Hawk And Stone

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
You might not be saying that if you had to listen to the Mariners' or Royals' crew. There are A LOT of MLB play-by-play guys who make Hawk sound like Vin Scully.

I listen to both on a regular basis (M's for King Felix and the Royals for AL Central opponents) and both crews are insanely boring but they don't make me appreciate Hawk anymore. If Hawk were replaced with DJ and Stone took over the color duties I'd enjoy it a whole hell of a lot more. Just because some of the smaller markets have terrible announcers doesn't mean I want to listen to Hawk. Of course where would I go to here stories of random no name '60's Red Sox utility men, Carl Yastrzemski's greatness and Ty Cobb's penmanship?

I find myself muting the TV about 8-10 times a game now at least with some stale, generic announcer I could listen to the entire game with cringing, rolling my eyes and vomiting all at the same time.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
I listen to both on a regular basis (M's for King Felix and the Royals for AL Central opponents) and both crews are insanely boring but they don't make me appreciate Hawk anymore. If Hawk were replaced with DJ and Stone took over the color duties I'd enjoy it a whole hell of a lot more. Just because some of the smaller markets have terrible announcers doesn't mean I want to listen to Hawk. Of course where would I go to here stories of random no name '60's Red Sox utility men, Carl Yastrzemski's greatness and Ty Cobb's penmanship?

I find myself muting the TV about 8-10 times a game now at least with some stale, generic announcer I could listen to the entire game with cringing, rolling my eyes and vomiting all at the same time.

Sucks for you.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't know who they all are, but the Twins' radio guys are very, very good. I think maybe Blyleven is among them?

Anyway, how long is Stoney in there? I get back home tonight, I'd like to listen sometime this weekend to the two of them to see how they are.

4 more games for Stoney.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)

I've come to realize there are very few things you like about this team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
I listen to both on a regular basis (M's for King Felix and the Royals for AL Central opponents) and both crews are insanely boring but they don't make me appreciate Hawk anymore. If Hawk were replaced with DJ and Stone took over the color duties I'd enjoy it a whole hell of a lot more. Just because some of the smaller markets have terrible announcers doesn't mean I want to listen to Hawk.

My point was that the grass is not greener on the other side, not that Hawk is a super-awesome Hall of Fame announcer.

The small markets aren't the only ones with bad people. Try getting through an Angels telecast without wanting to shoot Rex Huddler. Or the color guy for the Red Sox and his obnoxious Boston accent.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't know who they all are, but the Twins' radio guys are very, very good. I think maybe Blyleven is among them?

I think that Blyleven does color on TV, but I could be wrong about that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)

Anyway, how long is Stoney in there? I get back home tonight, I'd like to listen sometime this weekend to the two of them to see how they are.

The Twins announcers are amazing.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
The Twins announcers are amazing.

Milo Hamilton (Astros) is also one of the best play-by-play guys in the business. I wish that the Sox could steal him and move Farmer back to color.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Apparently I'm alone in thinking that DJ is a solid color man. It's great having Stoney in the booth, but I really would be kind of disappointed if DJ were ever let go. He really does know a lot about the game, especially the strategy side.

I don't think that DJ's that bad. But I'd drop him in a second of we could get Stoney on a permanent basis.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
I've come to realize there are very few things you like about this team.

This is quite far from the truth.

Things I dislike: Hawk, Podsednik, Erstad, Owens (as a starter), Bukvich, Contreras' $20M contract, Uribe (at times, I probably like him more than anyone else on the board, that's right I just admitted to liking Juan Uribe I demand bonus points for admitting it), AJ's lack of basehits to left field, Ed Farmer, Don Cooper's changing personality since 2005, Greg Walker, Joe Crede's back, Toby Hall's right arm, the PFB, the way this team's OF situation was handled during the winter, Nick Masset, Joan Cusak, the organization's complete and utter lack of quality position prospects, Joey Cora as a bench coach (terrible fit), the in-game managing of Ozzie Guillen (the benching of Danny Richar against tough veteran lefties is really starting to get to me) and Andy Gonzalez. I think that's it.

Things I love about this Sox team: Danny Richar, Josh Fields, JIM THOME, Paul Konerko, Javier Vazquez, John Danks, Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, the possibility of Gavin Floyd becoming a major league starter, Pablo Ozuna (as a bench player), Jermaine Dye, Jermaine Dye's high socks, AJ Pierzynski, AJ's attitidude, BOONE f***ING LOGAN (love that guy), Bobby Jenks (though I'm still in favor of trading him for a king's ransom), Ehren Wasserman (as a ROOGY), the pitching prospects currently at B-Ham (Gio and Egbert are sexy as all hell), DLS, the Cell, Don Cooper, Chris Singleton and Darrin Jackson's random ass comments that make no sense at all, Jerry Reinsdorf, all 3 jerseys (especially the alternate black), the S-O-X logo, Kenny Williams (I tend to defend the guy for whatever reason), the Chicago script, the smiling ghost of Man Soo Lee, CSN's away game HD broadcasts, Luis Terrero's defensive abilities, Matt Thornton, Mike MacDougal's stuff (only when AJ catches him though, with Hall behind the plate opponent's OPS against nearly triples), the possibility of Andy Sisco figuring it out and becoming a big league pitcher again, the pitching depth this organization has accumulated, Harold's silence, Razor Shines, Razor Shines' mustache, Jim Thome's clutch hitting, the possibility of signing Aaron Rowand to a well below market value contract (anything more than $7m [TOPS!] a year would suck), the selection of Nevin Griffin in the 2nd round of this year's draft, somehow signing Kenny Gilbert (very nice indeed), the organizations apparent willingness to throw more money at later round draft picks that are tough signs and Chris Carter's power potential.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Apparently I'm alone in thinking that DJ is a solid color man. It's great having Stoney in the booth, but I really would be kind of disappointed if DJ were ever let go. He really does know a lot about the game, especially the strategy side.

I love DJ.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
My point was that the grass is not greener on the other side, not that Hawk is a super-awesome Hall of Fame announcer.

The small markets aren't the only ones with bad people. Try getting through an Angels telecast without wanting to shoot Rex Huddler. Or the color guy for the Red Sox and his obnoxious Boston accent.

I think that Blyleven does color on TV, but I could be wrong about that.

See, you don't like the Boston guys because of their Boston accents yet they're pretty well liked in the New England area and considered pretty decent announcers. I doubt you'd ever hear them here in Chicago so that's not really a fair quip.

The D-Rays and Marlins probably have the worst TV guys in the game. So bad.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)

Things I love about this Sox team: Danny Richar, Josh Fields, JIM THOME, Paul Konerko, Javier Vazquez, John Danks, Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, the possibility of Gavin Floyd becoming a major league starter, Pablo Ozuna (as a bench player), Jermaine Dye, Jermaine Dye's high socks, AJ Pierzynski, AJ's attitidude, BOONE f***ING LOGAN (love that guy), Bobby Jenks (though I'm still in favor of trading him for a king's ransom), Ehren Wasserman (as a ROOGY), the pitching prospects currently at B-Ham (Gio and Egbert are sexy as all hell), DLS, the Cell, Don Cooper, Chris Singleton and Darrin Jackson's random ass comments that make no sense at all, Jerry Reinsdorf, all 3 jerseys (especially the alternate black), the S-O-X logo, Kenny Williams (I tend to defend the guy for whatever reason), the Chicago script, the smiling ghost of Man Soo Lee, CSN's away game HD broadcasts, Luis Terrero's defensive abilities, Matt Thornton, Mike MacDougal's stuff (only when AJ catches him though, with Hall behind the plate opponent's OPS against nearly triples), the possibility of Andy Sisco figuring it out and becoming a big league pitcher again, the pitching depth this organization has accumulated, Harold's silence, Razor Shines, Razor Shines' mustache, Jim Thome's clutch hitting, the possibility of signing Aaron Rowand to a well below market value contract (anything more than $7m [TOPS!] a year would suck), the selection of Nevin Griffin in the 2nd round of this year's draft, somehow signing Kenny Gilbert (very nice indeed), the organizations apparent willingness to throw more money at later round draft picks that are tough signs and Chris Carter's power potential.

Umm, 2 Kosher dogs with.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)

Things I dislike: Hawk, Podsednik, Erstad, Owens (as a starter), Bukvich, Contreras' $20M contract, Uribe (at times, I probably like him more than anyone else on the board, that's right I just admitted to liking Juan Uribe I demand bonus points for admitting it), AJ's lack of basehits to left field, Ed Farmer, Don Cooper's changing personality since 2005, Greg Walker, Joe Crede's back, Toby Hall's right arm, the PFB, the way this team's OF situation was handled during the winter, Nick Masset, Joan Cusak, the organization's complete and utter lack of quality position prospects, Joey Cora as a bench coach (terrible fit), the in-game managing of Ozzie Guillen (the benching of Danny Richar against tough veteran lefties is really starting to get to me) and Andy Gonzalez. I think that's it.

OK...I guess you can keep your Pride card! :)

Edited by Controlled Chaos

I'm FINALLY enjoying Sox broadcasts again...even if it is for only a week. I found myself genuinely listening to what Hawk and Stoney were saying instead of the latent blather DJ and Hawk usually have. If they can't lock up Stoney...I'd at least like Black Jack brought in. DJ just absolutely bores me to tears.

On a side note: did Hawk actually say "Duck Fart" last night...was that just me that heard that? I coulda swore that's what I heard.

Edited by Wanne

There are plenty of announcers that make Hawk look great. A#1 across town are the cubs announcers, those guys are some of the worst in the biz. listening to the Reds on the radio can put you to sleep in an instant, I also despise Farmer. I miss Rooney, I like Stoney, and there are plenty of other guys that get the job done. Im prob in the minority but I even like Gracey doing the AZ broadcast.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
Watching last night, I think the great chemistry was heavily influenced by Stone's preparedness. I never really watch the Cubs or NL so Stone's insight in those games past was somewhat lost on me. However, his knowledge of the White Sox and the AL was impressive and made for an enjoyable viewing AND listening experience.

I really have grown tired of Hawk over recent years, in particular when he takes his frequent trips down memory lane. However, when he has a guy next to him with knowledge in the here and now, the dialogue is downright enjoyable and enlightening. I sometimes suspect those trips down memory lane helps fill the void of knowledge and preparedness that a color man should provide, but DJ lacks. I could take Hawk and Stone for years to come.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Hawk is the PBP guy who also does 50% of the color work. DJ to me sounds disinterested most of the time and adds very little insite into the game. The television broadcasts with Stone remind me of the radio when Rooney was there. I think Singleton has vastly improved but Farmer's personality will stifle him. I think the chatter of old time baseball that Hawk puts out there is needed to fill the dead air left by DJ. As for Farmer and Hawk disrespecting the side kicks, I blame the sidekicks as much as the PBP guys especially DJ he's been there for 7 years. I think Stone can rid Hawk of some of the homer antics as again I think Hawk is forced to fill to much of the game and hence we hear about Sam McDowell, Catfish, and Sir Hinneybird.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
There are plenty of announcers that make Hawk look great. A#1 across town are the cubs announcers, those guys are some of the worst in the biz. listening to the Reds on the radio can put you to sleep in an instant, I also despise Farmer. I miss Rooney, I like Stoney, and there are plenty of other guys that get the job done. Im prob in the minority but I even like Gracey doing the AZ broadcast.

Grace is possibly the worst I've heard, I can't even watch Fox broadcasts that he does. I still can't believe he called the White Sox a "National League style ballclub."

Bob Brenley is excellent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Grace is possibly the worst I've heard, I can't even watch Fox broadcasts that he does. I still can't believe he called the White Sox a "National League style ballclub."

Bob Brenley is excellent.

i hate you. Brenley couldnt be much worse, unless he was named Len Kasper