Meryl Streep; Keith Olbermann

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Let's hope the new health care plan is good. I don't want people to suffer obviously.

As far as the election and not voting for either ... we agree to disagree only because you guys think Hillary was an OK choice considering the opponent was Trump. I, meanwhile, think both were equally bad. I can't change your minds on Hillary's horribleness so go ahead and think I'm an uncaring beast when I merely consider Hillary also unfit to lead hence the no vote.

The new healthcare plan might be OK. You never know.

Right now, there is no new healthcare plan. It has been 8 years and there is still no replacement option from the GOP.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
Right now, there is no new healthcare plan. It has been 8 years and there is still no replacement option from the GOP.

White Sox trade Jose Quintana for three players to be named later

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)

Because if there was a real option or if they didnt just want to kill it, they could have worked with Democrats to "improve it". Do people really think Obama wouldnt have passed laws that were intended to improve Obamacare?

But as we know, Mitch McConnell wont support any bill that may give credit to Democrats. So now we have a house that is completely built, but has some leaks in the roof. Instead of fixing the roof at a low cost, we are going to tear down the house and then design a new much better house sometime in the next 3 years.

THANKS OBAMA!

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
Could you flesh that out? What do you mean by "barely even covered anymore?" The ACA requires health care plans to provide a threshold level of care that previously didn't exist. Is it just higher deductible? Higher premium? Doctors not accepting the exchange policies?

All the minimums are met but it's a complete joke as to what used to be offered.

-Many companies just closed their doors. Most of the few left refuse to offer individual plans in this area.

-Of the couple companies that still offer policies, one requires you to only see their personal doctors that work for their company. The other major provider took all the top hospitals and doctors off their network available for individual plans.

-Between the skyrocketing premiums and limited networks, trying to purchase a PPO plan is a giant waste of money, it's only worth it to buy an HMO plan with minimal coverage so you don't get fined by the government. If it wasn't for my kids, that fine would sound mighty appealing as opposed to my insurance premiums.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Could you flesh that out? What do you mean by "barely even covered anymore?" The ACA requires health care plans to provide a threshold level of care that previously didn't exist. Is it just higher deductible? Higher premium? Doctors not accepting the exchange policies?

When the Affordable Care Act was passed it actually anticipated this - there would be companies who would come in, underestimate their costs, and take large losses. The ACA included money to offset these losses in order to keep insurers on the markets.

Marco Rubio stripped basically $3 billion of that money out of there by inserting an amendment into a budget bill, dumping those losses onto insurance companies when they had budgeted assuming that money would be there. As a consequence, a number of insurers walked away in 2016 after he did that. They took losses that they weren't supposed to take based on how the law was written.

Some insurers would have left anyway. United Healthcare pulled out as a protest over the Justice Department refusing one of their merger acquisitions, they literally left money on the table to play politics. But this cute little sabotage was Marco Rubio's way of hurting the President by hurting people.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
For gosh sakes, greg. For gosh sakes.

*retreats back to the shadows, aka Santiago, Chile on a Friday night, which is so much better than being in America right now*

I'm guessing that depends on who you are.

As much as I might complain about certain things, life is pretty awesome here in America/Chicago.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
I'm guessing that depends on who you are.

As much as I might complain about certain things, life is pretty awesome here in America/Chicago.

White Sox

Bears

Bulls

Cubs

Trump.

Ok, you've got the Blackhawks and better Pizza than me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
White Sox

Bears

Bulls

Cubs

Trump.

Ok, you've got the Blackhawks and better Pizza than me.

Honestly, despite being a sports forum, those things rank pretty low in my life as to why I'm loving life.

It's not perfect by any stretch, but me complaining is just bulls***, because there are billions in this world with actual complaints. I play video games, watch wrestling, etc...s*** could be worse.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)

Kellyanne detailed a plan on Hannity tonight. I confess I wasn't listening intently enuf to explain to you what it is, but she was rattling off details.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 11:36 PM)
For gosh sakes, greg. For gosh sakes.

What up Reddy? What did I say that made you say that? What u disputing?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
Honestly, despite being a sports forum, those things rank pretty low in my life as to why I'm loving life.

It's not perfect by any stretch, but me complaining is just bulls***, because there are billions in this world with actual complaints. I play video games, watch wrestling, etc...s*** could be worse.

straight white male privilege is awesome, isn't it?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
straight white male privilege is awesome, isn't it?

Uh, if it were that simple, sure.

I hate when people say s*** like this because it undermines everything I've accomplished, and frankly, it's bandied about way too often for my liking these days. I know plenty of straight white males that are dismal failures because their white privilege didn't help them accomplish much in life.

While I'm positive it didn't hurt to be a white male, it didn't get me a degree, or a career, or a good marriage...it also didn't stop me from getting arrested and thrown in jail for graffiti vandalism when I was but a young buck, either.

Edit: Point is, I know plenty of straight white MISERABLE people. I'm not loving life simply because of that as you are alluding too.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
"kellyanne detailed a plan on hannity" is one of the quickest ways I've ever seen someone torpedo their own argument

Followed by "I wasn't listening but she rattled off details"

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)

I hate when people say s*** like this because it undermines everything I've accomplished, and frankly, it's bandied about way too often for my liking these days. I know plenty of straight white males that are dismal failures because their white privilege didn't help them accomplish much in life.

While I'm positive it didn't hurt to be a white male, it didn't get me a degree, or a career, or a good marriage...it also didn't stop me from getting arrested and thrown in jail for graffiti vandalism when I was but a young buck, either.

Edit: Point is, I know plenty of straight white MISERABLE people. I'm not loving life simply because of that as you are alluding too.

Sorry dude. If you want to be a cool white guy, self depreciation is the only way to go.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)

It IS that simple. Just because some people with straight white privilege failed doesn't mean they didn't have straight white privilege. It just means they sucked at life. Come on, you're a smart guy. Straight white males are running the same marathon as everyone else, their starting line just happens to be about a mile or two into the race already.

EDIT: btw, I'm fully aware of my privilege as well. That wasn't meant as a jab at you specifically. But privilege got us both where we are. We weren't born black on the South Side. That gave us a leg up out of the gate.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
It IS that simple. Just because some people with straight white privilege failed doesn't mean they didn't have straight white privilege. It just means they sucked at life. Come on, you're a smart guy. Straight white males are running the same marathon as everyone else, their starting line just happens to be about a mile or two into the race already.

EDIT: btw, I'm fully aware of my privilege as well. That wasn't meant as a jab at you specifically. But privilege got us both where we are. We weren't born black on the South Side. That gave us a leg up out of the gate.

Again, just because you're a straight white male doesn't mean you automatically love life.

This is absurd.

And no, it's NOT that simple.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
That's not really what privilege means, though. It doesn't mean you automatically "win", just that it's generally easier for you.

Nothing here I wouldn't agree with.

But Reddy is basically saying of course I love life...I'm white. And I think that's patently absurd and simplistic.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
That's not really what privilege means, though. It doesn't mean you automatically "win", just that it's generally easier for you.

Who gets credit for starting this white privilege issue nationally? Who is the one person who first brought it up? Somebody should ask the liberal white Hollywood people if they are willing to admit their white privilege. I wonder how many would cave and smile at the interrigator and say, "Well of course I do. Thanks for asking. Of course I admit my white privilege, every day of my life."

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Nothing here I wouldn't agree with.

But Reddy is basically saying of course I love life...I'm white. And I think that's patently absurd and simplistic.

That's literally not what I said. I said you had a leg up, and that in Trump's America you will continue to have a leg up, and as such, it's easy for you to sit back and "enjoy life".

Edited by Reddy