Meryl Streep; Keith Olbermann

greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
The problem is he's following your words and there is a disconnect. The specific phrase he's going after is "sit back and enjoy life". You're not even defending that yourself in the 2nd part of this. What you just said is fundamentally different from "sit back and enjoy life".

Exactly this.

His original words were "of course you're enjoying life, you're a white male". You know, because being a white male automagically means I don't have to try...everything just comes to me. And it's easy. No, not easier than others, perhaps sometimes, but just easier...always...we don't have to do anything...we're awarded the golden ticket at birth, and then just sit back and collect.

As you said, what he originally said and what he just said now are fundamentally different.

As I alluded too, just because it's easier, doesn't make it easy.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Strange shot for sure. She says if you remove the arts, all you have is football and mixed martial ARTS. It's all inclusive of all international disciplines of combat but to some out of touch actress it's just white guys apparently.

Once you get to college and the real world that changes really quick. When you're a white male and you're never eligible for scholarships other than the ones that were built into the school's admission standards. If you're a woman, black, mexican, etc. you would have been able to save some student debt. White privilege basically made it so I couldn't get any financial aid (my parents were both college educated and employed) while I paid for the majority of my college on my own. The kid who grew up four houses down from me ended up at a great school and the same company as me and he had no debt upon graduation because he got a boatload of scholarship money because his dad is from Cuba. My mom's family is from Ireland and grew up in poverty in the city and I get nothing for it.

The same kid ended up at our future employer as an intern after his sophomore year because of a program only available to individuals of African America and Latin American descent. This is a very competitive international brand that has reduced standards of hiring and a specific program for Latin and African Americans. They would make signs and pass out t shirts at colleges and get paid the same I would for working. You could imagine my frustration when they told me I couldn't get an internship until after my junior year at the earliest and then see my same-aged neighbor tells me over Thanksgiving break and that he got an internship from the same place during our sophomore year.

At the end of the day, the idea of white privilege kind of falls apart when you look at who's achieving in this country. Jewish, Chinese and Arabic (if you extract them from "caucasian" designation) people all earn more than white people on average in America. The white people are really middle of the pack on average. I don't see why academia and F500 employers don't skew the competition for the Chinese or the Arabs? Why doesn't white privilege afford them the same preferential treatment as other minority groups? Is the idea that you should be enabled to aid or privilege based on the past performance of people who have similar ancestral background or similar pigmentation in their skin or is it that all groups other than whites should be subsidized due to whites having a strong financial history in a historically white country? It seems the application of this idea is inconsistent and there's less of a white privilege and more of a White-Pacific-Middle Eastern privilege.

I am sure I'll just get called racist or whatever for sharing my experience but this will never make sense to me.

With regard to Streep's comments, I have no idea what she meant. If had to guess she was making some sort of strange comment about foreigners in Hollywood as compared to football/MMA which in her opinion is mainly Americans. I dont really see it as a race comment, I see it as a foreigner versus American comment. That being said, the mixed martial arts part seems to show that she is likely clueless about the sport.

First of all, I am glad that you said Jews and Asians were not white, and then complained about how successful they are. I mean it must be really easy to be a Jew, youre the smallest of all the minorities AND you dont get any benefits of being a minority. That must really be envious to regular "white" people who are the majority and dont get any benefits. So the conclusion of your argument is basically that "white" people should get some preferential treatment compared to Asians/Jews (who are minorities that receive no benefit from affirmative action) because Asians/Jews are doing better without any preferential treatment?

This makes no sense. I read your anecdote and I sympathize that someone you believe is less qualified than yourself received benefits that you did not get. But at the end of the day, its still better to be a white male in this country. I know its probably impossible to understand, but not being eligible for a scholarship or someone else getting preferential treatment at a job, doesnt really compare to the things that many minorities have historically gone through and that some continue to go through on a daily basis.

As someone who technically lives on both sides of the line of minority and majority, I understand why its hard for the majority to ever understand what it really feels like to be a minority. But what I can say is that if any minority gets a scholarship or takes my job, I dont blame the system. Maybe that is the part of the Asian/Jew culture that is seemingly lost, its holding yourself personally accountable. I never once worried about what other people were doing or going, because the only reason why I didnt get a scholarship or whatever, was because I didnt put the time effort into it.

As a white male, I absolutely believe life is "easy mode". Now that doesnt mean everyone can succeed at easy mode. It just means that someone like myself has built in advantages that make it so I have honestly never had a real job in my life. And I also realize that if I hadnt been born with my privilege there is a chance Id be in jail.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
I read your anecdote and I sympathize that someone you believe is less qualified than yourself received benefits that you did not get. But at the end of the day, its still better to be a white male in this country. I know its probably impossible to understand, but not being eligible for a scholarship or someone else getting preferential treatment at a job, doesnt really compare to the things that many minorities have historically gone through and that some continue to go through on a daily basis.

I normally like your posts, but you really appear (to me at least) to not be listening to him. His story was pretty interesting. You basically told him, 'that's all well and good, but let me tell you how it really is.' All I know is people are people. Why can't we all just get along?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
I stopped reading here. Never once complained about how successful Jews are and you can't quote me doing so. There's a big difference between acknowledging their disproportionate amount of wealth in this country and complaining about it. I typed up that post and thought to myself that I shouldn't I even press post because I'd get a silly response like this. Amazing you can try and paint me an anti-semite when one of the underlying points of my post was that the whole idea of affirmative action is bs when you look at the Jews. They're the most discriminated people in the history of the world but they keep on achieving despite discrimination. Amazing what a full embrace of family, education and sticking together can to for a culture's aggregate earning power.

I thought your post was very professional if that's the right word and stated nicely and worthy of a read in a society that likes discourse. I'm glad you posted it, but I understand what you are saying about hesitating before posting it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
I actually bet many of them would, just like I do - as someone in the entertainment business who knows a lot of people in the entertainment business.

I wish they'd be asked about it, then, put them on the spot like others who have to admit to "white privilege" when approached on campus last year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 06:33 PM)
That isnt how I interpreted what she was saying. right after she said MMA, and people started cheering, she said "those are not 'the arts'". I think her point was if you remove movies and music etc all you have is football and MMA, and that isnt everything we need(according to her).

I thought it was a strange shot at MMA and Football for sure

That's why she shouldn't have gone there at an awards show. Yes, I applaud her first amendment rights. Doesn't mean it was a proper speech.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 01:12 AM)
you're literally, 100% ignoring my words.

Being white puts you ahead of the pack inherently. What you do with that advantage is up to you, but that doesn't mean you don't have the advantage.

So what do you want America to do about this issue? In a perfect world what is the solution so everybody can get along and prosper?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
I have no self control and have to respond to all of your mischaracterizing and faulty conclusions here.

1.) That wasn't a matter of a qualification. It's a "LAUNCH" program. An acronym that starts with Latin American and African American. I was not allowed the same head start because of my skin color. Companies give opportunities to certain minority groups at an earlier juncture than age equivalent students of other races. That's discrimination and if the ethnicities were swapped in this scenario you would entirely be up in arms over it. I understand that certain minorities went through a lot of s*** at the behest of fair skin people. That being said, my family hasn't been here long and my family was poor as recent as my parents' generation. I don't believe in reparations being forced on upon people of similarly fair skin when my ancestors were in Italy, Ireland and Poland being poor.

2.) I don't blame the system for a minority getting a scholarship or "my" job I blame the system for not offering me the same opportunity as others. There's no white male scholarship. There's no early start in business for white guys. I blame the system for preferring to hire people other than white males because it's better for the organization's reputation. All I ask for is a meritocratic process but I guess I am racist loon for that. You would think that is in the best interest of all fair-minded individuals. That being said, I accomplished everything I set out to before I went to college. I just wish I didn't have as much debt as I do now and I wished scholarships were offered solely on merit/participation as opposed to being based on things that are outside of an individual's control.

3.) "If I hadn't been born with my privilege there is a chance Id be in jail." What does that even mean? While I wouldn't stoop to the level to misconstrue someone's words into making them seem racist to make my point, I could easily say, "Oh, so all non-whites are criminals?" This is such a silly statement. I am not criminal because my parents are good people. My parents planned to have children they could afford and had the personal attributes to foster and nurture myself and my siblings. If my parents were purple and had the same values and priorities I wouldn't just end up in prison because I am not white. You'll say, "You don't know what it's like, you've never dealt with police as a minority." That's true and I don't deal with them as a majority either. Ever since I graduated to legal drinking age and bought a decent radar detector I have had no relationship with police officers. The extent of our relationship is me nodding at them when I get on/off the train.

Your posts are well thought out and very reasonable. In any true discussion about this issue, your takes are very valuable.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
you go ahead and quote where I said that.

You never said those words, but those are the exact words you alluded too.

"Isn't straight white male privilege awesome" were almost your exact words, in response to me saying I'm enjoying my life. It's not a jump to take that as you saying, "Well of course your life is awesome, you're white".

It's what you meant...and you know it.

:P

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
3.) "If I hadn't been born with my privilege there is a chance Id be in jail." What does that even mean? While I wouldn't stoop to the level to misconstrue someone's words into making them seem racist to make my point, I could easily say, "Oh, so all non-whites are criminals?" This is such a silly statement. I am not criminal because my parents are good people. My parents planned to have children they could afford and had the personal attributes to foster and nurture myself and my siblings. If my parents were purple and had the same values and priorities I wouldn't just end up in prison because I am not white. You'll say, "You don't know what it's like, you've never dealt with police as a minority." That's true and I don't deal with them as a majority either. Ever since I graduated to legal drinking age and bought a decent radar detector I have had no relationship with police officers. The extent of our relationship is me nodding at them when I get on/off the train.

I thought his comments about "easy mode" were beyond simplistic and just without thought.

Being successful is never easy mode, even if a person happens to think it was. All those years of schooling, or working to get where you are isn't "easy". I hate when people paint with a broad brush like this because it undermines the thousands of decisions that landed us where we are today. Any one of those decisions could have been a life altering mistake...life isn't easy, and for him to dismiss his own success is telling. Maybe he's a trust fund kid that never had to care. I wasn't. I worked 2 jobs when I went to college full time.

White or f***ing green...that s*** was not easy, and for any of you to try to tell me it was...well, up yours.

I have no self control and have to respond to all of your mischaracterizing and faulty conclusions here.

1.) That wasn't a matter of a qualification. It's a "LAUNCH" program. An acronym that starts with Latin American and African American. I was not allowed the same head start because of my skin color. Companies give opportunities to certain minority groups at an earlier juncture than age equivalent students of other races. That's discrimination and if the ethnicities were swapped in this scenario you would entirely be up in arms over it. I understand that certain minorities went through a lot of s*** at the behest of fair skin people. That being said, my family hasn't been here long and my family was poor as recent as my parents' generation. I don't believe in reparations being forced on upon people of similarly fair skin when my ancestors were in Italy, Ireland and Poland being poor.

2.) I don't blame the system for a minority getting a scholarship or "my" job I blame the system for not offering me the same opportunity as others. There's no white male scholarship. There's no early start in business for white guys. I blame the system for preferring to hire people other than white males because it's better for the organization's reputation. All I ask for is a meritocratic process but I guess I am racist loon for that. You would think that is in the best interest of all fair-minded individuals. That being said, I accomplished everything I set out to before I went to college. I just wish I didn't have as much debt as I do now and I wished scholarships were offered solely on merit/participation as opposed to being based on things that are outside of an individual's control.

Discrimination is the classic #itsdifferent from the liberal crowd.

1) The problem is that you keep making it about your specific situation. I am not that fond of "affirmative action" etc, its not really my thing. I completely understand why certain people have pushed for it and I do believe that there is some evidence that all things being equal a company is likely to hire a non-minority over a minority. I am not sure if it actually accomplishes anything and maybe there are better ways to solve this problem but it is not a personal issue. I am third generation on both sides of my family. At the turn of the century my family was extremely poor living in Russia, Ireland, Italy and across Scandinavia. Those facts have nothing to do with why certain minorities are being given privileges. The reason those minorities are getting this privilege is because recently and even today, minorities are not being hired merely because they are a minority. And that I do not support. Now again, this is a very hard issue to get facts on, because its very hard to tell if candidate A wasnt hired because they are a minority or if candidate b was hired because they are white. So perhaps the pendulum swung a little bit in favor of the minorities this time.

2) This is somewhat answered by the first response, but the problem is that historically (and maybe even today) minorities did/do not have the same opportunities. So while you are correct in your specific/limited circumstance, the other person had a "better" opportunity, it is supposedly offset by the fact/opinion that in general minorities have "worse" opportunities. Again, I do not know if this is true or not today. Historically I feel pretty confident that it was the case. When it exactly ended (or if it has ended) is hard for me to say. As for college debt, I have a completely different solution that would entirely end the debate about this, but it would require people in the United States agreeing that education is important and that we shouldnt let colleges gauge students. That being said, many scholarships are merit based. Some scholarships are not. Without knowing the specific scholarship, I do not know if it was privately based. Because if its a private scholarship, then they should be able to do what they want with their money, and I believe (although I havent checked or researched) that I could set up a NFP scholarship for people of "European descent" and that there would be nothing that could be done to stop me.

3) It has nothing to do with minorities being criminals etc. It has everything to do with the fact that since I was a white kid from the suburbs I was given leniency when I got in trouble. Now its hard to tell if this was because I was "white" or "wealthy", but where I am from white kids are given much more leniency when they get in trouble. Professionally I can also say that in my experience white kids are generally given much more leniency then "minorities" when it comes to arrest, charges, etc. But in my opinion, those are the facts. If I was a minority it is my belief that I would have potentially gone to jail for things I did, as it was, I was a white kid from the suburbs, so I got out of everything.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
I thought his comments about "easy mode" were beyond simplistic and just without thought.

Being successful is never easy mode, even if a person happens to think it was. All those years of schooling, or working to get where you are isn't "easy". I hate when people paint with a broad brush like this because it undermines the thousands of decisions that landed us where we are today. Any one of those decisions could have been a life altering mistake...life isn't easy, and for him to dismiss his own success is telling. Maybe he's a trust fund kid that never had to care. I wasn't. I worked 2 jobs when I went to college full time.

White or f***ing green...that s*** was not easy, and for any of you to try to tell me it was...well, up yours.

You are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion it was easy. Again I cant be certain if this is the "white" or the "wealthy" part of the equation. And if someone were to say to me "You dont understand what it is like to be poor", I would absolutely agree with them. For a brief moment when I was born my parents had no jobs, but I never actually experienced what it would be like to be told "no" because we couldnt afford something.

And of course I dismiss my own success, its because I tell it like I believe it is and because I know people who have actually had to work/try to get where they are. Now I am not saying that for you it was easy, maybe it was extremely hard. All I can say is that for ME, it was easy mode and due to that fact I am willing to try and find ways for other people to be able to enjoy that same "easy" life.

I dont care if youre white, black, whatever, life should be easier. And so in my opinion, life is easier for someone in the "majority" as compared to someone in the exact same circumstances as a "minority", but I am very willing to concede that a super rich minority has an easier life than a super poor person in the "majority"

/shrugs

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Discrimination is the classic #itsdifferent from the liberal crowd.

But affirmative action isn't discrimination against whites. It's leveling an uneven playing field by providing greater opportunities to minorities who have historically been denied those opportunities. So it is different, because they are two entirely different things...

You can argue that the playing field has been leveled and attempts to level the playing field are no longer necessary (stats would not back you up on that, but you could make that argument), but to call it "discrimination" is just flat out wrong.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
You never said those words, but those are the exact words you alluded too.

"Isn't straight white male privilege awesome" were almost your exact words, in response to me saying I'm enjoying my life. It's not a jump to take that as you saying, "Well of course your life is awesome, you're white".

It's what you meant...and you know it.

:P

No. What I meant was that it's easy right now, in this moment in history, to sit back and play video games and feel good about your life when you're a straight white male. If you were ANYTHING but that, you'd have a lot more fear, a lot more unease, and a lot more concern about what's coming.

Isn't straight white male privilege awesome?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
Maybe saying "easier than a person who's black or gay or a women [etc.]" rather than saying straight-up "easy" would be more appropriate?

I will concede that the more accurate statement should be "easier than a minority in a similar situation." The ultra wealthy female, likely has it easier then the super poor white guy. I just assumed that people were reading the "similar situation" part.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
I will concede that the more accurate statement should be "easier than a minority in a similar situation." The ultra wealthy female, likely has it easier then the super poor white guy. I just assumed that people were reading the "similar situation" part.

There's a word specifically for that sort of thing-intersectionality. You'd quickly get buried in academic jargon and I only understand it on the very surface level, but it's basically for exactly that type of situation you're describing. Poor people of any gender, race, sexuality obviously have it tough in this country, and intersectionality looks at the various ways those classifications interact in society. Being wealthy obviously gives you a pretty hefty leg up, but being black and wealthy doesn't preclude you from being accused of crimes, harassed at high-end stores, pulled over by police because you're driving too fancy of a car.

edit: I've always liked Scalzi's video game difficulty level analogy

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
But affirmative action isn't discrimination against whites. It's leveling an uneven playing field by providing greater opportunities to minorities who have historically been denied those opportunities. So it is different, because they are two entirely different things...

You can argue that the playing field has been leveled and attempts to level the playing field are no longer necessary (stats would not back you up on that, but you could make that argument), but to call it "discrimination" is just flat out wrong.

When you create specific policies that mandate that only people of X color or X religion qualify, it is the definition of discrimination. You can justify it all you want, but it's a discriminatory policy that we're ok with.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
When you create specific policies that mandate that only people of X color or X religion qualify, it is the definition of discrimination. You can justify it all you want, but it's a discriminatory policy that we're ok with.

I look at it as an attempt to neutralize existing discrimination.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)

But affirmative action doesn't say no whites allowed. It doesn't say only people of X color, or X religion qualify. It says that, hey, some people of X color, or X gender, or X religion who are under represented and have historically been denied access on the basis of prejudice have to be allowed in. That's not discriminating against white people...

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
It discriminates white people when these policies give minorities preference over white people or when opportunities are afforded to a minority group only as opposed to anyone interested. It's discrimination when minorities have laxed standards relative to their white counterparts.

When I was a kid we used to say two wrongs don't make a right. Now a days, two wrongs do make a right and I am not allowed to talk about it because of my skin color and lack of understanding.

By that logic, the very act of integrating schools was a discriminatory act. After all, allowing African-Americans admission to previously all white schools caused some white student to not get admitted...

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Which discrimination are you speaking to?

Where do I begin? The history of this country is wrought with racism and discrimination. I'm surprised you were not aware of this as it's common knowledge.

Here's a simple google search result that could give you a high-level overview.

Where are all the people of Arab or Middle Eastern descent who have flown up into the top ranks of Fortune or Forbes companies in the last 15 years?

Where are all the women and Asians being allowed to lead VC firms and investment banks? Indian-Americans? What about their representation in Congress, where the real power is?

The fact of the matter is that it's still the top 3-5% of wage earners in the US controlling the power, and that group is disproportionately Caucasian.

They may allow Chinese and Indians a stable/upper middle income existence, but the historical record shows that Silicon Valley traditionally has hired more qualified IT workers from those two areas of the world and paid them 40-60% of their white counterparts.

At any rate, it's interesting that the one thing holding a lot of Middle Eastern-Arab countries back economically is that women aren't allowed an opportunity to receive an education or become independent financially. Doesn't it make sense for the US as well as the rest of the world to prioritize making that happen?

And that still doesn't come close to rebalancing the fact that 80-85% of those living on less than $2 per day are from sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.

But let's turn back to the US. If I want to work in the front office of any professional or even minor league sports team, my chances are 10x better as a white than a minority (or a sportswriter for that matter)...so I'll throw that NBA analogy back, just like my chances of making partner with a big name law or accounting firm, VC firm, high tech start up, K Street lobbying group or think tank, etc., are exponentially higher.

On a lesser level, compare the number of minorities with scholarships for softball, tennis, water polo, field hockey, swimming and diving, lacrosse, etc. I bet you'll find it's disproportionately white again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Where do I begin? The history of this country is wrought with racism and discrimination. I'm surprised you were not aware of this as it's common knowledge.

Here's a simple google search result that could give you a high-level overview.

TNC's provocatively titled "The Case for Reparations" article from a few years back detailed the history of discrimination in housing policy, both public and private, throughout the 20th century pretty well.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
But affirmative action doesn't say no whites allowed. It doesn't say only people of X color, or X religion qualify. It says that, hey, some people of X color, or X gender, or X religion who are under represented and have historically been denied access on the basis of prejudice have to be allowed in. That's not discriminating against white people...

I'm talking more about the situations where the state only accepts bids if you're a woman or minority (Rauner just did this in the fall and i'm pretty certain the City of Chicago has a similar program: http://www.govtech.com/budget-finance/Illi...usinesses.html). Or where schools create specific gender or race or religious related scholarships or grants. But even with affirmative action it's not as simple as "diversity is great!," it's putting in place application procedures to give preference to minority candidates. O'Connor literally called it a "racial preference" in her opinion.

What bothers me is that on a macro level that seems fair and just - whites get the vast majority of the business or spots in school, minorities don't, so why not increase that number? The problem is on the micro level when individual white applicants are screwed based on nothing more than their color, something we're not supposed to be ok with. The argument is basically "get over it, you're privileged" which is bulls*** because that person might not be.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
Which discrimination are you speaking to?

One example would be hiring bias. Studies have shown that applicants with "black-sounding" names are significantly less likely to get callbacks than those with "white-sounding" names when they have identical resumes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upshot/t...cial-bias-.html