haven't ben prepping for the World Cup as much as I would have liked to.

What is Rooney doing these days? Will he play? Still hurt?

He had a scan today and looks to be on track to play after the group games. Although he will need a further scan durin the group rounds.

After watching a lack luster effort against Morroco, and our latest friendlies I am a bit concerned on the group of players that Bruce has selected.

Eddie Pope is still in the starting 11. Even though he is a tad slow, and gets bad reads on D. Bruce loves his DC United people.

Claudio Reyna is an injury waiting to happen and the same can be said for John O'Brien.

Josh Wolf has no creativity and doesnt have the speed he had a few years ago to outrun people on the wings.

The biggest problem with the US attack is the inablity of to develop a good passing midfielder. The only way we score goals is either on a counter attack straight sprint, or a set play with McBride or Johnson. This is going to be a huge problem in the WC.

Donovan being a b**** in Europe and running home to play in a weaker league has f***ed us on a big scale. Our top players should all be in Europe playing against the best. Yet some of them think sitting around and playing against 38 year old European players who are on a last glory tour is the way to go.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ May 26, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
NEDERLANDS in '06

Van Nistelrooy is a stud.

I love Cameroon as a darkhorse, Eto'o is one the more exciting players right now.

Cameroon

That's a helluva pick

:usa - It obviously didn't look like it the other night vs. Morocco, but this team is more talented and deeper than the 2002 team. Unfortunately all three group games for the US will be very tough (yes, Ghana too) and just making it out of this group will be a better accomplishment than making the quarters in '02.

I have no idea why Pope still gets used so much by Arena. And Reyna's loss (if it he is unable to play) would not be that big a deal. Donovan, O'Brien, Mastroeni and Dempsey are all quality center mids who either, one have already been on the stage before, or two, are perfectly ready for it.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ May 26, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Cameroon

That's a helluva pick

The most amazing thing about the Cameroon pick is that they didn't even qualify for the World Cup this year.

The Ivory Coast, Angola, Togo, Tunisia, and Ghana qualified from the African Region this year. :huh:

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 26, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
The most amazing thing about the Cameroon pick is that they didn't even qualify for the World Cup this year.

The Ivory Coast, Angola, Togo, Tunisia, and Ghana qualified from the African Region this year. :huh:

That's why I used green. :drink

I'm looking forward to seeing how Serbia faires in the Table of Death. I hav confidence in the team. Vidic, Krstajic, Dragutinovic, and Djordjevic make a strong defensive group and our strikers are young and talented. Milosevic and Kezman are the starting 2 with Ljubolja and Vucinic coming off the bench. Midfield is our least talented group but they have the experience. Stankovic and Djordjevic play well together.

I'm excited.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ May 26, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Oh My God! USA are at number 5! How can that be right?

1 Brazil

2 Czech Republic

3 The Netherlands

4 Mexico

5 USA

5 Spain

7 Portugal

8 France

9 Argentina

10 England

11 Nigeria

11 Denmark

13 Italy

14 Turkey

15 Cameroon

16 Sweden

17 Egypt

18 Japan

19 Germany

20 Greece

They're above France, Italy, Spain.............everyone! Hell you fella's are almost favourites and we're the underdogs.

I agree, aside from my heart wanting England, Argentina are my choice to win as long as they can all get on with each other and enough referees look the wriong way.

He had a scan today and looks to be on track to play after the group games. Although he will need a further scan durin the group rounds.

Those are a joke

QUOTE(UC76 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Four days till the opener. I'm stiff! Stiff, I tells ya!

I'm not expecting the U.S. to advance, so I've adopted Ivory Coast as my backup team.

If your going to adopt a cinderella, pick Trinidad & Tobago or Togo. Group C will be tough for CIV. Netherlands, Serbia, and Argentina to go through. It's the "Nightmare Group."

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:11 AM)
If I was going to pick a team to suprise it would be Ukraine.

In a pretty easy group, and they have a great striker in Andrei Shevchenko (just signed for Chelsea).

Yikes, didn't know about that signing. Chelsea is getting pretty ridiculous roster-wise after adding him and Ballack. Hurts my adopted club team too. :angry:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:11 AM)
If I was going to pick a team to suprise it would be Ukraine.

In a pretty easy group, and they have a great striker in Andrei Shevchenko (just signed for Chelsea).

Holy schnikes! Didn't know he signed with Chelsea. Ballack, I knew about. WOW! They might as well just sign every great striker in the world. What are they going to do with Shevchenko, Crespo, Drogba, and Gudjohnson? Might as well run a 4-2-4.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
Wait until you guys see Peter Crouch's "Robot" dance. Ridiculous.

Once of the funniest celebrations you'll ever see for a goal.

Hopefully he'll bring it back out if he scores again. :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
Once of the funniest celebrations you'll ever see for a goal.

Hopefully he'll bring it back out if he scores again. :D

He has to score first. Personally, I look forward to all the African countries to score and do gymnastics on the pitch. :P Except the Ivory Coast of course.