Soxtalk's Biggest Loser Non Member Thread

SoxAce

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
join us in the member's thread ss2K... Lately I feel like when I am talking there is an echo. Everybody quit on me, I think.....

I haven't quit, I just haven't made any progress. I have excuses, but they're just that. I'm thinking about signing up for a half marathon in January to kickstart things.

I keep checking in on this thread, and it does seem that you are the only one following through completely. And it's really impressive. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
Lately I feel like when I am talking there is an echo. Everybody quit on me, I think.....

You are doing totally awesome, Rex! That is just fantastic and you should be proud of your hard work and determination.

I, on the other hand, have completely sucked a$$ since the beginning of May. I started seeing smaller and smaller losses each week despite really staying good with the diet. I know that's normal but it still depressed me so I started cheating a little here and there. Then I started cheating a little more. And then summer kicked in and I went on a 3 month long Tiki tropical cocktail kick – mai tais, rum runners, painkillers, rum barrels, and every other juice and sugar-laded, rum-filled libation imaginable. On the plus side, I can now make the best authentic mai tai in Florida (none of that syrupy-sweet grenadine and juice crap that most bars call a mai tai), and I have amassed a nice collection of Caribbean rums including a 15-year Demerara that is now my all time favorite sipper.

On the down side, my liver is now filing to enter the witness protection program, and I've gained back 8 stinking pounds. As fat as I was feeling, I swore I put the whole damn thing back on and then some, but I swore off the scale because i didn't want to know how much I was gaining back.

So, here I am, back at it and really wanting not to become a huge lardass again. My wife and I started a new, brutal death-march of a diet on Monday and I have been 100% good with it so far. A tall order, since it allows NO BEER or BOOZE for 11 days straight before you can have a little bit of a couple of cheat days before resetting the calendar and doing it again. Next Friday can't come fast enough. Unless you ask my liver, that is.

I'm totally embarrassed to have put on half of the weight I had lost. And I know the whole yo yo thing is not what I want to do the whole rest of my life (it sure was downhill after 30). But, here I am, giving it another go.

Totally looking forward to the cottage cheese and fruit salad I have lined up for lunch too, baby!

:P

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
You are doing totally awesome, Rex! That is just fantastic and you should be proud of your hard work and determination.

I, on the other hand, have completely sucked a$$ since the beginning of May. I started seeing smaller and smaller losses each week despite really staying good with the diet. I know that's normal but it still depressed me so I started cheating a little here and there. Then I started cheating a little more. And then summer kicked in and I went on a 3 month long Tiki tropical cocktail kick – mai tais, rum runners, painkillers, rum barrels, and every other juice and sugar-laded, rum-filled libation imaginable. On the plus side, I can now make the best authentic mai tai in Florida (none of that syrupy-sweet grenadine and juice crap that most bars call a mai tai), and I have amassed a nice collection of Caribbean rums including a 15-year Demerara that is now my all time favorite sipper.

On the down side, my liver is now filing to enter the witness protection program, and I've gained back 8 stinking pounds. As fat as I was feeling, I swore I put the whole damn thing back on and then some, but I swore off the scale because i didn't want to know how much I was gaining back.

So, here I am, back at it and really wanting not to become a huge lardass again. My wife and I started a new, brutal death-march of a diet on Monday and I have been 100% good with it so far. A tall order, since it allows NO BEER or BOOZE for 11 days straight before you can have a little bit of a couple of cheat days before resetting the calendar and doing it again. Next Friday can't come fast enough. Unless you ask my liver, that is.

I'm totally embarrassed to have put on half of the weight I had lost. And I know the whole yo yo thing is not what I want to do the whole rest of my life (it sure was downhill after 30). But, here I am, giving it another go.

Totally looking forward to the cottage cheese and fruit salad I have lined up for lunch too, baby!

:P

I don't want to come across like I am an expert, but be careful with the brutal diets. Those are the exact things that cause the yo yo because you will lose weight but them gain it back when you stop. The best thing to do is find foods to eat that you can put into your daily routine forever. Cheating is good, one or two meals a week. That should always be there. But try and develop habits you can live with long term so you don't keep bouncing up and down.

Good luck and join me back in the member's thread.

Also, the BL Show starts this week, so maybe that can help give you a little motivation.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't want to come across like I am an expert, but be careful with the brutal diets. Those are the exact things that cause the yo yo because you will lose weight but them gain it back when you stop. The best thing to do is find foods to eat that you can put into your daily routine forever. Cheating is good, one or two meals a week. That should always be there. But try and develop habits you can live with long term so you don't keep bouncing up and down.

Good luck and join me back in the member's thread.

Also, the BL Show starts this week, so maybe that can help give you a little motivation.

Point taken on the death march diets. And from where i'm sitting, RH, you ARE the resident expert on doing this for real. I can't say enough how impressive your dedication has been.

My hope is that I can death march myself down to close to my goal weight (which i probably set a little too low, honestly), and then figure out the healthy lifestyle diet that will allow me to maintain.

I did mean to put that last post in the members thread, but goofed and put it here instead. :lolhitting

Probably just as well, since I probably had to get voted back onto the island before posting there. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 05:28 AM)
Haha, I've completely forgotten about this this.

Reddy, from personal experience, it's impossible to gain weight correctly. That is, avoid unhealthy foods; concentrate entirely on high protein items such as chicken. Too expensive for a college student to keep up with. Especially if you're like me, and need to compensate for a high metabolism.

It was probably two months after my February post where I just thought, what the f***, and decided to continue working out -- but eat whatever I want to. And in large quantities. I had probably gained two/three pounds trying to gain weight the right way; how nutrionists suggest. I haven't eaten entirely junk food (still try to have some semblance of healthiness), but the results are more noticeable. Still gain muscle, but fat as well. Right now I'm about 175.

Even now, five pounds below my goal, I still look fairly skinny. I'm thinking of 190 now.

One year bump.

I currently weigh 195 pounds. Although, oddly enough, I still appear to be skinny. My body appears to divide weight perfectly, because I can swear if you put up the current Flash Tizzle with the one from last year the differences would hardly be noticeable. I still wear the same pants I wore last year, and this is with 20 pounds added on.

I still follow a meal plan consistent with the above post, which is essentially eating high protein/low fat items in addition to the occasional fat filled item. I've also made a habit to consume a lot of variety of Chunky soup. I just couldn't take eating any more chicken.