Tattoos

BigSqwert

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just weird, Sqwert. I also kind of find it weird that you would even have a tattoo. I know it has nothing to do with being a vegan and all, but it just seems like a vegan also wouldn't do something like that to their own body.

I probably won't ever get a tattoo. I can't see any tattoo being as cool or funny in the future as I might find it when first getting it. The only exception I can think of is a veteran. It's still really cool to see a veteran from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc. still have their unit's symbol.

The coolest thing ever would be to meet someone who actually has a battleship on their chest.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
That's just weird, Sqwert. I also kind of find it weird that you would even have a tattoo. I know it has nothing to do with being a vegan and all, but it just seems like a vegan also wouldn't do something like that to their own body.

I probably won't ever get a tattoo. I can't see any tattoo being as cool or funny in the future as I might find it when first getting it. The only exception I can think of is a veteran. It's still really cool to see a veteran from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc. still have their unit's symbol.

The coolest thing ever would be to meet someone who actually has a battleship on their chest.

I must say I have no idea where you are coming from there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I must say I have no idea where you are coming from there.

I kind of did the same double take. I'm guessing it has some health, and defiling the body as temple angle.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
I kind of did the same double take. I'm guessing it has some health, and defiling the body as temple angle.

Or milkman is 78 years old and yells at kids to get off his lawn.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
Or milkman is 78 years old and yells at kids to get off his lawn.

Maybe not, I am surprised by how many of my 13-14 year old students have a negative image about tats.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Here's a piece I had done last summer.

3977077825_ba6e3b3436.jpg

3977078839_ba5215a75e.jpg

Awesome thread idea! :headbang: I'll be posting pics of my tattoos when I get home from work tonight.

And awesome tattoo, dude. :) I'd love to hear the story about how you came up with that and how your tattoo artist reacted when you approached him with the idea.

Who was your artist? It'd be funny if any of us on Soxtalk got tattoo'd by the same artist.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 20, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
And awesome tattoo, dude. :)

Thanks!

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 20, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
I'd love to hear the story about how you came up with that and how your tattoo artist reacted when you approached him with the idea.

Well it's no big secret on these boards that I'm vegan so I came up with a generic idea of a role reversal tattoo. I couldn't really come up with a concrete design of what it would look like so I asked the artist, Ryan Flaherty from Insight Studios, to come up with something that got my message across. He drew it up from scratch and I was blown away.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)

I have a cousin who's vegan, and he has a couple tattoos.

Also if you're worried about a tattoo not being cool in the future as when you first got it, then do whatever you can to get a 100% original tattoo that has meaning to you and tells a story about who you are in some way.

I'm a big believer that tattoos should tell the looker something about the wearer, very similar to prison tattoos. Prison tattoos has a lot of meaning behind the images, for example, you may see a spiderweb tattoo and think it's just a spiderweb, but it really means that the person spent time in prison. I just really like that visual symbolism.

As for BigSqwert, if I was a stranger and didn't know he was a vegan and I looked at his tattoo, I would assume he was a vegan because of the statement it's making with the visual symbolism of the cow and pigs eating a human.

Great tattoo Sqwert. :)

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Maybe not, I am surprised by how many of my 13-14 year old students have a negative image about tats.

Really?!?!!? I'm shocked to hear that, but then I realized you're in Texas where a lot of 14 year olds probably have more conservative christian values than most anywhere else.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)

That's pretty much it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Yeah my 14 year old daughter isn't the biggest fan.

I had no idea you had kids, let alone that old.

That beard of yours going a little gray? :P

I don't think I could ever get a tattoo because I know once I got it, I wouldn't like it later on in life. The only thing I could see myself getting is if one of my siblings or cousins died at a very young age. If that were to happen, I could see myself getting one because it would mean something important to me.

I have two tattoos, I'll post my first one in this post then my 2nd one in the next post...

First, I thought it'd be fun to show my old concept drawing I created 7 years ago when I was fleshing out the ideas for my first tattoo...

shamrocktatconcept.jpg ...yea, I'm a HORRIBLE artist. :P

I knew exactly what I wanted, I even waited 5 years to make sure I wanted it and still did, so it was all a matter of me finding the right tattoo artist. I went to 3 different tattoo artists first and none of them worked out (1st one was a jerk, 2nd one drew a sketch that was a little too old-school for my taste, and the 3rd one was in a motorcycle accident and might not be as good anymore.

So I finally found Shred at Shred's Inferno on 63rd street in the South Side of Chicago. http://www.shredtattoos.com/ He was a very cool guy and he was very open to all my ideas and I felt like he was very enthusiastic about doing my tattoo, and he was also very patient with my requests to tweak the design here and there. After 6 months of tweaking, and paying towards the deposit each time, I finally got my first tattoo on my left arm on Good Friday 2008...

tattooshamrock2.jpg

tattooshamrock.jpg

:)

Edited by SouthsideDon48

For my 2nd tattoo, I waited two years while fleshing out ideas for a design.

I knew I wanted one on my right arm to "balance out" my tattoo on my left arm in order to get a little more symmetry. I also knew I wanted my 2nd tattoo to be more "dark" than my first and I wanted to incorporate the themes of poker and anarchy in this design. It finally struck me to incorporate the skull with spade background from my poker card protector. Since I always wanted a skull tattoo, incorporating a skull in a tattoo along with a poker and anarchy theme works out perfect, since it's "not gonna be just a skull". I also decided that I wanted an angry skull with my eyeballs in it with the anarchy symbol on the skull's forehead and cracks all over the skull for a ghastly appearance.

My original concept drawing was this...

skulltatconcept.jpg ..again, I'm a horrible artist. :P

Once again, I went back to Shred and he once again drew an awesome design, he was awesome enough to tweak the design after I asked him to change the playing cards to look more like old and tattered playing cards from the old west and to use normal Aces instead of more little anarchy symbols since I didn't want it to be redundant, I also had the playing cards depict quad aces since I once had quad aces in an underground tournament, and I also had the suits ordered from spade, heart, diamond, club so that I can have a reminder of the correct ranking of spade and to keep a black/red/red/black symmetry. I also requested at the last minute some missing teeth, and the big crack on the lower left jaw and the crack below the right eyeball.

skulltat2.jpg

skulltat1.jpg