Baltimore

Disco72

Hi Fellow Soxtalkers,

I'm interviewing for a job at a university in Baltimore next week. My wife and I are flying in for about 36 hours, but I'll be interviewing during most of it. In the little time we have, we were planning on checking out the area around the university and the aquarium (where she'd work in a perfect world). Any suggestions on what we should check out? I'm not interested (at this point) in touristy stuff, but instead stuff that'll help us decide if it's a place we want to live.

Anything else I should know about the Baltimore area? We've only been there once - for about half a day - and saw the National Aquarium.

I think Lostfan is in that area, and I'm sure others are or are more familiar with it than me.

Thanks for your help!

I lived right outside of Baltimore in Glen Burnie for about 2 years. I wish I could have been there longer. Baltimore is a great city with plenty to do. With a short stay with not much time to look around, I would check out the Inner Harbor and Fells Point. The Inner Harbor may be touristy, but I frequented it when I lived there because it's very easy to get in and out of downtown. Fells Point is close to the harbor and has tons of restaurants and bars. Also, there's the old police station where Homicide was filmed.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
I lived right outside of Baltimore in Glen Burnie for about 2 years. I wish I could have been there longer. Baltimore is a great city with plenty to do. With a short stay with not much time to look around, I would check out the Inner Harbor and Fells Point. The Inner Harbor may be touristy, but I frequented it when I lived there because it's very easy to get in and out of downtown. Fells Point is close to the harbor and has tons of restaurants and bars. Also, there's the old police station where Homicide was filmed.

Thanks! Any thoughts on the neighborhoods around that area? Safe? Fun? I think the university is around the Mt. Vernon area, and the Aquarium is obviously Inner Harbor. I'm used to cities having lived in Chicago and Atlanta.

^^That's where I live

I'm kind of meh about Baltimore. It's kind of like any other American city, there's stuff to do, there's bad areas to avoid, there's stuff that's unique to here. Camden Yards is a great park, I love it. The inner harbor is nice, and there's Fell's Point and Federal Hill. The housing market is still pretty inflated even after the collapse IMO, it makes me wonder where all these people are that have 120k jobs. I still think it's funny as hell every year when they have 1.5 inches of snow and pack Wal-Mart buying canned food, bottled water, bread, and toilet paper. Idiots.

If you ever did want to do touristy stuff there is always DC 40 minutes away.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Thanks! Any thoughts on the neighborhoods around that area? Safe? Fun? I think the university is around the Mt. Vernon area, and the Aquarium is obviously Inner Harbor. I'm used to cities having lived in Chicago and Atlanta.

I wouldn't want to live in the city itself. It just feels dull and flat, and even the really nice neighborhoods are no more than 5 minutes from the hood.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
^^That's where I live

I'm kind of meh about Baltimore. It's kind of like any other American city, there's stuff to do, there's bad areas to avoid, there's stuff that's unique to here.

I hear if you take Carol Heathrow to see a Sandra Dee film at the Strand she'll go for your pecker.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

Stay away from East Baltimore. That's where the container yards and bad neighborhoods are. Glen Burnie, where I lived, is south of the city. That's a decent area, much like the far southwestern suburbs of Chicago. To the west are some old but nice areas like Ellicott City. North of the city are the more expensive neighborhoods. Towson and Timonium I am familiar with.

So, it depends on what you like. If you're looking for convienence of shopping, malls, etc. and the ease of going downtown, I would recommend the southern suburbs. If historical, older neighborhoods are your thing, go west (Ellicott City is very nice). And if ya got money, north is the place to be.

I was meant to travel to Baltimore for a weekend trip, but basically decided against it after starting a thread on here and being told it basically wasn't the world's greatest city (ended up seeing a St. Patty's day parade in Hoboken instead).

Hope that doesn't put you off or anything. :lol: