Sarah Palin

YASNY

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
At the end of the day I just hope 60 days is enough time to hammer on the fact that Obama clearly isn't fit to run this country. The problem is he's such a tremendous speaker that many Americans will ignore his record. Plus McCain isn't exactly someone that wows you so some people that are intelligent enough to recognize Obama's complete joke of accomplishments, policies, and voting record, will still vote for him because they at least like the guy (sadly that plays a huge part at the end of the day).

I think McCain makes judgment an issue that doesn't necessarily work in his favor. Especially when it comes to the Palin pick. He barely met the woman, then picks her because nobody else he really wanted would make conservatives in his party happy, and called her a "soulmate." They barely know each other. Although this may work within his own party, it won't work outside of it.

Because as they get to know Palin, they'll see that there's not a lot of substance behind the pick. He picked as a pander to women and his base. And it's already backfiring. If Palin shines tonight, there could be a different light on that tomorrow. But judging from the speech she gave Saturday, she sounds more like someone speaking at a Rotary meeting, not someone running for Vice President.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Obama clearly used the size of Iran as reasoning why they arent a threat. Alaska is, in fact, the largest state in the US.

Would you like me to find you the quote from Obama and a map?

Did you forget the green here? Read that quote in context. He was comparing the size of the threat of current-day Iran and cold-war Russia.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
It's Open Mic Day on MSNBC. WOW! (Some language here, so be careful)

The voices are Mike Murphy (Republican political consultant) and Peggy Noonan with a little Chuck Todd.

Church Todd: "Was she really the most qualified woman?"

Noonan: "no... I think they went for the political bulls*** about narratives". She added: "It's Over" for McCain.

This must somehow have been fabricated. I have heard that only the liberal media is deriding this pick.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I think McCain makes judgment an issue that doesn't necessarily work in his favor.

I'd still play that card if I were McCain. If Obama tries to use Pail as an example of poor judgement, he'll get hit with a barrage of Ayers and Wright ads.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Did you forget the green here? Read that quote in context. He was comparing the size of the threat of current-day Iran and cold-war Russia.

No, he said it was a smaller country than Russia and thats why it posed less of a threat. Are you trying to say he wasnt referencing the size of Iran at all?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
No, he said it was a smaller country than Russia and thats why it posed less of a threat.

Really? He stated that only due to its smaller land mass it was less of a threat than the Soviet Empire? The same Soviet Empire that had a stockpile of hundreds, if not thousands, of nuclear warheads aimed at the U.S.?

Interesting.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I'd still play that card if I were McCain. If Obama tries to use Pail as an example of poor judgement, he'll get hit with a barrage of Ayers and Wright ads.

You say that like it's a threat that would work. They've already fired out those ads. It's been done.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Really? He stated that only due to its smaller land mass it was less of a threat than the Soviet Empire? The same Soviet Empire that had a stockpile of hundreds, if not thousands, of nuclear warheads aimed at the U.S.?

Interesting.

Not only that but it was one of the reasons. Which is interesting because you tried to twist it into he was comparing the size of the threat completely and it had nothing to do with the actual size of the country, I guess you can spell hypocrisy.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)

The only thing is Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright aren't next in line to become the most powerful person in the world. Sarah Palin is.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Not only that but it was one of the reasons. Which is interesting because you tried to twist it into he was comparing the size of the threat completely and it had nothing to do with the actual size of the country, I guess you can spell hypocrisy.

Here's the original quote:

“Strong countries and strong Presidents talk to their adversaries. That’s what Kennedy did with Khrushchev. That’s what Reagan did with Gorbachev. That’s what Nixon did with Mao. I mean think about it. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela — these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don’t pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying we’re going to wipe you off the planet.”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
You say that like it's a threat that would work.

Given that Obama and McCain were statistically tied for much of the summer, it seems to have already worked.

My point was that, Palin or not, the Ayers and Wright issues give McCain the moral authority on the "judgement" issue.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

The voices are Mike Murphy (Republican political consultant) and Peggy Noonan with a little Chuck Todd.

Church Todd: "Was she really the most qualified woman?"

Noonan: "no... I think they went for the political bulls*** about narratives". She added: "It's Over" for McCain.

I tend to agree. This is backfiring, hardcore. But then, we'll see after tonight. She's going to have to hit not only a home run, but she's going to have to hit an 8 RBI grand slam, which I think it just about impossible, eh?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
I tend to agree. This is backfiring, hardcore. But then, we'll see after tonight. She's going to have to hit not only a home run, but she's going to have to hit an 8 RBI grand slam, which I think it just about impossible, eh?

She'll rally the base. but the fact that she cut lines praising Hillary from her stump speeches says a lot. She was gettign booed!

Frankly, she'll get a few "Clinton women". And the McCain campaign will trot them out to show how great Palin is. But, I'll be blunt, and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way.... these are the moderate women who voted for Hillary because she was a woman. They might like her for some things and McCain for another. Now that there is a woman with McCain, they think that's ok. Not that they are "mindless" voters who see a woman and vote. It might have just been the tipping point. It wont be a lot who go to McCain, but some. Hillary and BIll went a LONG way last week towards forcefully pushing Hillary's women to Obama. And it seems to have worked based on a recent poll. Like I said, it wont be a TON that flock, but if it's only a drip... it wont be enough.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
She'll rally the base. but the fact that she cut lines praising Hillary from her stump speeches says a lot. She was gettign booed!

Frankly, she'll get a few "Clinton women". And the McCain campaign will trot them out to show how great Palin is. But, I'll be blunt, and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way.... these are the moderate women who voted for Hillary because she was a woman. They might like her for some things and McCain for another. Now that there is a woman with McCain, they think that's ok. NOt that they are "mindless" voters who see a owman and vote. It might have just been the tipping point. It wont be a lot who go to McCain, but some. Hillary and BIll went a LONG way last week towards forcefully pushing Hillary's women to Obama. And it seems to have worked based on a recent poll. Like I said, it wont be a TON that flock, but if it's only a drip... it wont be enough.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that for every Hillary turned McCain supporter based on the Palin pick, you're going to get a half-hearted Hillary Democrat volunteering for Obama and getting back involved.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that for every Hillary turned McCain supporter based on the Palin pick, you're going to get a half-hearted Hillary Democrat volunteering for Obama and getting back involved.

There was a report out of Ohio on Sat or Sunday that a democratic office was getting an influx of women supporters who were CONSIDERING McCain, but where so turned off by his gimmick they will now work for Obama.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
There was a report out of Ohio on Sat or Sunday that a democratic office was getting an influx of women supporters who were CONSIDERING McCain, but where so turned off by his gimmick they will now work for Obama.

I guarantee you that was like two people.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

Here's the Full Transcript:

Chuck Todd: Mike Murphy, lots of free advice, we'll see if Steve Schmidt and the boys were watching. We'll find out on your blackberry. Tonight voters will get their chance to hear from Sarah Palin and she will get the chance to show voters she's the right woman for the job Up next, one man who's already convinced and he'll us why Gov. Jon Huntsman.

(cut away)

Peggy Noonan: Yeah.

Mike Murphy: You know, because I come out of the blue swing state governor world: Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush. I mean, these guys -- this is how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And it's not gonna work. And --

PN: It's over.

MM: Still McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech to do himself some good.

CT: I also think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, too.

PN: Saw Kay this morning.

CT: Yeah, she's never looked comfortable about this --

MM: They're all bummed out.

CT: Yeah, I mean is she really the most qualified woman they could have turned to?

PN: The most qualified? No! I think they went for this -- excuse me-- political bulls*** about narratives --

CT: Yeah they went to a narrative.

MM: I totally agree.

PN: Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.

MM: You know what' sreally the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.

CT: This is cynical, and as you called it, gimmicky.

MM: Yeah.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Are you trying to say he isnt referencing the size of Iran, yes or no?

"Size" can refer to land mass, or to population, economic 'size' -- many different things. Population, USSR was close to 300 mil, Iran is about 70 mil (iirc). And we've grown in the meantime, so the effect is larger than that. Later in the speech, Obama explicitly refers to the economic 'size'/power, in pointing out that we spend 100x as much on the military.

You want to merely assume that Obama is talking about land mass, go ahead. It's pretty silly to think that he was saying that Canada is one of the most powerful nations in the world, but if you want to believe that, be my guest.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)

I agree that McCain is fighting an uphill battle and is in big trouble if he doesn't get at least four-point bounce in the polls by the middle of next week. Also agreed that Palin needs to do well tonight, but I don't think that she needs to knock everybody's socks off. I also don't think that the Palin pick is backfiring at all. If it were, the liberal media wouldn't be throwing the kitchen sink at her. Think about it: They're risking a backlash of sexism charges from millions of angry women. There's no way they do that unless they see Palin as a serious threat.

IMO, it's going to come down to the debates, where McCain has an advantage over Obama and Biden has an advantage over Palin. They should be very interesting.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
This must somehow have been fabricated. I have heard that only the liberal media is deriding this pick.

Only if you read back out loud what you typed. Nobody here ever said that. You may have inferred that from someone saying 'the liberal media...', that's about it. Obama has his share of Democrats that were unhappy with Biden as well. Can't please everybody.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
"Size" can refer to land mass, or to population, economic 'size' -- many different things. Population, USSR was close to 300 mil, Iran is about 70 mil (iirc). And we've grown in the meantime, so the effect is larger than that. Later in the speech, Obama explicitly refers to the economic 'size'/power, in pointing out that we spend 100x as much on the military.

You want to merely assume that Obama is talking about land mass, go ahead. It's pretty silly to think that he was saying that Canada is one of the most powerful nations in the world, but if you want to believe that, be my guest.

He references Cuba and Iran and he is comparing the "size" to Russia, he isnt talking about economic size. He actually uses the word "tiny"