Biggest What Ifs in White Sox History, Part 2

Quin

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Want to thank Daniel for publishing my stories after I send them to him. Always appreciated.

Mark

I want to thank you for giving me awesome stories, Mark.

It is unbelievable how many moves could have altered the course of history. On the flip side, an interesting series might be on what if the Sox didn't do X?

It still amazes me though how poorly the Sox (under numerous regime's) have been from a business perspective. That said, I don't have much appreciation for other teams history in relation to the business side, but those TV situations were brutal. Of course, I don't know how key TV revenue's were at that time (I presume the dynamic then was bulk of the revenue was from ticket sales vs. nowadays where the bulk of the revenue is from tv contracts).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
It is unbelievable how many moves could have altered the course of history. On the flip side, an interesting series might be on what if the Sox didn't do X?

It still amazes me though how poorly the Sox (under numerous regime's) have been from a business perspective. That said, I don't have much appreciation for other teams history in relation to the business side, but those TV situations were brutal. Of course, I don't know how key TV revenue's were at that time (I presume the dynamic then was bulk of the revenue was from ticket sales vs. nowadays where the bulk of the revenue is from tv contracts).

The TV revenue was much less back then as opposed to today of course. But the real issue was "exposure". A whole generation grew up basically not being able to watch the Sox and the impact is being felt even today.

Many of those kids turned out to be Cub fans because they could actually watch them play. Those kids are now parents and grand parents and their family members are probably Cub fans as well.

It was just another missed opportunity to 'take back' their own city that they dominated during the Golden Age from 1951 through 1967.

Sadly the Sox probably will never get that chance again. They had a shot after 2005 but were not able to get to the playoffs consistently which is absolutely what you need to sustain and build a fan base. Getting in once every seven or eight years simply won't do that.

Mark