Tattoos

BigSqwert

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 21, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
Dude, you have no idea how many times I'd have to explain the tattoo...to Chicago area residents...yes, including the state outline.

lol try having to explain what each of those stars individually represent to people that have lived in Chicago their whole lives. Especially ones that couldnt even tell you what fort dearborn is :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 21, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
That's awesome. :)

I'm thinking about going back and having it made into a full wrist to elbow sleeve. It does take up most of the inside of my left forearm already.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
That place sucks. Totally overrated and overpriced.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Crummy neighborhood too. Are there a lot of tattoo parlors in Chicago, because we only saw three listed in the phonebook? The artist was too busy trying to buy bootleg DVD's. He did claim that he did Henry Blanco's and Jason Kendall's tattoos. My Wife got a good tattoo though. Her artist was actually from Birmingham and went to the same college as her.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Crummy neighborhood too. Are there a lot of tattoo parlors in Chicago, because we only saw three listed in the phonebook? The artist was too busy trying to buy bootleg DVD's. He did claim that he did Henry Blanco's and Jason Kendall's tattoos. My Wife got a good tattoo though. Her artist was actually from Birmingham and went to the same college as her.

Yea, I heard a lot of bad things about Jade Dragon, that's why I stayed away.

Basically from what I read online, Jade Dragon is the type of tattoo shop that takes advantage of the fact that they have an old and popular shop and try to hype it up the shop by hopping onto the novelty of tattooing like they do on tv shows like "Miami Ink", "LA Ink", "Inked", and some other shows.

Basically it seems like they hire mediocre tattoo artists and give clients the false illusion that they're good artists just because they work for an "infamous" shop. A lot of stuff I read basically indicates that the tattoo artists there don't really care and actually prefer it if you pick crappy flash off the wall instead of doing custom work. And they overcharge you, too. That's why I stayed away.

I think there's lots of shops in Chicago. I got my 2 tattoos from Shred at Shred's Inferno on 63rd street (between Cicero and Pulaski, off of 63rd and Kildare) in the South Side of Chicago, and I was lucky I found this shop, because there's not much stuff online about it. Shred is a great artist, he is also the type that cares about doing great work in a safe, clean, and professional manner instead of getting recognition as a world class artist. Shred cares about the trade and not the fame, and that's awesome. :headbang:

Also, if anyone cares, Shred did Bulls' Derrick Rose's tattoos.

I also know there's a lot of tattoo shops in the south suburbs, a lot of them are way closer to my house, but I ended up choosing Shred as my artist despite the almost 1 hour drive.

Other shops in the south suburbs, off the top of my head, are:

*Tattoo City in Lockport, Larry Brogan is the owner and their best artist. However, his style wasn't what I was looking for, it was too much of a japanese-inspired style, so I passed him over. The online porfolios of the other artists in the shop also makes me glad I didn't get any of them to do my tattoos and that I shopped around instead. They also do piercings there, and it's a female piercer, so if I ever get my nipples pierced, then I might get it done there, ...yea I'm a masochistic perv, I know. :P

*Native Rituals on Cicero near 147th in Oak Forest, Apparently the owner of this shop once worked at Shred's shop. However, some of the artists' porfolios online were not my style, so I didn't go there. My sister got a lot of piercings from there and they seem to be a good place to get piercings at.

*Basement Ink on Cicero south of 159th in Oak Forest. I'm not sure who owns the shop now, since I just checked online and noticed stuff saying "under new ownership" so whatever I'm about to say probably doesn't apply anymore, so people should do their own homework before getting work done at this shop. The former owner used to be Stacy Laycoax, and she did AMAZING work. Before I found Shred, I was gonna have her do my first tatoo because her style was similar to what I was looking for. But when I went in, I found out she was involved in a motorcycle accident and broke her tattooing arm. I didn't want to be one of her first post-injury clients because I worried her linework wouldn't be the same, so I shopped around again. I'm not sure if Stacy Laycoax works there anymore or if she moved on to another shop, but if anyone ever think about having work done I would seriously ask her to show portfolio pictures of her work before and after her injury.

West Side Tattoo, Ruby Road off of route 30/Plainfield Road in Joliet. They have a very nice and clean-looking shop, but most of the artists didn't seem to care about me when I went there. They probably didn't take me seriously because I was getting my first tattoo, but one guy did take me seriously, it was Jason Cobb, and I really appreciated it. I paid him to draw up a sketch of what I wanted, but his style was very old-school (like sailor's tattoo style), and it wasn't what I was looking for, so I shopped around. Jason Cobb had a very nice porfolio of work, if anyone is looking for an old-school artist, then I would look him up. Also, some of my friends got tattoo'd here and got great work done.

Wolf's Fine Line on Route 30/Plainefield Road in Joliet, one of my friends told me that this guy sucked, so I stayed away.

Wolf's Tattoo Shop, Lockport near 159th street. This was the first shop I ever went into, and the owner of the shop was an asshole. He wouldn't listen to me about my ideas and basically treated me like a kid because he knew I was looking to get my first tattoo. He also refused to draw up a sketch (it was a custom design I wanted) even though it's common practice for most tattoo artists to draw up a preliminary sketch for a $50 deposit. He refused to draw up anything unless I got a tattoo that very day, which indicates to me that he probably does mostly flash tattoos and crappy little tiny tattoos for spontaneous customers. Stay away from this guy, however, the last I heard this guy's shop closed down, but I didn't verify it though.

Other shops I know of but don't know much about them are:

*Firehouse Tattoo: on Harlem Ave near 70th street in, I think, Burbank.

*South Side Tattoo: on Harlem near 80th street in, I think, Bridgeview.

*Koolsville Tattoo, north of 87th street on Roberts Road in Justice. I went in once to check it out, they seem very clean, but I didn't look at their porfolios too much, so I can't really say much about the artists.

*Tattoo Illusions, somewhere on the east side of Roberts Road in Justice. Forgot exactly where it was, but they have a clean-looking shop. Again, I didn't look too much in their porfolios, so I can't say much about this shop, either.

*Tattoo Depot, on southwest corner of 79th and Roberts road in Justice. Don't know anything about this shop.

*Machine Tattoo, on 111th in Chicago Ridge. Don't know anything about this shop.

There's other shops I know of in the city of Chicago itself that I heard have great artists, such as Deluxe Tattoo and Cherry Bomb Tattoo, but I didn't look much else into those shops besides hearsay.

All in all, I'm glad I found Shred and got my tattoos done by him, because it's a case of finding the right tattoo artist with the right style I was looking for to carry out the job. :)

And I guess the morale of the story of this post is: Don't settle for the first tattoo shop you go to, or the closest shop to your house. All of the 9 shops I listed from the South Suburbs (minus the ones in Joliet), are very close to where I live and are a very convenient few-minutes drive from my house, but I shopped around until I found the right artist to carry out what I was looking for. So shop around and don't let distance be a factor. :)

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Yea, I heard a lot of bad things about Jade Dragon, that's why I stayed away.

Basically from what I read online, Jade Dragon is the type of tattoo shop that takes advantage of the fact that they have an old and popular shop and try to hype it up the shop by hopping onto the novelty of tattooing like they do on tv shows like "Miami Ink", "LA Ink", "Inked", and some other shows.

Basically it seems like they hire mediocre tattoo artists and give clients the false illusion that they're good artists just because they work for an "infamous" shop. A lot of stuff I read basically indicates that the tattoo artists there don't really care and actually prefer it if you pick crappy flash off the wall instead of doing custom work. And they overcharge you, too. That's why I stayed away.

I think there's lots of shops in Chicago. I got my 2 tattoos from Shred at Shred's Inferno on 63rd street (between Cicero and Pulaski, off of 63rd and Kildare) in the South Side of Chicago, and I was lucky I found this shop, because there's not much stuff online about it. Shred is a great artist, he is also the type that cares about doing great work in a safe, clean, and professional manner instead of getting recognition as a world class artist. Shred cares about the trade and not the fame, and that's awesome. :headbang:

Also, if anyone cares, Shred did Bulls' Derrick Rose's tattoos.

I also know there's a lot of tattoo shops in the south suburbs, a lot of them are way closer to my house, but I ended up choosing Shred as my artist despite the almost 1 hour drive.

Other shops in the south suburbs, off the top of my head, are:

*Tattoo City in Lockport, Larry Brogan is the owner and their best artist. However, his style wasn't what I was looking for, it was too much of a japanese-inspired style, so I passed him over. The online porfolios of the other artists in the shop also makes me glad I didn't get any of them to do my tattoos and that I shopped around instead. They also do piercings there, and it's a female piercer, so if I ever get my nipples pierced, then I might get it done there, ...yea I'm a masochistic perv, I know. :P

*Native Rituals on Cicero near 147th in Oak Forest, Apparently the owner of this shop once worked at Shred's shop. However, some of the artists' porfolios online were not my style, so I didn't go there. My sister got a lot of piercings from there and they seem to be a good place to get piercings at.

*Basement Ink on Cicero south of 159th in Oak Forest. I'm not sure who owns the shop now, since I just checked online and noticed stuff saying "under new ownership" so whatever I'm about to say probably doesn't apply anymore, so people should do their own homework before getting work done at this shop. The former owner used to be Stacy Laycoax, and she did AMAZING work. Before I found Shred, I was gonna have her do my first tatoo because her style was similar to what I was looking for. But when I went in, I found out she was involved in a motorcycle accident and broke her tattooing arm. I didn't want to be one of her first post-injury clients because I worried her linework wouldn't be the same, so I shopped around again. I'm not sure if Stacy Laycoax works there anymore or if she moved on to another shop, but if anyone ever think about having work done I would seriously ask her to show portfolio pictures of her work before and after her injury.

West Side Tattoo, Ruby Road off of route 30/Plainfield Road in Joliet. They have a very nice and clean-looking shop, but most of the artists didn't seem to care about me when I went there. They probably didn't take me seriously because I was getting my first tattoo, but one guy did take me seriously, it was Jason Cobb, and I really appreciated it. I paid him to draw up a sketch of what I wanted, but his style was very old-school (like sailor's tattoo style), and it wasn't what I was looking for, so I shopped around. Jason Cobb had a very nice porfolio of work, if anyone is looking for an old-school artist, then I would look him up. Also, some of my friends got tattoo'd here and got great work done.

Wolf's Fine Line on Route 30/Plainefield Road in Joliet, one of my friends told me that this guy sucked, so I stayed away.

Wolf's Tattoo Shop, Lockport near 159th street. This was the first shop I ever went into, and the owner of the shop was an asshole. He wouldn't listen to me about my ideas and basically treated me like a kid because he knew I was looking to get my first tattoo. He also refused to draw up a sketch (it was a custom design I wanted) even though it's common practice for most tattoo artists to draw up a preliminary sketch for a $50 deposit. He refused to draw up anything unless I got a tattoo that very day, which indicates to me that he probably does mostly flash tattoos and crappy little tiny tattoos for spontaneous customers. Stay away from this guy, however, the last I heard this guy's shop closed down, but I didn't verify it though.

Other shops I know of but don't know much about them are:

*Firehouse Tattoo: on Harlem Ave near 70th street in, I think, Burbank.

*South Side Tattoo: on Harlem near 80th street in, I think, Bridgeview.

*Koolsville Tattoo, north of 87th street on Roberts Road in Justice. I went in once to check it out, they seem very clean, but I didn't look at their porfolios too much, so I can't really say much about the artists.

*Tattoo Illusions, somewhere on the east side of Roberts Road in Justice. Forgot exactly where it was, but they have a clean-looking shop. Again, I didn't look too much in their porfolios, so I can't say much about this shop, either.

*Tattoo Depot, on southwest corner of 79th and Roberts road in Justice. Don't know anything about this shop.

*Machine Tattoo, on 111th in Chicago Ridge. Don't know anything about this shop.

There's other shops I know of in the city of Chicago itself that I heard have great artists, such as Deluxe Tattoo and Cherry Bomb Tattoo, but I didn't look much else into those shops besides hearsay.

All in all, I'm glad I found Shred and got my tattoos done by him, because it's a case of finding the right tattoo artist with the right style I was looking for to carry out the job. :)

And I guess the morale of the story of this post is: Don't settle for the first tattoo shop you go to, or the closest shop to your house. All of the 9 shops I listed from the South Suburbs (minus the ones in Joliet), are very close to where I live and are a very convenient few-minutes drive from my house, but I shopped around until I found the right artist to carry out what I was looking for. So shop around and don't let distance be a factor. :)

I'll keep Shred's Inferno in mind next time I'm in Chicago. Thanks, Don!

I got my last one done on Taylor street just east of racine, pretty good work there too. My first was done at a since closed down shop in lisle by an absolute hack, its all raised because of the amount of scar tissue cause he was an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 tattoos.

My first I got when I was 22 ..it's a morning glory on my right ankle. My friend I got one for her birthday.

My second is the word "stuff" on my left butt cheek ..My best guy friend's name is Stephen, I call him Stuff ..I told him if he payed for it I would get it ...he called my bluff so now I have Stuff on my ass!!! :)

My third is a tribal heart that covers my left shoulder blade ..it has my kids' names in it.

My fourth is a heart on my left wrist that looks like a puzzle with 4 pieces ..one piece represents myself, the other 3 are for my sisters ..they all have the same tattoo as well!!

tattoo1.jpg

tattoo.jpg

MY FAVORITE!!

tattoo3.jpg

THERE IT IS!!!!

tattoo4.jpg

BET YA CAN'T TELL WHICH ONE'S ME!! HAHAHA ..IT LOOKS EFFED UP HERE ...GOTTA FIX IT :(

I'M NOT SHARING PIX OF THE BOOTY TAT!! LMAO

Edited by girlslikebaseballtoo#26

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
I have 4 tattoos.

My first I got when I was 22 ..it's a morning glory on my right ankle. My friend I got one for her birthday.

My second is the word "stuff" on my left butt cheek ..My best guy friend's name is Stephen, I call him Stuff ..I told him if he payed for it I would get it ...he called my bluff so now I have Stuff on my ass!!! :)

My third is a tribal heart that covers my left shoulder blade ..it has my kids' names in it.

My fourth is a heart on my left wrist that looks like a puzzle with 4 pieces ..one piece represents myself, the other 3 are for my sisters ..they all have the same tattoo as well!!

TRYING TO FIND A BETTER PIC OF MY ANKLE TAT....

You just wanted to show off those legs of yours...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
You just wanted to show off those legs of yours...;)

I HATE my legs ..They are one of my fiance's favorite things about me, but he doesn't see them often because i wear jeans A LOT!! ..PLUS they are so white in that pic ..I have been tanning this summer though!! :)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Yikes. The serious internet wink. You're bordering on creepy, bro.

Are you being serious, Steve? YOU, of all people, are going to call ME creepy? Ok.

I'm just going to say this now because I have been seeing this nonsense all over the board.

WE HAVE A CUTE GIRL POSTING AT SOXTALK.

Stop the presses.

Enough with all the lame comments about "this thread is getting weird," or "this thread is getting creepy," or whatever.

It's only creepy or weird when people say s*** like that.

In regards to myself, I "wink" at posters all the damn time, and no one calls me creepy. Why it should be considered creepy when I do it to a female poster seems ridiculous to me.

In regards to the rest of the people responding to girlslikebaseball, she obviously has thick skin, she's used to being around men (and boys), and she isn't going to go running into her bedroom and play with her barbies because we like to talk about women and we swear. She can handle herself, so just pretend as if she is one of the guys (obviously to a point).

Now let's ALL GET OVER OURSELVES and move on as usual, because I am tired of all the silly jockeying, commenting, and just overall lame-ass behavior because of the fact that we have a young lady in our presence.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Thanks!

Well it's no big secret on these boards that I'm vegan so I came up with a generic idea of a role reversal tattoo. I couldn't really come up with a concrete design of what it would look like so I asked the artist, Ryan Flaherty from Insight Studios, to come up with something that got my message across. He drew it up from scratch and I was blown away.

not that there's anything wrong with inspiration, but it is extremely similar, a little darker and more detailed than, a NOFX album cover from the 90's.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
Are you being serious, Steve? YOU, of all people, are going to call ME creepy? Ok.

I'm just going to say this now because I have been seeing this nonsense all over the board.

WE HAVE A CUTE GIRL POSTING AT SOXTALK.

Stop the presses.

Enough with all the lame comments about "this thread is getting weird," or "this thread is getting creepy," or whatever.

It's only creepy or weird when people say s*** like that.

In regards to myself, I "wink" at posters all the damn time, and no one calls me creepy. Why it should be considered creepy when I do it to a female poster seems ridiculous to me.

In regards to the rest of the people responding to girlslikebaseball, she obviously has thick skin, she's used to being around men (and boys), and she isn't going to go running into her bedroom and play with her barbies because we like to talk about women and we swear. She can handle herself, so just pretend as if she is one of the guys (obviously to a point).

Now let's ALL GET OVER OURSELVES and move on as usual, because I am tired of all the silly jockeying, commenting, and just overall lame-ass behavior because of the fact that we have a young lady in our presence.

In response to your personal message, I don't believe it'd be appropriate to ask her to show a picture of his ass tattoo. I'm sure it exists, whether or not we have photographic proof.