GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
Hm. Not a good way to befriend the voters of Jones County, Iowa. I'm guessing that most people there are not millionaires.

Which makes it kind of tough to campaign on how important the estate tax is for farmers in Iowa.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Damen @ May 11, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Which makes it kind of tough to campaign on how important the estate tax is for farmers in Iowa.

Well, you hit on something important there, though. Estate is assets, millionaire is net worth. Farmers in Iowa are kind of in the worst possible spot with regards to the estate tax. On a net basis, I'm betting that most of them are not millionaires. But, if they farm on any significant scale, they may indeed have over a million in assets, which if transfered to their children (as I am sure still happens quite a bit), will get hit with the estate tax based on the value of those assets.

Rudy G had a chance to make some friends in Iowa if he was against a federal "death" tax, and apparently blew that chance.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
Hm. Not a good way to befriend the voters of Jones County, Iowa. I'm guessing that most people there are not millionaires.

That article was so lame. A weak attempt at a "hit job" on a presidential candidate, it won't effect the campaign at all.

Giuliani wants to repeal the death tax for everyone, so he is right on the issue. thats what matters, not what some Democrat writing for a newspaper decides is a "big controversy"

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Rudy G had a chance to make some friends in Iowa if he was against a federal "death" tax, and apparently blew that chance.

He is against the federal death tax.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
But, if they farm on any significant scale, they may indeed have over a million in assets, which if transfered to their children (as I am sure still happens quite a bit), will get hit with the estate tax based on the value of those assets.

Your numbers aren't quite correct.

Now this is just sad.

Tommy Thompson cited a dead hearing aid and an urgent need to use the bathroom in explaining on Saturday why he said at a GOP presidential debate that an employer should be allowed to fire a gay worker.
"I'm sorry, I only hate gay people when I have to pee."

I wonder, if Thompson keeps this up, if he can move into Gravel territory.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 11, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
He is against the federal death tax.

That was my point. He COULD have made friends on the matter, had he not blew it.

QUOTE(Damen @ May 11, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)

That's interesting, I didn't think the number was that low. Thanks for the info.

Thing is though, perception is reality in politics. A lot of people are against the estate tax because they think, maybe, they will be that rich. The fact that most of them won't be is not relevant to those people. That is why its talked about as much as it is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 13, 2007 -> 12:48 AM)
Now this is just sad.

"I'm sorry, I only hate gay people when I have to pee."

I wonder, if Thompson keeps this up, if he can move into Gravel territory.

:cheers That is one of the better excuses I've ever heard. Maybe he did have a dead hearing aid battery. Vintage Reagan :D

The Rudy Giuliani Presidential Committee announced today that Deborah VonSprecken from Olin, Iowa will serve as the Jones County Chair. As part of Mayor Giuliani’s Iowa leadership team Mrs. VonSprecken will spearhead the campaign’s organizational efforts in the county. The announcement followed a visit from Rudy Giuliani to the VonSprecken’s family farm in Olin where Mayor Giuliani apologized for the misunderstanding surrounding his last visit to the state. After spending nearly two hours visiting with Mr. and Mrs. VonSprecken, Deborah expressed her interest in supporting Mayor Giuliani and leading his efforts in Jones County.

“I am honored to have Deborah as part of my team in Iowa. As the hard-working owner of a family farm she understands the importance of cutting taxes and implementing fiscal discipline to grow the economy and increase opportunity,” said Mayor Rudy Giuliani. “Her support is tremendous and will be of great value to our efforts in Iowa.”

Link

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 15, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)

Later, Guiliani was heard exclaiming, "I hate political races., I just sat with those two for two hours. I waaaant to go back to Manhatten."

Personally, I think Duncan Hunter is the best candidate of the group. Sure, he has no chance, but he's a thoughtful, unwavering conservative who has mastered critical political issues facing the country. I disagree with his positions almost all the time, but I am sick of hearing primary voters say they are "not comfortable" by the candidates in the Republican field.

• 2 weeks later...

Link

Politician-turned-actor Fred Thompson has been coy with audiences as he flirts with a bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

In an interview with USA TODAY, however, the former Tennessee senator not only makes it clear that he plans to run, he describes how he aims to do it. He's planning an unconventional campaign using blogs, video posts and other Internet innovations to reach voters repelled by politics-as-usual in both parties.

"I can't remember exactly the point that I said, 'I'm going to do this,' " Thompson says, his 6-foot, 6-inch frame sprawled comfortably across a couch in a hotel suite. "But when I did, the thing that occurred to me: 'I'm going to tell people that I am thinking about it and see what kind of reaction I get to it.' "

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)

So, Thompson is being reported now as all but in the race. This definitely changes the playing field. I don't think he is a shoe-in, but he is probably the front runner at this point.

I for one am very interested to see what happens. I have actually been OK with Fred's politics in his time as a Senator, and I think he brings some great stuff to the table. Right now, he is my 2nd favorite among the GOP (behind McCain). But, he is very, very pro-Bush-Iraq. One wonders how that will go over.

What do people think of Fred's chances?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 31, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
So, Thompson is being reported now as all but in the race. This definitely changes the playing field. I don't think he is a shoe-in, but he is probably the front runner at this point.

I for one am very interested to see what happens. I have actually been OK with Fred's politics in his time as a Senator, and I think he brings some great stuff to the table. Right now, he is my 2nd favorite among the GOP (behind McCain). But, he is very, very pro-Bush-Iraq. One wonders how that will go over.

What do people think of Fred's chances?

the front runner? no way. he is a 3rd or 4th.

his chances are slim to none.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)

You are delusional. Like Edwards, avoiding taking a real stand on anything is the smartest political move he ever made. He has avoided having to explain a tough vote for years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
You are delusional.

honestly, i don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. he won't win just because he doesn't vote in the Senate, if that was the case McCain would be cleaning up in the polls. *zing*

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)

Really? As of June 1st, just as he was hinting at running, he is already 3rd, and he hasn't even announced or started getting around yet. I'd say he is among the front-runners, and if he announces and starts promoting, he'll quickly go up from there. I'd say right now he has the most momentum of any of the candidates in either party, and his spike is likely to put him on top at some point.

But, as Rex points out, he may turn out to be a quick jump and quick fade.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
Really? As of June 1st, just as he was hinting at running, he is already 3rd, and he hasn't even announced or started getting around yet. I'd say he is among the front-runners, and if he announces and starts promoting, he'll quickly go up from there. I'd say right now he has the most momentum of any of the candidates in either party, and his spike is likely to put him on top at some point.

But, as Rex points out, he may turn out to be a quick jump and quick fade.

yea, i might be wrong, it has happened before. but i would be willing to bet he doesn't get the nomination, or even come close.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
yea, i might be wrong, it has happened before. but i would be willing to bet he doesn't get the nomination, or even come close.

I think he is going to make it very interesting. Especially with the current front-runner being so weak.

I mean, seriously - Giuliani??? He is almost everything the far right hates in a candidate. He just won't play well to that crowd. And yet, he's apparently the best current option.

I still think Romney will end up with the nod, especially if Thompson doesn't run or exits early.