Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree on the lack of big men, and Gordon. He's too out of control sometimes, he definitely needs another year of college ball, but I'm highly doubting he comes back.

I'm scared for our frontcourt next year. Hopefully Holman really develops, or the big man coming in, Pritchard, makes a quick impact.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
What does everyone see as a seed for Indiana right now? Lunardi has them at a 5 spot right now, seems a tad bit high. I'm thinking 6?

I'd go anywhere from 3-7 depending on how they do on the upcoming stretch. But I feel a 5-6 is about right.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Btw, I know the chances are extremely slim it happens, but I will go on record saying that Eric Gordon.....

needs another year of college. He's not ready to contribute in a big way in the NBA yet.

Just one man's opinion.

Agreed, but he's still a top 10 lock pick, and the odds say more than likely, almost for sure, he will go pro. But I think he needs another year too, he's proven at times this year to be a bit mentally weak, not a good thing to be saddled with heading into the league. Keep in mind though he's playing with a hairline fracture in his left wrist that Indiana won't admit exists, so that is hidering his play (he may be a bit mentally weak, but not at all physically).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
You didn't think you'd beat a bad team? I know it was the Illini's Super Bowl, but their still bad. The problem tonight is Indiana really isn't that great a team, their just a decent team with 2 great players taking advantage of a horrid league.

If the Illini played the way they do against Indiana, every game out, they certainly would be much better than their record shows. Illinois always plays up against Indiana. It's one of those throw the records out the window, match ups. You don't get a more hostile atmosphere than tonight. It's anything but easy to play in. Indiana actually played very well in the 2nd half, and so did Illinois. These weren't two bad teams hacking their way through the game. If UI doesn't get 35 pts or whatever he had, this game is a blow out. Illinois certainly played very well today. Nothing indicative of their record. And it wasn't anything IU could do about it. Illinois was just shooting lights out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Agreed, but he's still a top 10 lock pick, and the odds say more than likely, almost for sure, he will go pro. But I think he needs another year too, he's proven at times this year to be a bit mentally weak, not a good thing to be saddled with heading into the league. Keep in mind though he's playing with a hairline fracture in his left wrist that Indiana won't admit exists, so that is hidering his play (he may be a bit mentally weak, but not at all physically).

I don't think he's mentally weak. He's just doesn't have the highest basketball IQ. He still plays like this is high school where he can take it to the hole anytime he wants. His TO are way up because of it, and he take a bunch of bad shots. If he were to stay another year, there's not doubt he could be the top college player in the nation. A smarter, more under control Gordon would be scary good.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't think he's mentally weak. He's just doesn't have the highest basketball IQ. He still plays like this is high school where he can take it to the hole anytime he wants. His TO are way up because of it, and he take a bunch of bad shots. If he were to stay another year, there's not doubt he could be the top college player in the nation. A smarter, more under control Gordon would be scary good.

Ehh your probably right, it's just that so often he plays so smooth that when he screws up, it just looks like he's gotten lazy and thus, the mentally weak idea comes in.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)

I figured you for being smarter than this. IU CANNOT admit anything exists. Unless the Gordon's talk aobut the injury, you won't hear anything. Remember the law passed a few years ago to protect the privacy of student-athletes????

That's the 3rd or 4th time I have read someone make such a comment inferring IU was "hiding" the severity of the injury. All were from Illini fans, not sure what that says. But it would just be nice for some to be objective enough to know what is actually happening rather than taking every shot they can at IU. But if that makes you feel better.........

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
In 2-3 years Illinois will be a top 3 Big 10 team.

You cant win all the time, its just the nature of college sports.

Exactly. Glad to see there's a logical fan out there, even if he is a Wisconsin fan :P But seriously, Illinois is in a hell of a down year, but they'll be back on top in a couple years like you said. The future is bright, Illini fans. Don't be so upset.

Oh, and as for this being the "super bowl" for Illinois. I agree that it was for the fans b/c of the Gordon saga, but as for the players, I don't think they see it that way.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Exactly. Glad to see there's a logical fan out there, even if he is a Wisconsin fan :P But seriously, Illinois is in a hell of a down year, but they'll be back on top in a couple years like you said. The future is bright, Illini fans. Don't be so upset.

Oh, and as for this being the "super bowl" for Illinois. I agree that it was for the fans b/c of the Gordon saga, but as for the players, I don't think they see it that way.

I don't know. From Chester's pre-game chest bump to the tall whitey C saying the Gordon situation angered him to the Weber/Sampson hatred to the pushing and shoving, the Illinois players wanted this game baaaaaaaad. Not sure you can point to another game on the schedule that they would want more.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
In 2-3 years Illinois will be a top 3 Big 10 team.

I don't think that's a lock necessarily given Minnesota's progress and bright future, but I might be a bit bias in that regard :P (I get your point though, and agree)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
I figured you for being smarter than this. IU CANNOT admit anything exists. Unless the Gordon's talk aobut the injury, you won't hear anything. Remember the law passed a few years ago to protect the privacy of student-athletes????

That's the 3rd or 4th time I have read someone make such a comment inferring IU was "hiding" the severity of the injury. All were from Illini fans, not sure what that says. But it would just be nice for some to be objective enough to know what is actually happening rather than taking every shot they can at IU. But if that makes you feel better.........

Well I'm not BLAMING IU for hiding it, most teams hide injuries you can play through, it's just the nature of the beast. I just think Gordon will continue to struggle (by his standards, only 3-13 from the field tonight) and very few people will know why. And yes I know that law about injuries actually, and now that I think of it, I guess they couldn't tell anybody about Gordon's wrist even if they wanted to. I guess it's just I know most of the stuff that happens with Illinois and NIU athletics, so in that respect I forget about the law often times, lol.

As for Soxbadger, he is somewhat right. The problem is, a down year shouldn't mean you are just AWFUL like Illinois. If you have a down year or two and are a just over .500 overall and a couple games under .500 team in league play, and end up in the NIT, then I mean it happens. But to be as bad as Illinois this year can't happen, you have to at least pad your fall when it comes to bad years. I mean, they are going to go in the 11-21 range and be just god awful in the worst Big 10 I've seen in over a decade of watching it closely. That is not acceptable, especially when you played for the big prize only 3 years ago.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
Well I'm not BLAMING IU for hiding it, most teams hide injuries you can play through, it's just the nature of the beast. I just think Gordon will continue to struggle (by his standards, only 3-13 from the field tonight) and very few people will know why. And yes I know that law about injuries actually, and now that I think of it, I guess they couldn't tell anybody about Gordon's wrist even if they wanted to. I guess it's just I know most of the stuff that happens with Illinois and NIU athletics, so in that respect I forget about the law often times, lol.

As for Soxbadger, he is somewhat right. The problem is, a down year shouldn't mean you are just AWFUL like Illinois. If you have a down year or two and are a just over .500 overall and a couple games under .500 team in league play, and end up in the NIT, then I mean it happens. But to be as bad as Illinois this year can't happen, you have to at least pad your fall when it comes to bad years. I mean, they are going to go in the 12-21 range and be just god awful in the worst Big 10 I've seen in over a decade of watching it closely, that is not acceptable, especially when you played for the big prize only 3 years ago.

Why? Other than a couple weeks of practice, there is no difference between the NIT and no NIT. IF they are bad, they are bad, who cares about to what level. The future is already set regardless.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
Why? Other than a couple weeks of practice, there is no difference between the NIT and no NIT. IF they are bad, they are bad, who cares about to what level. The future is already set regardless.

Because 11-21 isn't a down year, it's a potential disasterous fall for an entire program. Illinois is VERY fortunate they have so many guys locked up in the next 2 classes, as nobody will jump ship since they know talent is coming with them. But to be this bad, and have no talent, and be awful on free throws, and recruit this badly for a span of 3 years........it's not acceptable. A down year is acceptable, but a terrible team in a terrible league that was caused by 3 straight years of incredibly bad recruiting (outside of Pruitt kind of) can't happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 01:04 AM)
LOL, there's a few crush member on II saying EGSR flicked off the Crush. That's gold.

Hey, those can be fun times. The Illini's defensive coordinator flicked off the student section at the IU-UI football game this year, it was priceless.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 11:29 PM)
Well if your looking for common ground I say we look to the West...

Sorry jimbo but I think we can all agree on wanting Kansas to lose?

Wow and i was speechless all night....Illanoy fans are f'in pathetic...did yall notice you lost the game?

Anyways, I would blame that trash bag Sampson for the Gordon situation. Now Illanoy can go back to fighting for a NIT birth.

nice to see Weber avoid shaking hands with the other team. Has a coach ever ruined a program worse than the screaming one!!!??

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Anyways, I would blame that trash bag Sampson for the Gordon situation. Now Illanoy can go back to fighting for a NIT birth.

illinois isn't fighting for anything other than the end of the season. there will be not postseason of any sort for this group, nor should there be.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
There's a decent article by Ford on the UI IU game on ESPN's website. Makes Illinois and their fans look pretty pathetic for the way they treated Gordon and his family. I think it's a little too easy on Weber -- not shaking Gordon's hand seems pretty classless.

Maybe, but Forde's article also didn't let the Indiana fans off the hook talking about when Sean May came back to Bloomington.

I see nothing wrong with what the fans did until they started throwing things at the Gordons and the Hoosier fans. That's overboard. But chanting? Come on...these guys hear worse on the playgrounds then "Liar" and "Cheater." In fact, they say worse to each other when talking smack.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
Maybe, but Forde's article also didn't let the Indiana fans off the hook talking about when Sean May came back to Bloomington.

I see nothing wrong with what the fans did until they started throwing things at the Gordons and the Hoosier fans. That's overboard. But chanting? Come on...these guys hear worse on the playgrounds then "Liar" and "Cheater." In fact, they say worse to each other when talking smack.

One reason that Forde's article is good is mentioning May -- it gives context to the story, unlike something that a Sun Times columnist might write.

The chanting is lame, but expected and pretty inconsequential. It was the throwing stuff, Tisdale and Frazier acting like they were on roids and Weber being a baby and refusing to shake hands that make Illinois look bad. Moreover, Gordon changed his mind about what University he wanted to go to. Big deal. He didn't make the Illinois basketball team bad -- he just didn't make it better by going to UI. To get that worked up about a guy deciding to go to school in Indiana is just silly (although unsurprising). If the UI students want to get upset about something, they should focus on the fact that state funding of UI is down around 20% of it's overall budget and is declining rapidly. Hello higher tuition....

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
One reason that Forde's article is good is mentioning May -- it gives context to the story, unlike something that a Sun Times columnist might write.

The chanting is lame, but expected and pretty inconsequential. It was the throwing stuff, Tisdale and Frazier acting like they were on roids and Weber being a baby and refusing to shake hands that make Illinois look bad. Moreover, Gordon changed his mind about what University he wanted to go to. Big deal. He didn't make the Illinois basketball team bad -- he just didn't make it better by going to UI. To get that worked up about a guy deciding to go to school in Indiana is just silly (although unsurprising). If the UI students want to get upset about something, they should focus on the fact that state funding of UI is down around 20% of it's overall budget and is declining rapidly. Hello higher tuition....

I think the issue is the lack of integrity of the whole recruiting process...on both sides, school and student-athlete. Nobody's clean in the recruiting process. Something needs to be done, hopefully not Congress!