3/29 - Sox @ DBacks

scenario

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Anderson with another hit.

The fact he's actually producing in the leadoff spot might make Ozzie try it more.

I would just wish that if Anderson starts producing (where ever that may be in the lineup) just leave him there until he is no longer producing. Don't give Anderson a day off the day after he goes 3 for 4. I hope Ozzie will let him try to get on a roll.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Since we're talking "fake prospects" and we're playing the D-Backs, I'll add Luis Terrero to the list.

Did they send Kroeger down? It would be nice to see him get some PT against his former team, good storyline.

Go Sooners!

Terrero had some pop, he could throw, he could make the plays in the OF, and he could run. He could also hit for pretty good average coming up for the D'Backs. Things just didn't work out for him, but that doesn't mean he was never a prospect. Alex Cintron was a pretty big prospect coming up for them too and he also turned into a bench player. And actually, Andy Gonzalez was once considered a good prospect for us as well. The truth is, normally you have to have some kind of talent to ever get any kind of shot in the big leagues. Many if not most of guys who end up on benches, like Pablo Ozuna, Willie Harris, Ben Davis if you remember him, etc. were at one time pretty big prospects.

Kroeger might be a story if he had a shot at making the team, but unfortunately he doesn't. It appears Wise and BA have locked up jobs.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Ben Davis was one of THE best prospects in baseball when he was coming up w/ the Padres. I think he was either the 1/2 draft pick overall in the first round. Looking back, he's probably best remembered for bunting to break up a no-hitter.

Andy Gonzalez was in our Top 10 list, but we could probably find a number of other Francisco Hernandezes and Silverio's on that list in the last 10 years....like Broadway, Russell, Ring, Dellaero, McCulloch, etc.

Terrero was a top prospect, but he was a "suspect" by the time he reached Chicago.

I think Ozzie is smart enough (replying to earlier comment) to stick with Anderson and/or Wise when they are hot and balance it as he did last year with all of our players...like Carasco coming out of the pen, mixing and matching and maximizing their contributions.

Edited by caulfield12

Ben Davis was huge prospect for a while.

What's Wise's OBP at this point? He somehow is still hitting and keeping his name in there for the CF spot.

Also, I know Betemit has a bad glove, but is it worse than Fields? He looks like he'd almost be wasted talent on the bench.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Yeah but he has a horrible OBP and his BB/K ratio is horrendous, like 1/20

Check his minor league stats out. They're a much better indicator of his ability than a few AB in ST are.

2008 (AAA, MLB): 36 BB, 123 K, about 1 BB for every 3.4 K

2007 (AA, AAA): 40 BB, 119 K, about 1 BB for every 3 K

2006 (A, A+): 87 BB, 104 K, about 1 BB for every 1.2 K

2005 (A-): 14 BB, 35 K, about 1 BB for every 2.5 K

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Check his minor league stats out. They're a much better indicator of his ability than a few AB in ST are.

Obviously the small sample size in ST isn't the end all for him, but based on those numbers and now looking at his minor league numbers, he does not have good plate discipline, in aa and aaa he put up some big k numbers and those numbers will almost assuredly increase in the majors unless he makes some major changes in his approach

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)

177/381=2.15

I think 3-1 isn't beyond the realm of possibility, at worst, 4-1 for the last player on the bench. We can live with it because of all the other skills he brings to the table. Seems like he was trying too hard to impress his teammates and justify the trade in the first 2-3 weeks of ST.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Ben Davis was one of THE best prospects in baseball when he was coming up w/ the Padres. I think he was either the 1/2 draft pick overall in the first round. Looking back, he's probably best remembered for bunting to break up a no-hitter.

Andy Gonzalez was in our Top 10 list, but we could probably find a number of other Francisco Hernandezes and Silverio's on that list in the last 10 years....like Broadway, Russell, Ring, Dellaero, McCulloch, etc.

Terrero was a top prospect, but he was a "suspect" by the time he reached Chicago.

I think Ozzie is smart enough (replying to earlier comment) to stick with Anderson and/or Wise when they are hot and balance it as he did last year with all of our players...like Carasco coming out of the pen, mixing and matching and maximizing their contributions.

Agree with all this and that's just my point. Lots of guys start out with lots of hype behind them but either completely miss or turn into role players out of the pen or off the bench. When an announcer says "Player A was once a 5-tool prospect" then he's probably telling the truth, but you could also look at both teams and see a ton of guys that once fit that description. At that time, Anderson, Sweeney, Dye, Uribe, Cintron, Iguchi when he was coming up in Japan before he had surgery, Erstad, etc. were also guys who had been labeled potential future 5-tool Major League players coming up. I agree though that Terrero was considered a bust well before he got here, although I still wanted the Sox to play him at the time since they weren't playing Anderson or Sweeney. In the middle of a season that is going nowhere, if you're not going to play your prospects then play some AAAA players just to see if you hit the lottery and end up with another Cust or Ludwick (even though those guys were better prospect than Terrero ever was).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
Well, compared to Owens/Wasserman/Gonzalez in 2007, this is like heaven to have all these legitimate prospects.

I think Lillibridge will end up surprising some people...the White Sox seem to have more faith in him than the Braves ever did, that has worked miracles in the last decade with players other organizations have given up on. We'll see if it can happen again this time.

We're just going to have to live with Fields' strikeouts. Not much different than Crede's weak flares to RF or K's.

I am sorry but those flares to RF by Crede were with lots of muscle behind them :lol:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
177/381=2.15

I think 3-1 isn't beyond the realm of possibility, at worst, 4-1 for the last player on the bench. We can live with it because of all the other skills he brings to the table. Seems like he was trying too hard to impress his teammates and justify the trade in the first 2-3 weeks of ST.

could be, i'm just playing devils advocate. he certainly has been hitting much better over the last couple weeks and he got off to about as bad a start as he could have.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Obviously the small sample size in ST isn't the end all for him, but based on those numbers and now looking at his minor league numbers, he does not have good plate discipline, in aa and aaa he put up some big k numbers and those numbers will almost assuredly increase in the majors unless he makes some major changes in his approach

If you think cracking 100 K is bad discipline then you'll be shocked to see how many highly touted prospects K at a much higher rate than that. Of current and former top prospects in our organization, Fields, Anderson, Nix, Allen and Flowers have cracked that. Shelby would have easily cracked that last year if he'd have played a full season, Viciedo will almost certainly crack that if he's down there all year, so will Jordan Danks, and it just goes on. Beckham and Getz are pretty rare. Why do you think Jeremy Reed was such a huge prospect for us?

Lilli actually walks (through his minor league career) at a pretty good rate (career .352 minor league OBP).