Scot Shields

Ndgt10

How about we swing Garland and a prospect or two to the Angels for this guy? The halos are not quite setting the world on fire right now.

I would love to have shields in this bullpen.

Garland has a no trade clause for this season. There's a reason why he included it in his new contract, he's not going anywhere this season.

Also, why would the Angels trade their stud reliever to the Sox for an average starting pitcher whom is currently struggling while making $10M a year? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Garland has a no trade clause for this season. There's a reason why he included it in his new contract, he's not going anywhere this season.

Also, why would the Angels trade their stud reliever to the Sox for an average starting pitcher whom is currently struggling while making $10M a year? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I was under the impression that Garland wanted to play on the west coast. Couldn't he waive his no-trade clause to go to a team like the angels?

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ May 26, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
I was under the impression that Garland wanted to play on the west coast. Couldn't he waive his no-trade clause to go to a team like the angels?

Theoritically, he could, but Kalapse is right: Garland got a no-trade clause because he wanted to be in Chicago.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 26, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Theoritically, he could, but Kalapse is right: Garland got a no-trade clause because he wanted to be in Chicago.

And to add to that, why would he want to leave the 2nd best team in baseaball to play for a team who is "not setting the world on fire" in the weakest division in the AL?

And to add to that, why would he want to leave the 2nd best team in baseaball to play for a team who is "not setting the world on fire" in the weakest division in the AL?

I really do love me some Mike Gonzalez though, oh what I would give to see him in the Sox' pen this year. The guy is a lefty and just makes hitters look absolutely silly. We need to pry him away from the lowly Pirates before another contender does.

Career 2.43 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, .209 BAA | 2.21 ERA this year as well.

gonzalez11rf.jpg

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 26, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
The Angels have Jered Weaver and Joe Saunders in AAA (in fact they just called up Weaver today).

Shields is hugely important for them. Can't see a deal here.

you can never have enough starting pitching. I can see a deal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
I really do love me some Mike Gonzalez though, oh what I would give to see him in the Sox' pen this year. The guy is a lefty and just makes hitters look absolutely silly. We need to pry him away from the lowly Pirates before another contender does.

gonzalez11rf.jpg

That's another idea. I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure he is close to the end of his arb. years.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)

It makes no sense, if wants to head out to the west coast so badly why would he include a no trade clause for the first year in his contract? Also, why would the Angels trade their best reliever (K-Rod aside) for an average starter who is sucking this season? Should the Sox trade Cotts for Josh Towers? You can never have enough pitching.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)

That's another idea. I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure he is close to the end of his arb. years.

Sadly, his final year of arbitration will be in '09 so the Pirates probably will not deal him anytime soon.

It makes no sense, if wants to head out to the west coast so badly why would he include a no trade clause for the first year in his contract?

so he can at least have a choice? To protect him from landing with a team like Tampa? Im sure he would like to be near his asian chick and family. It would definately pique his interest.

Also, why would the Angels trade their best reliever (K-Rod aside) for an average starter who is sucking this season?

Because the angels produce relivers like the Broncos produce running backs. They will just re-load at that position. I'm sure they have a high opinion of garland after that complete game in the alcs.

Should the Sox trade Cotts for Josh Towers? You can never have enough pitching.

Not a good comparison. We are lacking in bullpen depth. If bullpen was a strength, maybe it would be a possibilty.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
Because the angels produce relivers like the Broncos produce running backs. They will just re-load at that position. I'm sure they have a high opinion of garland after that complete game in the alcs.

Not a good comparison. We are lacking in bullpen depth. If bullpen was a strength, maybe it would be a possibilty.

Angels Pen:

Shields - .99 ERA

K-Rod - 3.98

Carrasco - 4.00

Gregg - 4.30

Donnelly - 4.35

Yan - 6.85

Romero - 8.31

Bulger - 16.20

Wow, that's pretty sick. Relief pitching is incredibly inconsistent from year to year unless your name is Shields or a few other guys. They lose Shields, their bullpen falls to one of the worst in the AL.

Also one start does not a good pitcher make. Just because Garland had a good start in the ALCS does not mean the Angels will destroy their pen to pick up a career 105 ERA+ (average is 100) starting pitcher.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Angels Pen:

Shields - .99 ERA

K-Rod - 3.98

Carrasco - 4.00

Gregg - 4.30

Donnelly - 4.35

Yan - 6.85

Romero - 8.31

Bulger - 16.20

And people here call our bullpen bad.

Can you imagine the Halos pen with Shields? :o

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Angels Pen:

Shields - .99 ERA

K-Rod - 3.98

Carrasco - 4.00

Gregg - 4.30

Donnelly - 4.35

Yan - 6.85

Romero - 8.31

Bulger - 16.20

Wow, that's pretty sick. Relief pitching is incredibly inconsistent from year to year unless your name is Shields or a few other guys. They lose Shields, their bullpen falls to one of the worst in the AL.

Also one start does not a good pitcher make. Just because Garland had a good start in the ALCS does not mean the Angels will destroy their pen to pick up a career 105 ERA+ (average is 100) starting pitcher.

point taken, they are usually up there with the elite pens. Those numbers are staggering.

Neither here nor there, but the big buzz this afternoon on ESPN Radio here was that Stoneman vetoed an off-season trade for Manny Ramirez that would have sent Scot Shields and Chone Figgins to Boston with two prospects.

I don't know if I would have done it then, but I'd probably do it now if I were GM.

QUOTE(Drew @ May 27, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Neither here nor there, but the big buzz this afternoon on ESPN Radio here was that Stoneman vetoed an off-season trade for Manny Ramirez that would have sent Scot Shields and Chone Figgins to Boston with two prospects.

I don't know if I would have done it then, but I'd probably do it now if I were GM.

No Stoneman made the right move there as far as I'm concerned.

Figgins and Shields for the money they make, are more valuable than Manny IMHO, even though he's putting up good numbers again for the Red Sox.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 27, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)

gonzalez11rf.jpg

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform :)

Why would anyone want to trade Garland? I thought we had Dr Don Cooper who makes any bad pitcher a cy young candidate. Apparently Coop hasn't noticed that Jon and Cliff suck this year so far. Once he notices I'm sure he'll get them turned around.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ May 26, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
How about we swing Garland and a prospect or two to the Angels for this guy? The halos are not quite setting the world on fire right now.

I would love to have shields in this bullpen.

I suggested this trade in a game thread 2 weeks ago.