Ynoa piece....very encouraging

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Does anyone ever look bad in spring training on the practice field? Just take the encouraging things about Jesse Crain. You would think he has at least a minor shot of being on the opening day roster, but I actually read from some insider non fluff piece, the Sox are "hoping" to get him in a spring training game as some point, so really, if Will Ferrell can play spring training games, Jesse Crain isn't close.

Ynoa may be a decent pick up. But until he starts showing how great he looks in games that count, I take all the good reports with a grain of salt. His ERA was over 5.00 in high A last year.

Just to point this out, Ynoa's ERA in A+ last year means very little. He pitched entirely in relief for one thing, so ERA just isn't a useful measure. More indicative of his performance are the 8.4 H/9 rate (which is good), 4.1 BB/9 rate (which is marginal to OK) and 12.6 K/9 rate (which is excellent). His ERA was at least partially effected by a fairly inflated .349 BABIP-allowed.

He went into that A+ season as a 22 year old with only about a hundred pro innings under his belt and no college ball, so that's just a hundred innings of post-high-school (equivalent) ball.

Here's our profile on Ynoa if you want some further background.

spring training, now that baseball is starting, it starts there, in spring training. we as fans can see, gage and analyze prospects and newly signed players, players that is going to make a difference in this team. plus to see how the future is looking.

this is a passion for me, and i sure for many, but lack of other news coming out, the fans are craving for news.

the competition is great, can't wait for the season to start.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Just to point this out, Ynoa's ERA in A+ last year means very little. He pitched entirely in relief for one thing, so ERA just isn't a useful measure. More indicative of his performance are the 8.4 H/9 rate (which is good), 4.1 BB/9 rate (which is marginal to OK) and 12.6 K/9 rate (which is excellent). His ERA was at least partially effected by a fairly inflated .349 BABIP-allowed.

He went into that A+ season as a 22 year old with only about a hundred pro innings under his belt and no college ball, so that's just a hundred innings of post-high-school (equivalent) ball.

Here's our profile on Ynoa if you want some further background.

I hope he's good, but the reason he has 100 innings under his belt since his debut in 2010 is a huge red flag. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think guys with arm problems in their teens and early 20's tend not to put that behind them as they get older. I would guess he is going to be a reliever.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
I hope he's good, but the reason he has 100 innings under his belt since his debut in 2010 is a huge red flag. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think guys with arm problems in their teens and early 20's tend not to put that behind them as they get older. I would guess he is going to be a reliever.

Well yeah, Hahn even said he's a reliever pretty much permanently now. He's a lottery ticket relief prospect, big stuff if healthy - you want guys like that in the system.

But I was responding to your characterization of his season by using his ERA in A+ last year, which just isn't an indicator of anything useful.

Translation: Dick Allen, not useful.

But I jest. I've already exonerated him for losing our Gordon Beckham bet, where he incessantly vilified me for a couple of weeks for being negative and "rooting for a Sox player to do poorly (hitting under .240 was the prediction)," that I wasn't a real fan, was a miserable person, didn't come to games or buy season tickets, etc.

Nevertheless, he still needs his fix of taking shots at Don Cooper and protecting Gordon Beckham. Probably not the right side of the argument to be on at this point for most Sox fans.

So this year, it's on again....I'm predicting Gordo will be over .270 with no pressure at all on him. It's not that I WANTED him to do poorly, it's just that 2010-2014 taught us to expect nothing different...like pounding a round peg into a square hole or vice-versa.

FWIW, I enjoy MR. ALLEN (couldn't write I enjoy DICK without envisioning Beavis and Butthead) about 80-85% of the time (haha, assigning percentages is always fun)...especially when it comes down to discussions about team finances/business aspects of the game/economics principles.

Overall, he's one of my favorite posters, along with Marty and TUC. Always having complete agreement or enforced acceptance of a certain viewpoint/censorship will destroy a board. And I've probably had as many run-ins and arguments with Kyyle and Northside as he has...maybe more. Their bark is worse than their bite (waits nervously to be banned while enjoying chicken tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce at Applebee's with Ozzie and Ozney in Lawrence after B12 tourney game).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
"Hating on" (for lack of better words) Cooper and protecting Beckham are very clear, contrarian points here. I will never shy away from an argument but even still, bucking the consensus so brazenly with no real argument other than to nitpick and concentrate on one small part of the other poster's responses just seems like a type of banter you can't classify as constructive. But you are right, Dick Allen is a very good poster most of the time. I wouldn't necessarily lump him in with Marty and TUC either. DA is here because he loves the Sox. I am not sure why Marty was here and TUC was here because he loves hearing himself talk.

As far as Kyyle and NSS, what bite do they even have? No one gets threatened and mods/admins only use the ban-hammer when guys are proud proponents of drunk drivers. Have you been gone from WSI so long that you forgot what the alternative is? I remember them changing your thread titles to mock you and threatening to ban you for having an opinion. Quite the contrast at SoxTalk.

The worst thing about it was that invited my best friend to that board...we grew up together being huge White Sox fans our whole lives, and the mods there starting getting over him within a week or so about his opinions on music or something that had nothing to do with the game of baseball. I ended up feeling really badly, my friend quickly gave up posting there and then I just ended up asking to receive a lifetime ban. Those guys honestly didn't deserve the privilege of running a board and pissing off lots of good Sox fans in the process.

As for Marty, I think at one point he just completely stopped responding because we'd ALWAYS argue and aggravate each other. It was like ncorgbl in the good 'ol days....some thought he was Joe Cowley, haha, although that's doubtful/dubious at best.

I guess the other thing is that when you have a baby, even though it's the biggest cliche in the book....it puts things in perspective and you realize how idiotic getting upset about an anonymous message board (about something that's one of your shared passions in life with other posters) truly is. Maybe TUC started to understand that in the end, after he realized drawing attention to yourself, your opinions and your writing style is only 25% of contributing to a forum such as this one.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Translation: Dick Allen, not useful.

But I jest. I've already exonerated him for losing our Gordon Beckham bet, where he incessantly vilified me for a couple of weeks for being negative and "rooting for a Sox player to do poorly (hitting under .240 was the prediction)," that I wasn't a real fan, was a miserable person, didn't come to games or buy season tickets, etc.

Nevertheless, he still needs his fix of taking shots at Don Cooper and protecting Gordon Beckham. Probably not the right side of the argument to be on at this point for most Sox fans.

So this year, it's on again....I'm predicting Gordo will be over .270 with no pressure at all on him. It's not that I WANTED him to do poorly, it's just that 2010-2014 taught us to expect nothing different...like pounding a round peg into a square hole or vice-versa.

FWIW, I enjoy MR. ALLEN (couldn't write I enjoy DICK without envisioning Beavis and Butthead) about 80-85% of the time (haha, assigning percentages is always fun)...especially when it comes down to discussions about team finances/business aspects of the game/economics principles.

Overall, he's one of my favorite posters, along with Marty and TUC. Always having complete agreement or enforced acceptance of a certain viewpoint/censorship will destroy a board. And I've probably had as many run-ins and arguments with Kyyle and Northside as he has...maybe more. Their bark is worse than their bite (waits nervously to be banned while enjoying chicken tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce at Applebee's with Ozzie and Ozney in Lawrence after B12 tourney game).

What the...