2012 White Sox draft picks

southsider2k5

Further details and analysis can be had on the live draft tracker at FutureSox.com.

1 (13). Courtney Hawkins, OF, Carroll HS, Tx $2,475,000

1s (48). Keon Barnum, 1B, King HS, FL $950,000

2 (76). Chris Beck, RHP, Georgia Southern, GA $600,000

3 (108). Joey DeMichele, 2B, Arizona State, AZ $400,000

4 (141). Brandon Brennan, RHP, Orange Coast CC, CA $320,800

5 (171). Nick Basto, SS, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL $250,000

6 (201). Kyle Hansen, RHP, St. Johns, NY $250,000

7 (231). Jose Barraza, C, Sunnyside HS, CA $200,000

8 (261). Zach Isler, RHP, Cincinnati, OH $136,600

9 (291). Micah Johnson, 2B, Indiana, IN $127,600

10 (321). Brandon Hardin, RHP, Delta State, MS $20,000

11 (351). Eric Jaffe, RHP, UCLA, CA

12 (381). Zach Stoner, 1B, Boylan Catholic HS, IL $180,000

13 (411). Derek Thompson, LHP, John A. Logan College, IL

14 (441). Anthony Bucciferro, RHP, Michigan St, MI

15 (471). Jordan Guerrero, LHP, Moorspark Highschool, CA

16 (501). Abraham Ruiz, 1B, Arizona State, AZ

17 (531). Sammy Ayala, C, La Jolla Country Day HS, CA $258,800

18 (561). Thomas McCarthy, 3B, Kentucky, KY

19 (591). Alex Williams, 1B, Louisiana Tech, LA

20 (621). Zachary Voight, SS, New Mexico State, NM

21 (651). Adam Lopezm RHP, VMI, VA

22 (681). Cory McGinnis, RHP, Auburn, AL

23 (711). Kale Kiser, CF, Nebraska, NE

24 (741). Eric Grabe, 2B, U Tampa, FL

25 (771). Storm Throne, RHP, Morningside CC, IA

26 (801). Zach Toney LHP, Austin Peay, TN

27 (831). Zac Fisher, C, New Mexico State, NM

28 (861). James Hudelson, RHP, Delta St U, MS

29 (891). Jason Coats, LF, TCU, TX

30 (921). Jake Brown, SS, Kansas St, KS

31 (951). William Thompson, 3B, East Carolina, NC

32 (981). Steven Nikorak, 3B, Temple U, PA

33 (1011). Jon Savarise, LHP, Stevenson HS, IL

34 (1041). Ryan Castellanos, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL

35 (1071). Kyle Martin, RHP, Texas A&M, TX

36 (1101). Mitch Patishall, RHP, Pendleton Heights HS, IN

37 (1131). Thurman Hall, CF, Western Texas JC

38 (1161). DeJohn Suber, SS, Morgan Park HS, IL

39 (1191). Mitch Glasser, 2B, Macalester College, MN

40 (1221). Sam Mason, RHP, Beverly Hills HS, CA

Names in bold have signed with the organization.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2012/6/6/c...ope_to_sign.htm

Chicago White Sox Hope to Sign Barnum Soon

June 6, 2012

Joey Johnston

Advertisement

When King High first baseman Keon Barnum was picked 48th overall by the Chicago White Sox in Monday night's Major League Baseball first-year player draft, Lions coach Jim Macaluso said it was among the happiest moments of his career.

"I call Keon a 'throwback' because he's like the high school athletes when I got into coaching in the 1970s," Macaluso said. "He's no-nonsense. He comes to work every day. There are never any excuses, never any problems. He's a wonderful player and a wonderful person. He deserves the very best."

The signing of Barnum, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder who committed to the University of Miami, might be a formality, according to White Sox scout Joe Siers. The recommended signing-bonus slot for the 48th pick is $1,052,500. Siers suggested everything could be finalized by the weekend.

Barnum hit .417 and tied a school record with six homers. He scored 27 runs and drove in 17, while going 10-for-11 in stolen-base attempts. As a junior, Barnum set King's single-season record with a .491 average.

Siers compared Barnum's businesslike demeanor to Tampa's Fred McGriff, the former Jefferson High standout who played 19 years in the big leagues. When asked if Barnum was close to signing, White Sox director of amateur scouting Doug Laumann told MLB.com, "I believe so."

"We knew we were going to take him at 48, but we were holding our breath because a few other clubs were on him, too," Siers said Tuesday. "Keon has raw power, great backspin on the ball. He has true power because he can hit it out to the opposite field."

Barnum is the only baseball player to be taken directly from King High with a first-round pick. In 1988, former King infielder Ty Griffin was picked ninth overall following his junior season at Georgia Tech.

"It's an exciting time for us as a family," said Barnum's father, Keith, a former basketball player at Tampa Bay Tech. "Keon is a good kid. He hasn't caused us any headaches or troubles. He goes about his business in a quiet fashion. I can't applaud that enough. That's a good approach."

I'm guessing if the kid bought 16 hats, odds are pretty good he is signing quickly.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...PORTS/206070316

By Mike Kuhns

Record Sports Editor

June 07, 2012

Steve Nikorak has won baseball championships, set school records and suffered heartbreaking defeats.

Nothing prepared him for the agony of the Major League Baseball draft this week.

"It's so stressful. I'm very anxious," Nikorak, 22, said on Wednesday, just hours before the third baseman was drafted in the 32nd round by the Chicago White Sox. "It's an exciting process and a lot of fun."

And what do you do after you've been drafted by a Major League team?

"I just picked up 16 hats at the mall," Nikorak said.

It was a memorable day for the Stroudsburg High School and Temple University graduate.

Just last week, Nikorak (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) worked out with the White Sox, leaving with a good feeling. The team put him through a series of drills, looking at his arm strength, footwork and his power at the plate.

At about 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nikorak heard that he was selected and about 15 friends and family celebrated.

"There was a dog pile in the middle of the room," Nikorak's uncle, Gary, said. "This is the best day of my life. The only thing that can top this is when I get the call that he's going to the bigs."

It's been a long, and sometimes painful road, to professional baseball. Early in his sophomore year at Temple in 2009, Nikorak injured his elbow and required Tommy John surgery. He missed the entire season.

Nikorak said it was a big setback at the time, but was confident that he could return to the game just as strong as he was before.

"Sitting out an entire season is rough," Nikorak said. "You don't realize how hard it is to sit and watch teammates play."

He returned in 2010 to hit .318 with four home runs and 24 RBIs in 46 starts. The surgery was a success, and after 2010 was a distant memory.

Statistically, Nikorak's junior year was his best. He hit .359 with 23 multi-hit games and led the Atlantic 10 with 58 RBIs and 23 doubles.

As a senior, he started the year by reaching base in the team's first 30 games. He hit .302 with seven home runs and 42 RBIs.

In high school, Nikorak was a two-time Pocono Record Player of the Year. He earned the honor as a sophomore and a senior. He helped lead Stroudsburg to a pair of Mountain Valley Conference titles.

As of Wednesday afternoon Nikorak had not spoken to the team regarding his placement. He expects to play in a rookie ball league.

"I'm thankful for the opportunity," Nikorak said.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/basebal...8fb087b363.html

11 hours ago • BARRY POE bpoe@siouxcityjournal.com

(0) Comments

Select company

Storm Throne joins four other former Morningside players to be selected in the MLB draft:

Kory DeHaan, 1997

Pittsburgh Pirates, seventh round

Travis Wessel, 1997

Atlanta Braves, 54th round

Mike King, 1980

Oakland Athletics, First round, Pick No. 4

Paul Splittorff, 1968

Kansas City Royals, 25th round

SIOUX CITY | The windy city is beckoning for a pair of talented area collegiate baseball players.

Damek Tomscha of Iowa Western Community College was selected by the Chicago Cubs in Wednesday’s 19th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

Six rounds later, the Chicago White Sox picked up Morningside College’s Storm Throne.

Throne, a 6-foot-7 pitcher, has decided to sign a professional contract.

Tomscha, however, is still weighing his options.The former North High all-stater played third base for NJCAA Division I champion Iowa Western, which captured its national title last week. Iowa’s 2010 Gatorade Player of the Year, Tomscha has signed a national letter of intent with Auburn University.

“It’s a nice honor but I really like Auburn so we’ll see what happens in the next couple of weeks,” said Tomscha, who will turn 21 in August. “Either way, it will be a good decision and I’ll have fun playing baseball somewhere.”

This marks the third time Tomscha has been drafted by a Major League franchise. He was a 50th-round pick of the Philadelphia Phillies out of high school and was selected by the Florida Marlins in the 36th round last June.

The Cubs made him the 584th overall pick.

"They told me they drafted me and want me to work out for them sometime soon," Tomshca said. "They haven’t presented me an offer yet, so it’s kind of hard to say what I will decide.”

The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder batted .438 for the Reivers (62-6) with a team-high 15 home runs, 21 doubles and 64 RBIs. He hit .377 and drove in 59 as a freshman.

Throne, a junior from Omaha, had a 6-4 record with a 4.58 ERA during the 2012 season. The hard-throwing right-hander allowed 47 hits in 55 innings while holding the opposition to a .224 average. His team-high 61 strikeouts were the 10th highest single-season total in Morningside history.

Throne’s fastball has been clocked in the mid-90s, which is enticing to professional scouts.

“I’m going to sign and see where it takes me,” said Throne, who prepped at Millard South. “I wanted to get into an organization as soon as I can so I can get used to everything.”

The White Sox invited Throne to a workout and evidently were impressed with what they saw. The organization has three rookie league teams and Throne will know in a couple of days where he’ll begin his professional career.

“We’d love to have him back," said Morningside head coach Brian Drent. "But baseball is a game of age and the longer you wait, the odds are more against you."

http://lajolla.patch.com/articles/la-jolla...ox-mlb-baseball

LJCDS Grad Drafted by the Chicago White Sox

Sam Ayala was almost drafted in the fourth round by the St. Louis Cardinals, but the team's offer wasn't substantial enough to persuade Ayala to give up his full scholarship at UCSB.

Editor's Note: La Jolla Country Day School released the following announcement June 6, 2012.

Sam Ayala, the senior slugger for the Country Day baseball team, was drafted in the 17th round of today's professional baseball draft by the Chicago White Sox.

But don't expect to see Sammy on Chicago's south side anytime soon.

In an intense process that forces 18-year-old athletes to grow up quickly, Ayala still has his eyes and his future set on attending the University of California Santa Barbara – for now.

Ayala was almost drafted in the fourth round by the St. Louis Cardinals, but the team's offer wasn't substantial enough to persuade Ayala to give up his full scholarship at UCSB. Ayala said the Cardinals offered him $300,000 and a guarantee to cover four years of college tuition and room and board if his baseball career didn't go well.

"That's not the money I was looking for,'' Ayala said. "If someone offered me what giving up college for now is worth, I'd be a fool not to take it, but I want to go to college.''

The White Sox, Ayala said, still decided to draft him in the later, 17th round and offered him $200,000 and a guarantee to fund his college education if baseball doesn't work out.

"That wasn't my number either,'' Ayala said.

Flanked by his father and two advisers familiar with the baseball draft process, Ayala said he was weighing his options carefully. Baseball has until July 13th to sign their drafted players and more substantial offers can come between now and then.

"But everybody is glad right now that I'm going to college,'' Ayala said. "The offer just wasn't there.''

Major League baseball, unlike most other professional sports, regularly draft young athletes and develop them in their own minor league farm systems. Students like Ayala who are capable of attending college can face the task of choosing between using a college scholarship and playing NCAA baseball versus going pro and working at baseball full-time in the minor leagues.

Ayala said if he agreed to sign with Major League Baseball, he would have to leave within days for the team's rookie league and forgo college for now. If he attends college, Ayala can be drafted again after his junior year at UCSB.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/college...19bb2963f4.html

Thomas McCarthy sat on his couch Wednesday with University of Kentucky baseball teammate Austin Cousino resting between moving into a new apartment when his phone went off with a series of text messages.

He kept getting congratulation sent to him. McCarthy didn’t know why, but Cousino guessed McCarthy was taken in the Major League Baseball draft.

Cousino checked the Internet, and he was right. The Chicago White Sox picked McCarthy in the 18th round with the 561st overall pick.

“It’s a great day for me,” McCarthy said. “The White Sox talked to me before the draft, and said they were interested. But I didn’t get my hopes up too much.”

McCarthy hadn’t heard from the White Sox before he found out about the selection. He expected a call before the pick was made, so he was cautiously optimistic when he initially found out.

The official news came from the White Sox minutes after he started reading about the pick on the Internet.

McCarthy, third baseman for the Wildcats the last two seasons, concluded a stellar four-year career with three different teams.

The Crescent Valley High alum’s development as a consistent hitter and fielder made him one of the top collegiate players in the nation.

“I’m really excited for this opportunity, and the White Sox have a great team and organization,” McCarthy said. “Chicago is a great city. My girlfriend is from there, so her family is thrilled.”

He plans to sign his contract today and then go to Arizona in a few days for a mini camp. The White Sox will then assign him to one of their minor league affiliates, most likely one of the rookie level teams in Bristol, Va., or Great Falls, Mont.

McCarthy anchored third base for all 63 games for the Wildcats this season and hit .310 (75-for-242) with 20 doubles, five home runs and 33 RBIs.

In his two-year career, McCarthy hit .338 (153 for 452) with 39 doubles, two triples, 12 home runs and 72 RBIs. He also stole 12 bases.

McCarthy hit .371 (78 for 210) during 2011, including a .411 average during Southeastern Conference play.

After Crescent Valley, he made stops at Division II Western Oregon and Feather River College in Northern California before McCarthy found a home at Kentucky. He even played for the Corvallis Knights one summer.

McCarthy has one more term at Kentucky before he finishes his degree, so he plans to return in the fall.

“I have to work the schedule out for that,” McCarthy said. “I want to get my degree, and start my baseball career.”

Read more: http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/college...l#ixzz1x7YDckbA

Sam Ayala was almost drafted in the fourth round by the St. Louis Cardinals, but the team's offer wasn't substantial enough to persuade Ayala to give up his full scholarship at UCSB.

Call me confused, it would not even be the worst thing that I've been called this week, but I'm not understanding the process here. If I am understanding this statement correctly, the Cardinals offered this guy a contract prior to being drafted. I didn't know that you could do that. I thought that you had to draft them first and then get them to sign.

What am I missing? :huh:

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)

Call me confused, it would not even be the worst thing that I've been called this week, but I'm not understanding the process here. If I am understanding this statement correctly, the Cardinals offered this guy a contract prior to being drafted. I didn't know that you could do that. I thought that you had to draft them first and then get them to sign.

What am I missing? :huh:

Knowing that he'd be a tough sign, they probably called him early in the 4th round and said "Hey, we're thinking of drafting you this round and we're willing to offer this amount. What do you think?"

Then when he told them it wasn't enough they moved on to another player on their board

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Knowing that he'd be a tough sign, they probably called him early in the 4th round and said "Hey, we're thinking of drafting you this round and we're willing to offer this amount. What do you think?"

Then when he told them it wasn't enough they moved on to another player on their board

I didn't know that they could do that.

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_20...league-baseball

First baseman Abe Ruiz was chosen by the Chicago White Sox (16th), relief pitcher Nick Grim was drafted by the Orioles (17th) and reliever Michael Aldrete got a call from the St. Louis Cardinals (39th).

This is the second time Ruiz and Grim have been chosen in the MLB draft, with Ruiz being drafted in 2008 by the San Francisco Giants and Grim last summer by the Miami Marlins.

Ruiz, who was drafted in the 49th round by the Giants out of Pacific Grove four years ago, went in the 16th to the White Sox after leading Arizona State in home runs and runs batted in.

"It's a great honor, not just for me, but for all the people that have helped me,'' said Ruiz, who was a third team All-American this past year for the Sun Devils.

The 6-3, 230-pound Ruiz hit .305 for Arizona State from the heart of the order, belting 13 home runs while driving in 53 runs in 56 games.

"Coming into my senior year and coming off an ankle injury, I knew I had to prove myself,'' Ruiz said. "This school reloads with talent. I got off to a great start. I got my confidence going.''

Ruiz, 22, had contact with 25 teams, including the White Sox. He expects to sign soon and be in Arizona before the weekend.

"I'll either end up in Montana or Connecticut,'' Ruiz said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm guessing if the kid bought 16 hats, odds are pretty good he is signing quickly.

All the college seniors will sign quickly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
I think technically they can't, but everyone does it anyway.

I don't think there's any rule against it. Signability is explicitly a factor in the draft. Laumann talks about it all the time so there's no implied rule. That's why MLB made the new rules. They wanted people to be taken based on talent alone and not bonus demands. Ayala's case is a little bit different because it sounds like he just wanted to go to college unless he was blown away. Most of the problem cases have been Boras related where they intend to go pro, but Boras will hold you hostage for more money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm guessing this means Beck is up here to sign.

Chris Beck ‏@WatchurBeck

Then Chicago to Arizona Monday!!! Gotta get organized real quick

I tweeted him and asked if that means he has signed yet.

Chris Beck ‏@WatchurBeck

@JoeCoolMan24 not yet! But here soon I will!!

The top few round players will report to Chicago for a physical then sign their contracts there before heading to Arizona.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm guessing this means Beck is up here to sign.

Chris Beck ‏@WatchurBeck

Then Chicago to Arizona Monday!!! Gotta get organized real quick

http://www.waow.com/story/18734351/uwsps-j...-with-white-sox

UWSP's Jirschele signs free-agent deal with White Sox

Posted: Jun 07, 2012 11:24 PM CDT

STEVENS POINT, Wis. – Former UW-Stevens Point infielder Justin Jirschele (Clintonville, WI/Clintonville) came one step closer to reaching his dream on Thursday afternoon, signing a free agent contract with the Chicago White Sox.

Jirschele, who just completed his career with the Pointers, received a call from the White Sox organization the day after Major League Baseball's First Year Player Draft.

"My phone rang, and when I answered, the person on the other end of the line asked me if I wanted to play baseball for the Chicago White Sox," said Jirschele. "I said 'absolutely'!"

Jirschele started all 42 games for the Pointers this season, all but two at second base. The senior led the team in at bats (176) and hits (61) while ranking second in total bases (84) and third in average (.340) and RBIs (33). On the season, the Clintonville product tallied 31 runs, 15 doubles, five stolen bases, two home runs and one triple.

Jirschele also held a team-best 15-game hitting streak and ranked tied for first with 19 multi-hit games. Jirschele, who earned All-WIAC First Team for the third straight season, recorded only five errors on the season for a .974 fielding percentage.

The two-time Gold Glove winner is a product of a strong baseball family. His father Mike coaches the Class AAA affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and his brother Jeremy, a two-time All-American for the UW-Oshkosh Titans, was drafted by the Royals in 2005 and played in the team's system until 2008.

Now Justin will have the opportunity to build on that family tradition. He will report to the team's spring training facility on Saturday for a two-week camp before being assigned to one of the team's two rookie ball teams.

"It's an absolute dream come true," said Jirschele. "I just wanted a chance to play professional baseball and I got that chance today. I just wanted a chance."

Courtesy: UWSP Sports Information

http://www.wifr.com/sports/headlines/White...35.html?ref=635

White Sox Draft Boylan Standout Zach Stoner

The Titans first baseman gets drafted in the 12th round by his favorite team.

Posted: 7:48 PM Jun 5, 2012

The Chicago White Sox drafted Boylan 1st baseman Zach Stoner with the 381st pick in the 12th round. Stoner says a couple of teams were looking at him but the White Sox have been scouting him for a long time. He is currently committed to play baseball at Southern Illinois next year but may change his mind when he visits with White Sox officials tomorrow afternoon. Stoner says he knew he would be drafted but its still hard to believe when you see your name called.

http://www.duquoin.com/news/x721954519/PCH...icago-White-Sox

Pinckneyville, Ill. —

On Thursday afternoon, PCHS graduate Brandon Hardin signed on the dotted line to become the newest member of the Chicago White Sox organization. Hardin was taken with the 231st overall pick in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player draft on Tuesday. The right-hander, who is fresh off of a runner-up finish in the DII College World Series with Delta State, will report to minicamp in Arizona this Saturday before his next assignment in either Grand Falls, Minnesota or Bristol, Tennessee.

g12c00000000000000030517273ea350c76889ba