Midcentury Modern

iamshack

QUOTE (G&T @ May 19, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
Is there anything worse than having to deal with a wife during house negotiations? No. Seriously, whatever the hell anyone asks, she is willing to pay, and more. And who is the bad guy for not jumping so fast? Me.

Yeah, been there, done that.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Shack, just looked at a mid-century home in River Forest. Its need alot of work but the style was super intriguing. First one I've seen like that.

Yeah, they are usually really well-designed in terms of use of space.

There are a lot of Wright-influenced designs in the Chicagoland suburbs, particularly in the northern suburbs.

Keep us posted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Yeah, they are usually really well-designed in terms of use of space.

There are a lot of Wright-influenced designs in the Chicagoland suburbs, particularly in the northern suburbs.

Keep us posted.

There's a Wright house in La Grange I liked. It's only 1.095M. Down from 1.5M a year ago. Such a deal!

http://www.mredllc.com/myListing.asp?ln=07...9#&panel1-1

Edit: How'd you like to spend over a million for a ONE bathroom house.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
There's a Wright house in La Grange I liked. It's only 1.25M. Down from 1.5M a year ago. Such a deal!

Yeah, the actual Wright designs are landmarks now...but there are plenty of homes designed by architects who used his influences and are more within a reasonable price range.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
There's a Wright house in La Grange I liked. It's only 1.095M. Down from 1.5M a year ago. Such a deal!

Edit: How'd you like to spend over a million for a ONE bathroom house.

I looked at a house in the historic district in Oak park and it was priced around 800k just because the house was located NEXT to a FLW house. 500k anywhere else.

We have an oral agreement. Just waiting on the addendum to the contract to be signed. House came in $85k less than contracted price (appraised at $375k). Paid $25k above appraisal to get the deal done.

Phew...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Floors come out nice?

Beautiful. Only thing I'm waiting on is the new fridge and washer/dryer we ordered. Got all my other appliances in this week (Bosh stove, microwave, and dishwasher). Fridge doesn't come till Friday though. I feel very poor though, spent a little more then we had originally planned (weren't planning on buying new washer/dryer but the wife wanted em and figured no better time then when you were moving).

But little things are expensive...such as putting on new doorknobs...good grief. I didn't realize what I had done. I almost went digging through the trash to get my old ones back, haha. House is nice...wish it was bigger, but should be perfect for our soon to be growing family. When we get the shutters and everything in, I'll share some pictures of our flooring, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Beautiful. Only thing I'm waiting on is the new fridge and washer/dryer we ordered. Got all my other appliances in this week (Bosh stove, microwave, and dishwasher). Fridge doesn't come till Friday though.

Sweet....wife happy?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
Yep....but like me, feeling poor. There will be lots of chicken, veggie and rice stir fry dinners at home while we start to build our savings back up, haha.

Yeah, I hear you...but this is why you worked so hard for that money to begin with...to spend it on the place you hope to raise a family in.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)

Yeah, that is beautiful, Sqwert...

The home we are buying is really amazing in that it was built in '55 and always used only as a guest home. Almost all of it is in original, pristine condition because of the lack of wear and tear. We are hoping to add on down the road (maybe in 5 years or so) to make it a bit larger and to update some things. One of the things I'd love to add is an atrium. First step is to add a pool though. We're going to start talking to some pool design companies probably within the next few weeks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
Yeah, that is beautiful, Sqwert...

The home we are buying is really amazing in that it was built in '55 and always used only as a guest home. Almost all of it is in original, pristine condition because of the lack of wear and tear. We are hoping to add on down the road (maybe in 5 years or so) to make it a bit larger and to update some things. One of the things I'd love to add is an atrium. First step is to add a pool though. We're going to start talking to some pool design companies probably within the next few weeks.

Awesome. Congrats!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)
Awesome. Congrats!

Thanks...so the woman we bought it from was reasonably famous back in the '50's and '60's...she dated Sam Giancana for the better part of 15 years or so...apparently there have been all kinds of famous friends of hers and mob buddies of his that used to stay there...I'm determined to try and become friendly with her (she lives in a huge mansion next door) and try and get some good stories out of her...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 15, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Congrats shack! Will need some pics when it's finalized!

Anyone ever go through a short sale? So far all the best places tend to be short sales where I'm looking.

We did a short sale and it worked out well, although it can be a very time-consuming process. We put in an offer, waited about 30-40 days for the bank to counter. We countered again, then it took another 30 days to get a response. But once they accepted it, they demanded a closing within like 3 or 4 weeks. The couple living there was moving out of town but were just under water on their mortgage, so they kept the place in good shape until it was sold. And we were able to get a full inspection in to make sure nothing was f***ed up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Thanks...so the woman we bought it from was reasonably famous back in the '50's and '60's...she dated Sam Giancana for the better part of 15 years or so...apparently there have been all kinds of famous friends of hers and mob buddies of his that used to stay there...I'm determined to try and become friendly with her (she lives in a huge mansion next door) and try and get some good stories out of her...

That's pretty awesome.

Closing day today....closed on my house Friday, so spent much of last week packing and moving everything into the POD...then this weekend at the girlfriend's parents' house...I'm ready to get this move over with and never move again...or never do it myself again, anyways...have the walkthrough and the signing this morning, then have to wait for it to fund and record before hopefully getting the keys this afternoon...thank goodness.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Closing day today....closed on my house Friday, so spent much of last week packing and moving everything into the POD...then this weekend at the girlfriend's parents' house...I'm ready to get this move over with and never move again...or never do it myself again, anyways...have the walkthrough and the signing this morning, then have to wait for it to fund and record before hopefully getting the keys this afternoon...thank goodness.

Congrats/good luck on the last steps!

Closed on Monday, moved in yesterday...just got the internet hooked up, satellite is next...everything is starting to come together...this place is amazing...although I am already cringing about the water bill...i think we have about 100 different sprinklers coming off and on and all different parts of the day.