Fangraphs Giving Todd Severson Some Love

Boopa1219

My favorite quote

Steverson said he and Donaldson had many discussions. He admitted they butted heads on occasions, though he said the A’s never tried to change Donaldson’s hitting philosophy. But Steverson emphasized that Donaldson did not revamp his swing overnight. Rather, it required incremental improvement over multiple seasons.

“I had him in 2011 and also as a coordinator. We had many talks,” Steverson said. “Donaldson is a very good hitter. He’s an evolution-istic hitter, if that’s a word… If you go back and look at his videos with the A’s to where he is now, he has a smaller leg and no leg kick. He had a small leg kick, and then bigger, and bigger — until he finally figured out what works for him. That is an evolution of an approach. It doesn’t come overnight. Kids that think they can do this overnight, it ain’t going to happen.

Could it possibly be the evolution of Avi's swing coming to fruition the same way as Donaldson's.

Avi pulling that ball for the bomb last night was the biggest eye opener to me. He hasnt been able to pull for power in all the time he has been here.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Could it possibly be the evolution of Avi's swing coming to fruition the same way as Donaldson's.

Avi pulling that ball for the bomb last night was the biggest eye opener to me. He hasnt been able to pull for power in all the time he has been here.

And that was a bomb too. Estimated at 423 feet, almost made it to the second deck. It was a no doubter off of the bat.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)

As others have mentioned, he had that stretch a few years back where he was pulling a bunch of homers. We're all hoping that something has clicked and there's some positive signs for sure but don't get too excited yet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
As others have mentioned, he had that stretch a few years back where he was pulling a bunch of homers. We're all hoping that something has clicked and there's some positive signs for sure but don't get too excited yet.

Avi is clearly fixed, and now a perennial MVP type, and Steverson has these guys swinging the bats. .217/.278/.356. A team .634 OPS. Outstanding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Avi is clearly fixed, and now a perennial MVP type, and Steverson has these guys swinging the bats. .217/.278/.356. A team .634 OPS. Outstanding.

What's your boy Greg Walker up to these days? ;)