Midcentury Modern

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Yeah, Oak Park and River Forest Houses in general are going to cost a million if they are nice, as a FLW for sure 1 million and up. However my price range in downtown Chicago right now is laughable for what I am getting anyway.

I think you should substitute "historic" with "nice". You can find some nice houses in Oak Park for 450,000 or less, you might just be away from the center.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
I think you should substitute "historic" with "nice". You can find some nice houses in Oak Park for 450,000 or less, you might just be away from the center.

Of the size that a typical Wright home is though? He was building mansions for rich people for the most part.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
Of the size that a typical Wright home is though? He was building mansions for rich people for the most part.

Yeah, Oak Park and River Forest Houses in general are going to cost a million if they are nice

FLW isn't a "in general" house in Oak Park, though many imitate the prairie style. The problem is the houses were a little older (charming), but can have some very strange layouts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
Don't forget about Tucker/Norm ("Who goes to Santiago, Chile twice in one year?" and Pat Healy ("Really it's only a side thing for my true passion...I work with retards.")

LOL

Norm: Really? Where would I have seen your work?

Pat Healy: Well, have you been to, uh well, let me see... Santiago, Chile?

Norm: Twice last year. Which building's yours?

Pat Healy: Are you familiar with the soccer stadium?

Norm: Did you build the Estadio Olimpico?

Pat Healy: No, just down the street the Celinto Catayente.... Towers. It's quite a fine example, in fact. I recommend that next time you're up that way that you drop in and take a gander at it yourself.

Looked at an old home (by Vegas standards) today in what was once the most prestigious neighborhood in Las Vegas (there are only 26 homes in the entire subdivision). Pretty incredible old home (although it now needs quite a bit of work). Really intrigued, if I can get it for the right price. That, and Holly Madison just bought a home back there. :)

Here is one of my favorite shots I took today.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Looked at an old home (by Vegas standards) today in what was once the most prestigious neighborhood in Las Vegas (there are only 26 homes in the entire subdivision). Pretty incredible old home (although it now needs quite a bit of work). Really intrigued, if I can get it for the right price. That, and Holly Madison just bought a home back there. :)

Here is one of my favorite shots I took today.

Whoa, that's pretty neat looking. I'm digging the trees set in the stone.

What sort of work does it need?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:19 PM)
Whoa, that's pretty neat looking. I'm digging the trees set in the stone.

What sort of work does it need?

It's currently owned by an 80 year old widow. As you might imagine, it sort of has the look of a home owned by an 80 year old woman...a lot of renovations would need to be done to the inside, the land needs a lot of landscaping, pool needs to be resurfaced, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
It's currently owned by an 80 year old widow. As you might imagine, it sort of has the look of a home owned by an 80 year old woman...a lot of renovations would need to be done to the inside, the land needs a lot of landscaping, pool needs to be resurfaced, etc.

I was going to say that I have an image in my mind of what I assume you want it to look like, and that includes repainting the house etc. You have to glam up a sweet house like that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)

Green carpet and pink drapes everywhere?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
Green carpet and pink drapes everywhere?

Hah, not quite that bad...a lot of very light colors though...white or light carpeting, bathrooms and kitchen fairly untouched since the late 70's or early 80's...den has the wood paneling on the walls...property has lots of huge olive and palm trees that need work, there is a freaking tennis court that needs to be either resurfaced or demo'd...that sort of stuff.

But the bones of the house are sweet, and the property is very, very unique as far as Vegas goes.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
About to put in an offer with the girlfriend on a pristine mcm on an acre that was the "guesthouse" of Phyllis McGuire...have learned all kinds of crazy things about water rights and community wells this morning...

Nice, post some pics when you get a chance.

I'm about 2 weeks away from listing my condo, and looking really hard now for a SFH in the area. Unfortunately there isnt much so its drawing me up to wicker park/ bucktown.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
That doesnt look like Vegas at all. Nice.

The pictures really don't do it justice...i wasn't expecting to get to see it yesterday, so I had to go from work and could only take pictures with my phone, so the pictures sort of suck.

The crazy thing about it is almost everything is original...all that wood and brick is in amazing condition because the home was only used as a guest house. So it's basically been sparsely inhabited by pseudo celebrities since it was built in '55. I've walked through a lot of these homes in the area, and this is by far the most pristine and well-cared for example I have ever seen in person. We are offering list, and hoping they take it, but we are doing conventional financing and I know they would prefer cash, so I am prepared to lose it. I can at least sleep at night knowing we gave it our best shot.

So now we wait...