Hawk And Stone

JohnCangelosi

First of all, I have always thought that Hawk doesn't respect DJ. You can just feel it.

Nevertheless, you can hear the difference in Hawk's voice where he respects the insights his partner has, and that clearly is the case with Stone. It reminds me of the Hawk/Drysdale days back in the 80s when I was a kid.

Personally I say we don't renew Singleton and put DJ with Farmer and hire Stone if possible. The last two games have been extremely fun to watch them work together and things have flowed incredibly well between the both of them.

Unlike some in this forum I think Hawk is amongst the best. I live out of the country so I watch all games on MLB.TV and I see what the other teams have...very few are as good as Hawk if any.

Interested to hear what others have thought about the last two games???

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was up to me, I'd have all three, Stone, Hawk, and DJ work the TV booth. DJ as the color man with his occasional jokes and a little baseball insight. Hawk with his calls and story time of ball back in the day. And Stone as the smart one. Plus, this way, when Hawk disappears, we don't have to listen to DJ banter about nothing just to fill the air.

You can hear the difference in Hawk's voice. I love the pair. Stoney is so insightful. But DJ isn't going anywhere.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...tone09.article)

Chicago dream team getting rave reviews

TERRIFIC TANDEM | Hawk, Stone form smooth partnership in booth

Hawk Harrelson's phone was ringing off the hook Wednesday after Steve Stone joined him in the White Sox television booth for the first of six broadcasts Tuesday evening.

Apparently, a lot of viewers think they make a great team. This doesn't surprise Harrelson, who felt chemistry with his new partner.

''We have a lot in common, and he's a consummate pro,'' Harrelson said Wednesday.

''He knows the ins and outs and the timing that has to be there. Our timing was terrific.''

Hawk and Stoney. Has a nice ring, doesn't it?

Now don't go getting any crazy ideas, Harrelson warned. Darrin Jackson, whose wife gave birth Tuesday in Arizona, is merely taking some family-leave time. Jackson is not destined to become Wally Pipp to Stone's Lou Gehrig.

''I love D.J.; we've been together eight years,'' Harrelson said. ''He's my partner. I'm going to enjoy this week with Steve, but I have a ball with D.J., too. It's just a little different broadcast with D.J. than with Steve.''

Stone, the former Cubs announcer, also was quick to point out that this gig is temporary.

''I'm simply warming D.J.'s chair, nothing more,'' he said. ''They are partners; it is their booth. I'm just a six-day guest, and I will enjoy every minute of it.''

That said, Stone and Harrelson -- who recall working together only once before, during a Sox-Cubs spring exhibition many years ago -- enjoyed an undeniable on-air chemistry. Some fans took their observations to the White Sox Interactive Forum.

''They sounded amazing last night,'' wrote soxfan1983. ''Get rid of D.J. and sign Stoney long term!!!''

Other commentators were more diplomatic, noting that Stone and Harrelson sounded smooth together, that Harrelson sounded more animated than he usually does and that Stone contributed the insight he's known for.

Stone thanked Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, Harrelson and the organization for calling on him to fill in for Jackson.

''I really enjoyed working with Hawk,'' Stone said. ''He was very gracious. It felt like we'd worked together a lot before. We really meshed. It was very conversational, and that's a good thing for the viewer.

''I enjoy conversational play-by-play, and you need a little more of that and a little imagination when your team is not right in the race. The Sox are [more than 10] games out of first place, and as many years as I was with the Cubs, I spent a great deal of time describing teams that were probably not getting into the postseason. You have to learn to fill the void in non-critical situations.''

Stone, who left the Cubs' booth after a tumultuous 2004 season, wouldn't speculate about what lies ahead for him.

''I'll say this with conviction: Chicago is going to be the place where I spend my summers, hopefully for a very long time,'' he said. ''Even though I haven't worked for the Cubs since 2004, I keep finding my way back to Chicago. I love it here. I love both teams.''

Except I highly doubt that Stone would even accept the job if it were offered to him, I really don't think he wants to be a full time broadcaster again, especially along side Hawk. He has a pretty sweet gig right now relaxing on his property in Arizona calling into the Score a couple times a week, maybe doing an ESPN broadcast every now and then pulling in checks from both. If anything he'll take a front office job somewhere he's not going back to the booth.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
lock it up baby, i love it

Hawk has really tired me out paired with DJ. Dj just seems to repeat hawkisms and not add much to the conversation. Stone appears to have done more homework on this team and its players than DJ has done in the past several seasons. I hope whoever is making the decisions is listening to the improved broadcast.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Stone appears to have done more homework on this team and its players than DJ

Watching last night, I think the great chemistry was heavily influenced by Stone's preparedness. I never really watch the Cubs or NL so Stone's insight in those games past was somewhat lost on me. However, his knowledge of the White Sox and the AL was impressive and made for an enjoyable viewing AND listening experience.

I really have grown tired of Hawk over recent years, in particular when he takes his frequent trips down memory lane. However, when he has a guy next to him with knowledge in the here and now, the dialogue is downright enjoyable and enlightening. I sometimes suspect those trips down memory lane helps fill the void of knowledge and preparedness that a color man should provide, but DJ lacks. I could take Hawk and Stone for years to come.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
Watching last night, I think the great chemistry was heavily influenced by Stone's preparedness. I never really watch the Cubs or NL so Stone's insight in those games past was somewhat lost on me. However, his knowledge of the White Sox and the AL was impressive and made for an enjoyable viewing AND listening experience.

I really have grown tired of Hawk over recent years, in particular when he takes his frequent trips down memory lane. However, when he has a guy next to him with knowledge in the here and now, the dialogue is downright enjoyable and enlightening. I sometimes suspect those trips down memory lane helps fill the void of knowledge and preparedness that a color man should provide, but DJ lacks. I could take Hawk and Stone for years to come.

Stone keeps hawk in line for the most part. He pulls him away from some stories and relates it to the game at hand. I was impressed of his knowledge of our minor league system and seemed to have done his homework on alot of the direction of the team. I honestly think he should write out a report so DJ can study it before he comes back.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
First of all, I have always thought that Hawk doesn't respect DJ. You can just feel it.

Nevertheless, you can hear the difference in Hawk's voice where he respects the insights his partner has, and that clearly is the case with Stone. It reminds me of the Hawk/Drysdale days back in the 80s when I was a kid.

Personally I say we don't renew Singleton and put DJ with Farmer and hire Stone if possible. The last two games have been extremely fun to watch them work together and things have flowed incredibly well between the both of them.

Unlike some in this forum I think Hawk is amongst the best. I live out of the country so I watch all games on MLB.TV and I see what the other teams have...very few are as good as Hawk if any.

Interested to hear what others have thought about the last two games???

I couldn't agree more, especially the part about Hawk not respecting DJ. I get the same vibe. I can stand DJ, but I'd rather have him on the radio with Farmer and Stone in the booth with Hawk as well.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:01 AM)
I think this pairing has been terrific. I don't know if Stoney will want the full-time gig, but if he does, I'd love to see a Hawk & Stoney booth for as long as they want to do it.

+1

Stoney's awesome and Hawk is almost irreplaceable.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Stone keeps hawk in line for the most part. He pulls him away from some stories and relates it to the game at hand.

I wonder what prepared Stoney to do such a good job keeping a crazy old coot with a short attention span in line. :P

After years next to Harry, shepherding Hawk through the broadcast must be a cakewalk.

im not so sure that hawk doesnt respect DJ, but to me it seems like hawk is just generally excited to talk baseball with someone more from his era (or at least closer to his era), so it almost sounds as if he gets a glitter in his eye when he talks to stone. i dont dislike DJ at all, but stone is a good announcer....the only knock i have against stone is that he analyzes too much and tends to talk alot....completely the opposite of hawk who alot of times likes to let the game speak for itself...

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
im not so sure that hawk doesnt respect DJ, but to me it seems like hawk is just generally excited to talk baseball with someone more from his era (or at least closer to his era), so it almost sounds as if he gets a glitter in his eye when he talks to stone. i dont dislike DJ at all, but stone is a good announcer....the only knock i have against stone is that he analyzes too much and tends to talk alot....completely the opposite of hawk who alot of times likes to let the game speak for itself...

Yeah, when the White Sox are losing, when he shuts up except to scream STRETCH! on every flyball and subsequently go, "DAGGUMIT!"

Seriously, isn't that his MO when we're losing?

Toss in criticism of the umpires when (not)appropriate.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Yeah, when the White Sox are losing, when he shuts up except to scream STRETCH! on every flyball and subsequently go, "DAGGUMIT!"

Seriously, isn't that his MO when we're losing?

Toss in criticism of the umpires when (not)appropriate.

Lol thats why i like hawk, because he expresses my feelings!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Yeah, I don't think there are any replacements out there who'll shriek DAGGUMIT!!!!! when things are going wrong.

No, I was referring to his place in Sox history. Those of us who are old enough still remember him calling games (with Drysdale) back in the ealry/mid '80s. As good as Hawk may or may not be, watching a Sox game wouldn't be the same without him.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
No, I was referring to his place in Sox history. Those of us who are old enough still remember him calling games (with Drysdale) back in the ealry/mid '80s. As good as Hawk may or may not be, watching a Sox game wouldn't be the same without him.

One thing's for sure, it would be a more enjoyable listen.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
One thing's for sure, it would be a more enjoyable listen.

You might not be saying that if you had to listen to the Mariners' or Royals' crew. There are A LOT of MLB play-by-play guys who make Hawk sound like Vin Scully.