Hawk And Stone

JohnCangelosi

A good section for this site would be Frequently Asked Questions or Frequently Stated Misconceptions. Not criticizing anyone here but a lot of these same questions come up on message boards. Rules, front office stuff, and so on. How do waivers work, how do options work, who actually employs the broadcasters, things like that.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
A good section for this site would be Frequently Asked Questions or Frequently Stated Misconceptions. Not criticizing anyone here but a lot of these same questions come up on message boards. Rules, front office stuff, and so on. How do waivers work, how do options work, who actually employs the broadcasters, things like that.

That's a good idea. We'll have to work on that.

Can anyone give me a better reason that DJ should go other than "it kinda seems like Hawk might not respect him"?

And I found it annoying when Steve Stone kept calling Javier Vazquez "Javy Lopez." I guess a lot of announcers have those hang-ups, though, like how Tim McCarver calls Bronson Arroyo "Brandon."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
They should bring in Vin Scully while they're at it. And if the Sox really wanted to get some good publicity going they should fire Mike Murphy and stick Rongey in that time slot 5 days a week, that would create quite the buzz.

I think they should bring back Jimmy Piersall and raise Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray from the dead.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Can anyone give me a better reason that DJ should go other than "it kinda seems like Hawk might not respect him"?

And I found it annoying when Steve Stone kept calling Javier Vazquez "Javy Lopez." I guess a lot of announcers have those hang-ups, though, like how Tim McCarver calls Bronson Arroyo "Brandon."

Brandon Podsednik

and i dunno, somewhere on The Dugout...I'm afraid to go there cuz the last 3-4 times I have, I've gotten a virus on my computer. Something about a baseball covered in Pujols's saliva.

Rooney is not coming back. Maybe if the Score and White Sox think the Sox fans miss Rooney so much, they will hire Wayne Hagin. Didn't they let him go many years ago and replace him with Farmer because he sounded too much like Rooney? The Score can hire him and everyone can pretend. I've always enjoyed listening to Stone, and could be wrong, but I really don't think he'd be interested in being a White Sox broadcaster at least for the long haul. A year or 2 tops. I think he's hoping either Brenly gets a job in a dugout or the new owners of the Cubs have a front office position for him.

The game was on ESPN down here, so I got to listen to Stoney tonight, and I gotta say, I was impressed.

He really had a good knowledge of the game and the players, so I'd like to see him there full time myself.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
I guess I was the only one who didn't care for Rooney. His voice wasn't pleasing to my ear.

Nope, you're not. I wasn't a Rooney guy either. Sounded like a guy who'd taken too many announcer classes. Farmer I like even less. Sounds like a guy who needs some announcer classes.

Eh, call me Goldilocks, I guess. (This one's toooo hot; this one's tooooo cold. But I bet the next Sox announcer will be juuuuust right. Probably that guy from Access Hollywood.)

Though I like the Stone-Hawk team, I think they got way out of hand with the Fields love last night. The guy made three different fielding mistakes, and they somehow managed to make two of them out to be "good plays". Then Hawk said that Fields reminded him of Harmon Killebrew. I mean, I'm excited to have Fields on this team, but let's control ourselves a bit here.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
Though I like the Stone-Hawk team, I think they got way out of hand with the Fields love last night. The guy made three different fielding mistakes, and they somehow managed to make two of them out to be "good plays". Then Hawk said that Fields reminded him of Harmon Killebrew. I mean, I'm excited to have Fields on this team, but let's control ourselves a bit here.

yeah and stone said we are seeing a superstar blossoming in his infancy stage....i dont think fields is headed for a superstar career....i think he will be a very good player...a jermaine dye type perhaps...but ithought they went a bit overboard too.....even stoney was inquisitive of hawk when hawk compared him to killebrew

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
yeah and stone said we are seeing a superstar blossoming in his infancy stage....i dont think fields is headed for a superstar career....i think he will be a very good player...a jermaine dye type perhaps...but ithought they went a bit overboard too.....even stoney was inquisitive of hawk when hawk compared him to killebrew

I would imagine that Stone tries to blend in with Hawk to the extent possible, as any good announcer (especially a guest) does. But when Hawk goes that far overboard, Stone will call him on it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Not only was John Rooney good, but he was so good, he made Ed Farmer "listenable." That is the best compliment I could think of.

Weren't they named/rated the best, or one of the best, radio broadcast teams in baseball in 2005?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Weren't they named/rated the best, or one of the best, radio broadcast teams in baseball in 2005?

Yes they were. Part of the ratings was length of time on the air, but they were an excellent team. Then again I think Rooney could make Harry Carry listenable after his work with Farmio.

I watched a good part of last night's (8/10) game. I think that Hawk and Stone make a good team. I really have nothing against DJ, but the chemistry between Hawk and Stone is better than between Hawk and DJ. Listening to them, I really felt like either one of them could do the play-by-play. When DJ's on, he doesn't seem comfortable doing the play-by-play...almost as if Hawk is staring at him the whole time.

Caught some of the game today. The pairing was excellent. The best part is, each one of them seems to compliment each other; they both provide some bit of knowledge and experience that the other doesn't have.

Damn I'd love to see this group together next year. Put DJ on the radio or something, but seriously, Steve Stone has been the best color man in baseball for years, and it shows.

I love DJ, but I watched the Sox last night (first time in awhile, I always seem to miss them when they're on WGN), and Stone is great with Hawk. As much as I think DJ is a good announcer, I think Stone and Hawk are a better pair than Hawk and DJ.