DNAinfo.com and The Gothamist closed down effective immediately

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Employees voted to unionize last week. This week Joe Ricketts decided the business wasn’t making enough money and closed down, going so far as to immediately scrub the sites from the internet

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/...-gothamist/amp/

Ayn Rand would be proud.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
Uh, yeah, holding the team hostage in order to get taxpayers to pay for his location and then give him a sweetheart lease isn't an altruistic move.

Municipalities are being raped on the deals now a days see Atlanta for instance.

Reinsdorf got a vanilla stadium that serves its purpose. Why the ISFA does not utilize the park is on them not the White Sox.

Imagine the revenue it that was a retractable dome that could host he Super Bowl or a final four?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
Municipalities are being raped on the deals now a days see Atlanta for instance.

Reinsdorf got a vanilla stadium that serves its purpose. Why the ISFA does not utilize the park is on them not the White Sox.

Imagine the revenue it that was a retractable dome that could host he Super Bowl or a final four?

Are there any baseball stadia that could actually host a modern super bowl? Don't you need like 70k seats?

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
Do you think any modern sports owner says "May I really want to buy the Marlins, seems like a great return on investment!"

I could see an angle where the Marlins would be a great investment. Revenue sharing, national TV money, etc. I could easily have seen a scenario where the Marlins, if you literally just ran them into the ground, would be incredibly cash flow positive. To be honest, I think that is exactly why the group bought them this past time (and they are operating it under that belief). Run as lean as you can on your individual payrolls / books and than make pure profits on the revenue sharing / TV money out there.