Soxtalk Keeper 1 Thread

knightni

You don't HAVE to keep 5 to make it work, but that's the way we have it set up. Otherwise I would definitely ditch one of my pitchers for an extra pick (though that's a little different because you're required to keep two starters).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
I think that Zoom makes them the first 5 automatically before we even draft. So, they go on the roster ahead of time.

Yeah. I can't set the keepers until we finalize the league roster though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Whether or not to ditch or reduce keepers should be discussed well in advance of the draft. And it's unfair to those that made moves the previous year with the thinking that they'll have first dibs on the player(s)

How far in advance are you suggesting? Now for next season?

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)

Yea you have to adjust your draft strategy depending on playing with keepers in mind or just complete overhaul at the end of the season. If we're going to change it we should probably make a decision before this years draft and implement it next year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)

Honestly, that might be best. That way we all play for THAT particular year and that particular year only. No worrying at all about the next year. "I would trade so and so for so and so. But I want this guy for next year." Those kinda things. Like last year for example. I wanted an upgrade at 3B (Sandoval was horrible). I sent one of the owners who had Ryan Zimmerman a PM asking who he would want for him. And he said Strasburg and only Strasburg. And I struggled for two weeks with that one. Of course, this was before Strasburg got hurt. But you could imagine my dilemma at the time. Do I go with the upgrade at 3B in exchange for an almost immortal lock to dominate SP as soon as '11? I made the trade. I went for it in '10. Knowing that more than likely I would only have Zimmerman for the last two months. That's the thing with keeper leagues. You're playing for the next year as well. I say we keep it the way it is for this year and if majority, or hell, if Zoom, since he's running the show, want to just reset the league. So be it. I won't have a problem with it.

Also, I have to be honest and admit a big part of me wanting to leave it like it is is because I have Pujols, Cano, Tulo, Price and Kershaw. lol. If my keepers sucked I probably wouldn't care as much. lol.

I'd be open to re-setting the keepers next year to reconfigure the rosters a bit and give the newer teams a shot at guys they missed. However, last time I suggested that it didn't go over so well.

What I'd REALLY love to do one of the following:

1) Re-start with an auction. You would be able to keep as many/few guys as you want, but the price paid for him would carry over (most leagues add $5 a year. For instance, let's say you grabbed Gordon Beckham for $8 this year. It'd be $13 to keep him for 2012, $18 in 2013, ect.).

2) A new draft with pick-replacement for keepers. For instance, for 2012 you'd lose your 1st to keep Pujols or your 8th for John Danks (hypothetical). Much like with the auction setup, the pick lost would go up 2 or 3 rounds so if you snag the next stud you can't keep him as your 18th rounder forever.

I like these because it adds more strategy to who you keep rather than simply taking your 3 best hitters and your 2 best pitchers (or vice-versa). I'm also 90% sure Yahoo lets you do this rather painlessly (I know for sure you can do the pick replacement).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
I'd be open to re-setting the keepers next year to reconfigure the rosters a bit and give the newer teams a shot at guys they missed. However, last time I suggested that it didn't go over so well.

Again.

Start a new God damn keeper league if you want new keepers. What's the point in participating in a keeper year after year if they just get reset?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Again.

Start a new God damn keeper league if you want new keepers. What's the point in participating in a keeper year after year if they just get reset?

First off, I edited.

Second, this league goes back pretty far. 2006 was the first year of this league, so it's not like we're doing this in year 2. We've also replaced half of the original owners (you were not in the first year for instance).

Third, not everyone trades/changes their keepers every year like you. :P

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)

What I'd REALLY love to do one of the following:

1) Re-start with an auction. You would be able to keep as many/few guys as you want, but the price paid for him would carry over (most leagues add $5 a year. For instance, let's say you grabbed Gordon Beckham for $8 this year. It'd be $13 to keep him for 2012, $18 in 2013, ect.).

2) A new draft with pick-replacement for keepers. For instance, for 2012 you'd lose your 1st to keep Pujols or your 8th for John Danks (hypothetical). Much like with the auction setup, the pick lost would go up 2 or 3 rounds so if you snag the next stud you can't keep him as your 18th rounder forever.

I like these because it adds more strategy to who you keep rather than simply taking your 3 best hitters and your 2 best pitchers (or vice-versa). I'm also 90% sure Yahoo lets you do this rather painlessly (I know for sure you can do the pick replacement).

The auction would be next year, right? If so I'm down. Auction leagues are a totally different animal. I don't have the time to deal with it this year. Especially when I've been preparing for the upcoming draft in a couple weeks or whatever. I'd also be cool with simply resetting the league with a regular draft next year as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
The auction would be next year, right? If so I'm down. Auction leagues are a totally different animal. I don't have the time to deal with it this year. Especially when I've been preparing for the upcoming draft in a couple weeks or whatever. I'd also be cool with simply resetting the league with a regular draft next year as well.

Any changes definitely wouldn't be until 2012.

I wouldnt mind a reset either eventually as I took over for someone YEARS ago and kind of got a little handcuffed with the roster.. either way, I need to see my roster from last year so I can get my keepers as a year is a long time to remember.. however, I am almost positive they are all pitchers

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:11 AM)
I wouldnt mind a reset either eventually as I took over for someone YEARS ago and kind of got a little handcuffed with the roster.. either way, I need to see my roster from last year so I can get my keepers as a year is a long time to remember.. however, I am almost positive they are all pitchers

If you log into yahoo, you can visit your fantasy profile and find your team.

http://profiles.sports.yahoo.com/user/R5FL...YVMVJVHY53KMDXY

http://archive.fantasysports.yahoo.com/arc.../2010/147061/11

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:06 AM)
If you log into yahoo, you can visit your fantasy profile and find your team.

http://profiles.sports.yahoo.com/user/R5FL...YVMVJVHY53KMDXY

http://archive.fantasysports.yahoo.com/arc.../2010/147061/11

You can also go to the keeper league home page and click on "all-time", go to 2010 and see all of the rosters.

I see Soxfan420 hasn't joined yet, and I haven't gotten in touch with Slav.

I'll nag these people to join, but if I can't do we just drop to 10 teams or try to find two more? The latter would be harder, especially if I don't push back the draft.