Bulls make offer for KLove

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
Again. The move, at least in my scenario, then allows you to amnesty Boozer, trade Taj, and add another star.

I wouldn't hate trading Taj/Butler/Boozer and picks or whatever the speculated deal is one bit, I'm just much more intrigued by Rose/Love/Melo.

Yeah, I understand that was your hypothetical, but obviously there is no way that is happening. Considering the thread started with the rumor of the bulls package for love I'm guessing that's what most people are focusing on, not flipping corey brewer for Melo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
That doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Sounds like sour grapes. To gather a rebound you have to box out (on a man) and be in a good rebounding position. Both of those are huge positives. If he left his man it would most likely be a layup resulting in no rebound. So the theory doesnt correlate.

I don't watch many Wolves games at all, so I'm just relaying what I've heard. I'd love to have Love (not for Noah). I think the theory correlates though in that you don't always have to box out to get a rebound, he can crash the offensive boards when he shouldn't (which leads to fast breaks), and he can selfishly take rebounds from teammates (I heard Lance Stephenson started doing this in the second half of the season to pad his stats for free agency. Heard it from someone reputable on sports radio. Might have been Zach Lowe or someone he was interviewing).

Again, I have no idea if Love actually does this and it very well could be sour grapes. I just don't think it's that unbelievable of a theory

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Yeah, I understand that was your hypothetical, but obviously there is no way that is happening. Considering the thread started with the rumor of the bulls package for love I'm guessing that's what most people are focusing on, not flipping corey brewer for Melo.

Regardless of my hypothetical scenario, if they trade Noah for Love they wouldn't be keeping Boozer, and probably trade Taj as well....Now maybe they don't use that money on Melo, but the money is there to do something. So it wouldn't be Love and Rose with a bunch of rookies surrounding them, there would be more, perhaps much more.

I realize the chances of what I threw out there actually happening are slim to none but something similar would be possible.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Trading Noah for love defeats the purpose for trading for Love, which was presumably to field a better basketball team. Getting a bunch of 10-20 first round rookies to surround him and a broken Rose doesn't really do that.

It extends your window though and you still can make a run at Melo. Not saying I'd do it but something worth considering.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
That doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Sounds like sour grapes. To gather a rebound you have to box out (on a man) and be in a good rebounding position. Both of those are huge positives. If he left his man it would most likely be a layup resulting in no rebound. So the theory doesnt correlate.

That's the point. He/they sucked on defense, and the complaint is that he's too stat driven to give a crap about playing that half of the game.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
The key to Love for Noah vs giving them a lesser package is not giving up their draft picks. Then with Love here they could trade Taj for another 1st rounder. That's 3 first rounders and enough cap room to potentially add another star, or at the very least a guy like Lance Stevenson.

I'd much rather give up the draft picks. Mid-first picks don't usually get you more than a rotation player. You'd also have to fill quite a few holes around Rose and Love since a lot of their current rotation players would be gone. If you end up with something like Lance Stephenson with your money, that's a colossal fail since he's not nearly as useful/as good a fit as Noah. Even if you get Melo, you'd need to somehow find a good defensive center on the cheap to be a real contender. That's also kind of a waste of assets because you're not going to have three 25 PPG scorers on the same roster, someone's production would take a sizeable hit.

I have a very hard time worrying about Love's defense when our starting PF the last several years has been CARLOS BOOZER. It's not really possible for him to be worse than that, and plus/minus ratings suggest Love is closer to a "nuetral player" on defense (for a team that was actually 12th in defensive efficiency this year by the way). It's an issue, but for the Bulls the much more important factor is that he's a brilliant offensive player that would stretch the floor.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
I'd much rather give up the draft picks. Mid-first picks don't usually get you more than a rotation player. You'd also have to fill quite a few holes around Rose and Love since a lot of their current rotation players would be gone. If you end up with something like Lance Stephenson with your money, that's a colossal fail since he's not nearly as useful/as good a fit as Noah. Even if you get Melo, you'd need to somehow find a good defensive center on the cheap to be a real contender. That's also kind of a waste of assets because you're not going to have three 25 PPG scorers on the same roster, someone's production would take a sizeable hit.

I know I keep bring up my hypothetical scenario as if that will actually happen, and I'm aware it's little silly, but again I think Gorgui Dieng can be said good defensive center. Or if you want a veteran presence maybe Emeka Okafor at the vet min might be a good get to split time with Dieng.

As for your final sentence, you're right, but you can't say it wouldn't work after seeing the Heat make 4 straight finals.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
I know I keep bring up my hypothetical scenario as if that will actually happen, and I'm aware it's little silly, but again I think Gorgui Dieng can be said good defensive center. Or if you want a veteran presence maybe Emeka Okafor at the vet min might be a good get to split time with Dieng.

As for your final sentence, you're right, but you can't say it wouldn't work after seeing the Heat make 4 straight finals.

Once again, Gorgui Dieng averaged 13.6 MPG this year. I don't hate him, but he's hardly shown enough to be considered a "good defensive center." Besides quality of defense, minutes is a big deal. When you factor in games where Dieng didn't play, Joakim had close to 3 1/2 times as many minutes played. He's probably not playing anywhere near that workload, which means you end up counting on lesser players to carry your defense. You'd really need someone (or more likely 2 or 3 guys) that is more dependable given the defensive shortcomings of your forwards.

The Heat get away with a lot of things because of Lebron. Not only does he score 25-plus on relatively few shots, he can guard virtually anyone when he feels like it. Bosh is a legit defender as well, albiet with strength issues in the post. The Bulls would have two guys that they need to hide defensively when they're on the floor in their "Big 3", and while good, none of those hypothetical guys are Lebron on offense either.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Once again, Gorgui Dieng averaged 13.6 MPG this year. I don't hate him, but he's hardly shown enough to be considered a "good defensive center." Besides quality of defense, minutes is a big deal. When you factor in games where Dieng didn't play, Joakim had close to 3 1/2 times as many minutes played. He's probably not playing anywhere near that workload, which means you end up counting on lesser players to carry your defense. You'd really need someone (or more likely 2 or 3 guys) that is more dependable given the defensive shortcomings of your forwards.

The Heat get away with a lot of things because of Lebron. Not only does he score 25-plus on relatively few shots, he can guard virtually anyone when he feels like it. Bosh is a legit defender as well, albiet with strength issues in the post. The Bulls would have two guys that they need to hide defensively when they're on the floor in their "Big 3", and while good, none of those hypothetical guys are Lebron on offense either.

Extremely small sample size, but in his last 9 games Dieng averaged 31 min scoring 11.9 ppg, 10.7 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game.

A little larger sample size but less minutes, post ASB in 27 games he averaged 22 min 8.9/8.4/1.2 in those same categories above.

Thoughts on Okafor? Why didn't he play last year?

Point taken on the Heat big 3 vs Rose/Melo/Love. I still think under Thibs those guys would at least be in the right position to succeed defensively.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
Extremely small sample size, but in his last 9 games Dieng averaged 31 min scoring 11.9 ppg, 10.7 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game.

A little larger sample size but less minutes, post ASB in 27 games he averaged 22 min 8.9/8.4/1.2 in those same categories above.

Thoughts on Okafor? Why didn't he play last year?

Point taken on the Heat big 3 vs Rose/Melo/Love. I still think under Thibs those guys would at least be in the right position to succeed defensively.

Yeah, I saw his numbers. They're extremely skewed towards the end of the year when Pekovic was out. As I pointed out, he didn't even have 20 games where he played more than 15 MPG. There's also a difference between stats and actual on-court value. Example: Derrick Favors put up 13-9-1.5 this year and the Jazz were still terrible defensively. It'd be asking a lot for him to be your defensive anchor on a team that would desperately need one.

Okafor had a herniated disc in his neck and missed the entire season. I don't even know if he's going to play.