JR "Ozzie can't come back as Manager"

southsider2k5

JR is all about loyalty to the White Sox organization from the bottom to the top. I see that discussed here from time to time, such as when he brought former players like Getz, Thome, and others back into the organization.

The flip side of JR is when he perceives that someone has been disloyal in some way, or unappreciative, or when someone does damage to the organization for their personal benefit.

As far as rating the worst Managers in Sox history (or let's say over the last few decades of for as long as one can remember) I have Robin Ventura as the worst. That is saying something because I liked him as a player and wanted him to succeed in that role.

I initially liked his laid back style, which was welcome departure after Ozzie , but that quickly got old, just like Jay Cutler's sideline demeanor.

Renteria pisses me off because he bunts too much in situations that I often disagree with.

Sorry for the long post.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)
I would take him back as manager. Maybe not my first choice but his teams largely came ready to play for him. His roster control (even if not official) was a bit out of control though. Out of the 5 last managers he's by far the best of them.

You must not have been watching in 2011.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
JR is all about loyalty to the White Sox organization from the bottom to the top. I see that discussed here from time to time, such as when he brought former players like Getz, Thome, and others back into the organization.

The flip side of JR is when he perceives that someone has been disloyal in some way, or unappreciative, or when someone does damage to the organization for their personal benefit.

As far as rating the worst Managers in Sox history (or let's say over the last few decades of for as long as one can remember) I have Robin Ventura as the worst. That is saying something because I liked him as a player and wanted him to succeed in that role.

I initially liked his laid back style, which was welcome departure after Ozzie , but that quickly got old, just like Jay Cutler's sideline demeanor.

Renteria pisses me off because he bunts too much in situations that I often disagree with.

Sorry for the long post.

Robin Ventura was not a good manager, but within the last 30 years, I don't know that you'll find anyone worse than Bevington. He is one of the worst managers in the majors in that time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Robin Ventura was not a good manager, but within the last 30 years, I don't know that you'll find anyone worse than Bevington. He is one of the worst managers in the majors in that time.

100% this. He was the worst tactician I can remember AND he was awful with people.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
If I remember correctly, wasn't it Bevington who signaled to the bullpen for a pitching change but didn't have anybody warming up?

I was a this game sitting in RF. It was before they remodeled the stadium, so the seats still had a perfect view of the perfectly inactive bullpen in LF of the White Sox. I will never forget the bullpen door opening and the bullpen catcher coming out and putting him arms up in a WTF do you want manner. It was awful.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/847238-...g-blunders-ever

Terry Bevington: Answering the Call

4 of 5
    In the middle of the 1995 season, the Chicago White Sox fired their manager, Gene Lamont, and promoted third-base coach Terry Bevington to manager. And despite having a winning record as the Sox manager, Bevington made one of the most head-scratching blunders the game has seen.

Heading into the eighth inning of a September 1997 game, the Sox were in front of the Indians 3-0. Tony Castillo started the inning as the fourth pitcher of the game for the South Siders. After allowing two hits (and recording one strikeout), Bevington removed Castillo from the game and delved into his beleaguered bullpen.

Next up was Jeff Darwin, who promptly surrendered a base hit to Manny Ramirez—the first and only batter he would face that evening. So with the bases loaded and one out in the inning, Bevington summoned Tom Fordham from the pen. He gave up a run-scoring single and a sacrifice fly to the only two men he faced, and all of a sudden the Indians were within a run of tying the score at three.

So Bevington came out of the dugout and made the call to the bullpen for a right-hander. The only problem was, there was no right-hander warming up. In fact, there was not a single pitcher throwing in the pen. So Keith Foulke answered the call, completely cold. He came in and intentionally walked the first batter to face him so that the Sox could get somebody warmed up in the bullpen.

This opened the floodgates, as the Indians went on to score five more runs in the inning, and wound up winning the game by a score of 8-3. The White Sox fired Bevington after the 1997 season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
I was a this game sitting in RF. It was before they remodeled the stadium, so the seats still had a perfect view of the perfectly inactive bullpen in LF of the White Sox. I will never forget the bullpen door opening and the bullpen catcher coming out and putting him arms up in a WTF do you want manner. It was awful.

It also was on the day the Sox retired Fisk's #72.

Edited by Lip Man 1