2012 White Sox draft picks

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Very surprised and impressed by the Sox signings this year. They've been able to agree to terms with a number of players we wouldn't have in the past. I guess this new bonus/slot system really did help us out.

New system made all the difference.

• 5 months later...
CHICAGO -- Add yet another highly-touted outfield prospect to the Chicago White Sox system, as the club moved this week to sign TCU product Jason Coats.

Coats, a slugging left fielder, was selected in the 29th round by the White Sox in June despite suffering an ACL tear just weeks before the draft. Not only a .334 career hitter in his four seasons at TCU, Coats also drove in 201 runs and hit 33 home runs. His 69 career doubles are a school record.

His stock fell considerably after the May 20 injury, suffered while he was rounding first base in a game against San Diego State. Since Coats was a senior, the club had until May to sign him. He graduated last spring with a degree in accounting.

Coats' deal included a $1,000 signing bonus, making it a low-risk proposition for a player that could have a big upside. There are no indications on how long it will be before Coats is back to full speed.

The White Sox already boast a strong collection of outfield prospects that include Courtney Hawkins, Trayce Thompson, Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell. Coats would have plenty of catching up to do before reaching the level of that group.

Link

Top page of this thread already has him bolded but article makes it seem like they just signed him this week. Looks like he could be a decent depth guy

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1191270...l-be-overlooked

Jason Coats, OF (TCU)

After electing to forgo entering the league for the first time in 2009, Jason Coats will hope that his two more years of hard work will pay off with a higher selection in this year's draft.

Originally selected by the Orioles during the 12th round in 2009, Coats decided to return to TCU after having a standout sophomore season. He didn't have quite the leap some may have expected during his junior year, but Coats rallied with a strong senior campaign to make himself known to scouts once more.

While Coats had an impressive career at TCU, he never quite re-gained the deep-ball power he exhibited during his sophomore season (in which he went long 13 times), causing some scouts to question his potential.

However, Coats' consistency and ability to hit the gaps, combined with above-average speed, should make him an enticing option to teams in the middle rounds. If Coats can also rediscover his bat power, he could become a potential sleeper grab for a team down the line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)

A $1000.00 signing bonus with 25% withheld due to being construed as "special compensation". League minimum of about $1400 per month pre tax in season only while a rostered player.

Believe me it is a tough row to hoe! Family support is critical for the first several years when working with those numbers!

My guy has an off season job, which is very fortunate given the economy we are living through. But his focus needs to remain being prepared for Spring Training, which requires hours of work each day as well.

All my best to Jason Coats! Welcome aboard! I hope you have an outstanding season!

QUOTE (floridafan @ Jan 10, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
A $1000.00 signing bonus with 25% withheld due to being construed as "special compensation". League minimum of about $1400 per month pre tax in season only while a rostered player.

Believe me it is a tough row to hoe! Family support is critical for the first several years when working with those numbers!

My guy has an off season job, which is very fortunate given the economy we are living through. But his focus needs to remain being prepared for Spring Training, which requires hours of work each day as well.

All my best to Jason Coats! Welcome aboard! I hope you have an outstanding season!

I loved watching my 2 kids grow up, marry, have kids etc.... However, I did not have one who was a good enough ball player to get a shot. Glad you are in position to be able to help out when he needs it. Enjoy every chance you get to see him play and I hope his journey takes him to the Sox eventually. Good luck!!