Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
That was going to happen. Idiot college kids are going to get liquored up and it was just bound to happen. It's obviously not right but a few bad apples(and every freakin fan base has them) shouldn't ruin it for everyone. Sorry, but if you're going to base an entire fan base because some drunk ass holes acted out of line then you should be doing the same for every fan base in the country.

I don't agree with the assumption that that was going to happen. Lots of times rivalries occur, but rarely do you ever see stuff thrown at the FAMILY of a player. I agree theyre bad apples, and I don't cast judgment on the entire Illinois fan base, but you don't assume the family of a player is going to be in physical danger by flying objects.

Edited by sircaffey

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
I have seen almost every Illinois game since Lon Krueger took over, but it'll be difficult for me to watch whenever Jamar Smith is on the floor next season.

IMO, that is a bit ridiculous. You're basically saying kids dont deserve a second chance. Before playing at UCONN, Caron Butler spent a few weeks in jail in high school. Now, he has turned himself into an all-star caliber nba player, a model citizen, and has helped his family out immeasureably in the years since. People make mistakes. I'm sure other people have been granted scholarships for non mainstream athletics or academics who had made a mistake in their past too.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't agree with the assumption that that was going to happen. Lots of times rivalries occur, but rarely do you ever see stuff thrown at the FAMILY of a player. I agree their bad apples, and I don't cast judgment on the entire Illinois fan base, but you don't assume the family of a player is going to be in physical danger by flying objects.

I don't really see the point of Gordon Sr. bringing his wife and family with and wearing all black. I usually agree that you can't assume crazy stuff like people throwing things would happen, but it was obvious for a while the crowd last night would have at least some people out of hand, so in this case, I think the Gordons would have been best staying home, their son will have plenty of games for them to go to the next 15 years where they won't have to worry about their own safety due to stupid, crazy college fans in a foul mood.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
IMO, that is a bit ridiculous. You're basically saying kids dont deserve a second chance. Before playing at UCONN, Caron Butler spent a few weeks in jail in high school. Now, he has turned himself into an all-star caliber nba player, a model citizen, and has helped his family out immeasureably in the years since. People make mistakes. I'm sure other people have been granted scholarships for non mainstream athletics or academics who had made a mistake in their past too.

Was he a convicted felon who nearly killed somebody else? (not to mention, that somebody else was his own teammate).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
I don't really see the point of Gordon Sr. bringing his wife and family with and wearing all black. I usually agree that you can't assume crazy stuff like people throwing things would happen, but it was obvious for a while the crowd last night would have at least some people out of hand, so in this case, I think the Gordons would have been best staying home, their son will have plenty of games for them to go to the next 15 years where they won't have to worry about their own safety due to stupid, crazy college fans in a foul mood.

Was he a convicted felon who nearly killed somebody else? (not to mention, that somebody else was his own teammate).

Perhaps, but I mean the same stuff was thrown at the IU fan section sitting down there. It wasn't just the Gordon family being hit with stuff.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Perhaps, but I mean the same stuff was thrown at the IU fan section sitting down there. It wasn't just the Gordon family being hit with stuff.

Oh well definitely, but I wonder if the stuff is even thrown in that direction if the Gordon's aren't there, and weren't saying in the paper they'd be there the day before the game.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Oh well definitely, but I wonder if the stuff is even thrown in that direction if the Gordon's aren't there, and weren't saying in the paper they'd be there the day before the game.

Beads were hitting the fans before Mrs. Gordon got hit with the cup of ice, so it probably was going to happen either way. The IU fans chanting back and wearing the Got Gordon? We do. T-shirts probably wasn't taken in too much jest for the drunk idiots that were throwing crap.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)

There were IU fans trying to instigate fights too, and had to be taken out by security(and I'm using message board hearsay here, which seems to be the new trend). Gordon Senior or at least his family should not have been there. However I doubt he could help himself being the attention whore that he seemingly is. And again, who cares anymore? It was a wild atmosphere and stuff is being blown way, way, way, way, way out of proportion. He chest bumped the kid! Oh the humanity!

It was one game and we'll all likely never see something quite like it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)

Maybe not, but being arrested 15 times before the age of 14 and having cocaine and an illegal weapon on you is pretty comparable.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)

I dont know. But after looking it up i found out that he was sent to juvie for 9 months for gun and cocaine possession in high school and afterwards was sent to an actual jail where he was for 6 months.

All i'm trying to say is people change. He certainly has. He had a hard time getting back into a high school but when he finally did he changed his life around. If people shyed due to his past, who knows if he ever would have chosen a better path to take his life down.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
There were IU fans trying to instigate fights too, and had to be taken out by security(and I'm using message board hearsay here, which seems to be the new trend). Gordon Senior or at least his family should not have been there. However I doubt he could help himself being the attention whore that he seemingly is. And again, who cares anymore? It was a wild atmosphere and stuff is being blown way, way, way, way, way out of proportion. He chest bumped the kid! Oh the humanity!

It was one game and we'll all likely never see something quite like it.

Let's not talk like it's the Gordon family's fault that this stuff happened. They didn't do anything wrong.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
Let's not talk like it's the Gordon family's fault that this stuff happened. They didn't do anything wrong.

They didnt do anything wrong but i mean come on, they knew what would likely happen and yet they still put themselves in that situation.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)

Lying to the national media about death threats is wrong IMO. Probably worse than getting a bead thrown at you. It's not like any of this was a surprise. They knew what they were doing by showing up.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Maybe not, but being arrested 15 times before the age of 14 and having cocaine and an illegal weapon on you is pretty comparable.

No, it's not. Driving drunk and leaving someone to die is actually much worse. It's like if he took that illegal weapon, fired it randomly and hit someone and then left that person to die.

I don't want to be hyperbolic, but I agree with whomever said that Weber and the Illinois program make Sampson look classy. Recruiting phone calls against NCAA rules are crap compared to what has happened at Illinois under Weber. The basketball program and the fans that pelted the Gordons and the IU fans with beads and ice and threatened them last night are an absolute embarrassment.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
No, it's not. Driving drunk and leaving someone to die is actually much worse. It's like if he took that illegal weapon, fired it randomly and hit someone and then left that person to die.

Which probably could have easily happened considering he was 14 years old.

Jamar Smith has absolutely no other record on him. By all other accounts outside of this situation, he has been a good person in his life. But while we are all on our high horses here, and I can't say this for sure, Weber seems like the type of guy to let him back on the team because he knew Jamar Smith well enough to know it was a terrible mistake to make. Keyword being mistake. That's at least the perception I get from Weber. He isn't the slimy type.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
I don't want to be hyperbolic, but I agree with whomever said that Weber and the Illinois program make Sampson look classy. Recruiting phone calls against NCAA rules are crap compared to what has happened at Illinois under Weber. The basketball program and the fans that pelted the Gordons and the IU fans with beads and ice and threatened them last night are an absolute embarrassment.

Whoops.

I'm sure Weber planted those people to throw those beads.

IU fans threatened UI fans last night as well, some even taken out by security. That's obviously Sampson's fault, right?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Lying to the national media about death threats is wrong IMO. Probably worse than getting a bead thrown at you. It's not like any of this was a surprise. They knew what they were doing by showing up.

I'm curious. I never heard that he lied about them. Link?

So do all of you who think Smith should have been kicked off the team not believe in second chances? You're all a bunch of hypocrites. I will promise you that all of you have been given 2nd chances in your life for messing up. Forget all of you for saying s*** like Smith should be kicked out of school. A 20-year-old kid made a huge mistake, but from what I've gathered he has been a model citizen since it happened. I guarantee you he'd be kicked off the team if so much as a peep is heard from him. He's going to end up doing good by sharing his incident with younger kids for years to come, and helping them stray from drunk driving.

I feel very strongly about this, and I can't stand seeing people post all this s*** about Smith like they've never done wrong in their life... Let those throw the first stone who have never sinned. Oh wait, that's none of you.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Which probably could have easily happened considering he was 14 years old.

Jamar Smith has absolutely no other record on him. By all other accounts outside of this situation, he has been a good person in his life. But while we are all on our high horses here, and I can't say this for sure, Weber seems like the type of guy to let him back on the team because he knew Jamar Smith well enough to know it was a terrible mistake to make. Keyword being mistake. That's at least the perception I get from Weber. He isn't the slimy type.

Whoops.

IU fans threatened UI fans last night as well, some even taken out by security. That's obviously Sampson's fault, right?

Pat Forde did mention that on the telecast last night, but this was while he was explaining how the UI fans were throwing stuff at the IU fan section.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
So do all of you who think Smith should have been kicked off the team not believe in second chances? You're all a bunch of hypocrites. I will promise you that all of you have been given 2nd chances in your life for messing up. Forget all of you for saying s*** like Smith should be kicked out of school. A 20-year-old kid made a huge mistake, but from what I've gathered he has been a model citizen since it happened. I guarantee you he'd be kicked off the team if so much as a peep is heard from him. He's going to end up doing good by sharing his incident with younger kids for years to come, and helping them stray from drunk driving.

I feel very strongly about this, and I can't stand seeing people post all this s*** about Smith like they've never done wrong in their life... Let those throw the first stone who have never sinned. Oh wait, that's none of you.

I'm not very familiar with this situation. Did Jamar Smith commit whatever felony while on the team or while being recruited?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Whoops.

I wasn't suggesting that. I was referring to the numerous(4? or more?) times that Illinois basketball players have been arrested while Weber has been there. Sorry if the writing wasn't clear

frankly i think something would have been wrong with illinois fans had they not chanted....its like guys like mariotti never went to college....the advantage of having the home court is that your fans get to say whatever they want....even if heaven for bid it should have a cuss word....as for throwing the beads...good god who cares.....beads and a cup of ice? oh no! heaven forbid! stuff like that happens even at tame college bball games...the only reason its making the papers is cuz of the whole gordon hatred...besides, if you are gonna go into a known hostile environment you gotta be ready to a little ribbing, especially if you are wearing opposing colors....when i was at vandy we heckled matt walsh so bad his mommy had to stand up for him and write a note to the SEC saying her son felt threatened...the result was that we were then on charged 25,000 bucks for storming the court after games...didnt stop anyone...but seriously, as a somewhat casual illinois fan i was pretty glad the students gave the arch enemy a hard time....

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
So do all of you who think Smith should have been kicked off the team not believe in second chances? You're all a bunch of hypocrites. I will promise you that all of you have been given 2nd chances in your life for messing up. Forget all of you for saying s*** like Smith should be kicked out of school.

I'd just like to point out those are two completely different things.

Chester Frazier, summed up perfectly today on ITH by PostmanE:

"Chester Frazier, I truly love you. When you decided to shove Eric Gordon in the pre-game handshake — a fair-play gesture supposedly above the frivolous hatreds people bring to sports — you officially confirmed your d-bag status for life. What’s worse, you’re not even the kind of d-bag one can take seriously, or get mad at. You’re the type of d-bag that’s just so silly and ridiculous that all one has to do about you is laugh. You’re the guy at the HPER who wants to fight everybody. Yeah, Chester. You’re that guy. I hope you enjoy yourself; you’ll never not be that guy for the rest of your tiny little life. Too bad about the ankle, though."

pwned.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 12:18 AM)
Chester Frazier, summed up perfectly today on ITH by PostmanE:

"Chester Frazier, I truly love you. When you decided to shove Eric Gordon in the pre-game handshake — a fair-play gesture supposedly above the frivolous hatreds people bring to sports — you officially confirmed your d-bag status for life. What’s worse, you’re not even the kind of d-bag one can take seriously, or get mad at. You’re the type of d-bag that’s just so silly and ridiculous that all one has to do about you is laugh. You’re the guy at the HPER who wants to fight everybody. Yeah, Chester. You’re that guy. I hope you enjoy yourself; you’ll never not be that guy for the rest of your tiny little life. Too bad about the ankle, though."

pwned.

At least make it funny and mention his little man syndrome.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)

No offense, but your wrong. I believe in second chances, but not for everybody, and certainly not everybody (in fact, hardly anybody) has been convicted of a felony. I'll be glad to throw stones, because my house is not made of glass in the sense that I have yet to be convicted of a felony, or any crime for that matter. But yeah, second chances are deserved, but there is a line and Jamar crossed the one where you even deserve a second chance.

Edited by knightni

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/m-ba.../020808aaa.html

Illinois Statement on Fan Behavior

From Illinois Director of Athletics Ron Guenther and Basketball Coach Bruce Weber

Feb. 8, 2008

Champaign, Ill. - "There was a great college basketball game played Thursday night between the University of Illinois and Indiana University, but the game has been somewhat diminished by inappropriate behavior by a number of fans in attendance. We value the enthusiastic support of the sellout crowds at the Assembly Hall, but above all we take very seriously the reputation of our basketball program and the University of Illinois. The profanity and behavior by a small segment of fans Thursday night is disappointing and intolerable, and for that we apologize to fans of both teams."

Although very surprised, I must say it's nice to see Guenther and Weber show some class and try and put the embarassment of last night behind them. I'd like to see Illini fans do the same, but I'm afraid very few will, and in fact many will become mad that any wrongdoing was admitted to by the school. What a shame.