*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)

There are flaws in the research. Distance runners who are and have been training for a long time already have lower bodies that are less susceptible to injury, thats why they run so much. Some people need the cushioning to make up for defects in knees etc. I use a "barefoot" Nike shoe for crosstraining which I think is a huge benefit to me as far as stability and foot strength.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
There are flaws in the research. Distance runners who are and have been training for a long time already have lower bodies that are less susceptible to injury, thats why they run so much. Some people need the cushioning to make up for defects in knees etc. I use a "barefoot" Nike shoe for crosstraining which I think is a huge benefit to me as far as stability and foot strength.

I think the bigger take-away, is the unforeseen consequences. Extra cushioning on the heel should have been a good thing, but it caused people to land harder on their heel because the initial pain (heel) was not there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
I think the bigger take-away, is the unforeseen consequences. Extra cushioning on the heel should have been a good thing, but it caused people to land harder on their heel because the initial pain (heel) was not there.

Supposedly. You can also argue the extra cushioning open up new people to running without pain. I dont buy that cushioning in running shoes changed generations of gaits.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
Supposedly. You can also argue the extra cushioning open up new people to running without pain. I dont buy that cushioning in running shoes changed generations of gaits.

Eh, I think that's probably bunk. More people started running for exercise because more people started running for exercise. The shoe technology was likely coincidental.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Anyone here have experience with the "Tough Mudder"?

http://toughmudder.com/

I'm looking at the one in March and wanted to know if anyone has run one of these.

Weird, I just heard about these and am considering doing one in the spring. If you have a specific question or two let me know, I know a guy that does them regularly.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Weird, I just heard about these and am considering doing one in the spring. If you have a specific question or two let me know, I know a guy that does them regularly.

I was more looking at how they enjoyed the experience. There's no stopping me from running it, as I think it'd be quite the accomplishment.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Registration for the "Rock and Roll Half Marathon" 7/22/12 opens today (11/11/11) and you can save $20 by signing up today only.

http://www.chicagonow.com/pace-of-chicago/...ted-today-only/

Has anyone run this before. Is it well organized? How's the swag?

I have a friend who ran it and said it's terribly run and poorly organized. Everyone was late last year, and there were only like 11 bands throughout the course so the music wasn't consistent.

Based on that feedback, I registered for the Chicago Half Marathan next September this morning.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
I have a friend who ran it and said it's terribly run and poorly organized. Everyone was late last year, and there were only like 11 bands throughout the course so the music wasn't consistent.

Based on that feedback, I registered for the Chicago Half Marathan next September this morning.

Thanks, you saved me $65.

Ironically, I think I ran in the inaugural halfer you linked to, and it was a bad experience back then. I'm sure they've improved it significantly or it never would have lasted this long.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

Let me know if you're going to do that, I've been wanting to do one of these for a little while now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Got charged my for P90X2 today...must be shipping now...Anyone else order it?

Let us know how it is.

I'm starting my spring break diet and work out plan on Monday. One last weekend of fun and then a lot of hard work for the next 4 months.

Started P90X2 today with the core workout...significantly more athletic moves required...definitely a higher level of balance and agility necessary.

One thing that is an awesome product is the Rumble Roller....what a great piece of equipment. I'd advise anyone who works out often to pick one up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Started P90X2 today with the core workout...significantly more athletic moves required...definitely a higher level of balance and agility necessary.

One thing that is an awesome product is the Rumble Roller....what a great piece of equipment. I'd advise anyone who works out often to pick one up.

That sounds awesome, I wish I could do it. Instead I am limited to walking workouts, pretty f-ing awesome.