Dealing with the 40 man roster crunch

ron883

This isnt an issue I have seen since I have been following the Sox closely. Not sure if it has happened to the Sox ever to this extent. The Sox have a lot of prospects. They're won't be able to protect all these guys from the rule 5 draft. 

I haven't been able to find any list that shows Rule 5 eligible players for next season. Would be interesting to see how the white sox are looking. Will they package some of the lower end, Ryan Cordell-esque prospects in deals for prospects with less minor league service time? 

I looked at the current 40 man and it is easy to guess that 6-8 players won't be here next year based on expiring contracts, hopefully a trade or two, and outright releases.  That said, I think we will still have a crunch and it will get worse in 2019.  Yankees, who are further along than us, with a strong farm had around 5 players selected in the major and minor league portions.  It makes sense to trade some of those off after the season and before the draft if you can.  Hoped Future Sox might do this as next project after mid season update....hint hint hint.

I’m not sure I see this being a huge issue just yet.  We have 15 players or so that will be gone or can easily be let go of by this offseason.  And quite frankly, I’m not sure there are that many guys that will need to be protected.  I believe we’re talking about the college picks from the 2015 draft class for the most part, so Stephens & Zavala will need to be added to the 40 man, maybe a guy like Mendick for depth.  We don’t really have any LatAm or high school guys that require protection to my knowledge.