2012 White Sox draft picks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:00 AM)
If you're a pro prospect you'd make all-conference in the Chicago area. I can promise that.

Yeah. Those All-Conference teams are usually based on numbers and reputation. He obviously didn't have either, which should say something. He must have been drafted as a favor to his dad. The Sox do that all the time with no intent on actually signing the player.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kridd @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
This list keeps a running total of where the club stands in regards to they're pool money.

Signings

Thanks for that. So if they are $300,000 under budget, that means they could offer someone past round 10, $400,000 to sign, and still not go over their allotment, right?

If you're a pro prospect you'd make all-conference in the Chicago area. I can promise that.

Haha well...I've seen otherwise even down here in the boonies

Sure, there are some politics involved, but the good players make all-conference. If the kid was a pro prospect, he'd have made it. I absolutely agree with you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
Thanks for that. So if they are $300,000 under budget, that means they could offer someone past round 10, $400,000 to sign, and still not go over their allotment, right?

Thats correct.

QUOTE (Kridd @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Thats correct.

So next question would be, is there anyone of of the picks that is still unsigned that is worth going that far over slot for? I know Ayala generated some talk with potentially being a much earlier pick.

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/2012/06/1...te-sox/axtz4sb/

Extra innings: The Sox are expected to announce the signing of first-round pick Courtney Hawkins before Monday night’s game. Hawkins agreed to a $2.475 million signing bonus Wednesday. St. John’s pitcher Kyle Hansen, a sixth-round pick, also is expected to sign. ...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
So next question would be, is there anyone of of the picks that is still unsigned that is worth going that far over slot for? I know Ayala generated some talk with potentially being a much earlier pick.

I know he said 200,000 was absolutely not what he was looking for...I wonder if what he wants is more like $1M or more like the 400-500k we can offer.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 12:31 AM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

#WhiteSox signed 6th-rder Kyle Hansen for $250k ($180k pick value). St. John's RHP, low 90s to 96 FB, brother of Craig. #mlbdraft

So that leaves The Sox with a surplus of about $230k to which they could over pay a later pick. The entire top 10 is signed.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/6/19/3096...-spending-trend

In the process, the White Sox ended up reversing their trend of decreased spending in a big way. The White Sox had $5,915,100 to spend across their first 10 picks, and they came surprisingly close to using it all, especially when looking at entire budgets from previous seasons:

2008: $4,663,500

2009: $4,178,600

2010: $3,930,200

2011: $2,786,300*

2012: $5,360,000**

(*2011's numbers are skewed by the lack of a first-round pick.)

(**The official bonuses for Kyle Hansen (sixth round) and Jose Barraza (seventh) haven't been added to Baseball America's Draft Database, but if both players received the recommended pool amount, the Sox will have spent $5,686,300. Barraza was said to have signed for over slot, but when a report uses "200-thousand dollars" instead of "$200,000," it doesn't look all that official.)

UCLA pitcher Eric Jaffe (11th round) is the top current holdout, but he can't sign until after the College World Series. BA considers him signable as a draft-eligible sophomore. Out of players who can actually sign, junior college pitcher Derek Thompson (13th round) is the top pick without terms. He says he's "leaning toward signing," although that should be taken with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
Is there a slotting system in place for picks after the 11th round? Do teams get penalized if they spend over a certain amount?

After the 10th round there's no slotting, it's all the same. You can sign the pick for up to $100,000 without it counting against your budget. I think after that it has to come from signing previous picks for under slot.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Ayala sounds like an interesting potential prospect. Wouldn't mind if they try to sign him with some of the leftovers.

From an article someone posted earlier it sounded like he wants more than the Sox can give under the rules. He won't sign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Baseball America ‏@BaseballAmerica

#WhiteSox fans, your team signed all picks from top 10 rounds & $159K under budget

New system was a win/win for Sox and fans.

Wow - a little over two weeks after the draft, and the Sox have signed 28 of their first 32 picks. The only remaining ones are Eric Jaffe (11th, and his post-season just ended recently), Derek Thompson (13th), Jordan Guerrero (15th) and Sammy Ayala (17th, would need serious overslot money). Not bad.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Wow - a little over two weeks after the draft, and the Sox have signed 28 of their first 32 picks. The only remaining ones are Eric Jaffe (11th, and his post-season just ended recently), Derek Thompson (13th), Jordan Guerrero (15th) and Sammy Ayala (17th, would need serious overslot money). Not bad.

Can't teams go over budget without consequences as long as it's not more than 5%? If so, we should have more than $200k to throw at a guy like Ayala right?